• Thanks Yanks

Posted by on September 8th, 2012 · Comments (13)

Yesterday morning, we had to put one of my dogs down.

It was a sudden thing. With almost no warning, her body just gave out.

She had a full and great life. She turned 15 years old last June. So, in dog years, she was something like 106 years old. She was very much loved and gave us back a ton of love in return.

My wife and I knew that this day would be coming, eventually. Not too many medium sized dogs make it to fifteen. But, we were still very sad yesterday – and still are today.

My kids, who are eight and ten, are very upset. This dog has been with them for their whole life.

We got another dog when they were two and four. And, he’s still with us – and is a wonderful dog. And, that helps them now. But, it doesn’t change the pain they are dealing with at this time.

In any event, it was great that the Yankees won yesterday…in the fashion that they did it. Last night, as their bed time approached, was very difficult for the kids with everything that went on that day. The shock of everything was really taking root. And, for my son, our younger child, the game was a good distraction (at times).

So, thanks, Yanks – even more than usual – for the win.

Comments on Thanks Yanks

1. Scout
      September 8th, 2012 | 9:03 am

A cherished pet is very much a part of the family, so I understand that this is a tough loss for all of you.

2. 77yankees
      September 8th, 2012 | 2:22 pm

I know how you must feel – I had a dog throughout my teen years & into early adulthood, and it was comforting to know that no matter what went wrong in my day, there was always someone waiting at home who needed me.

And even though it’s been over 15 years since he’s been gone, I still have his picture on my desk.

3. redbug
      September 8th, 2012 | 4:57 pm

Dogs are the best creatures on this earth.

4. September 8th, 2012 | 5:39 pm

Thanks all.

We went through this 7 years ago too: http://waswatching.com/2005/11/04/a-personal-note/

That was a hard one as well. But, the kids were just 1 and 3 at the time. This time, with them being 8 and 10, it’s much harder.

And, the sad part is, with our other dog now being 6 1/2, we’ll probably be going through it again in another 6 or 7 years.

It’s never easy.

5. Garcia
      September 8th, 2012 | 6:23 pm

redbug wrote:

Dogs are the best creatures on this earth.

Agreed. Sorry about your loss Steve. I know my dog means the world to me.

6. KPOcala
      September 8th, 2012 | 7:05 pm

Sorry for your loss Steve. I’ve been through it, and awful as it was, my wife and I didn’t have children to deal with. I can’t imagine how it must be for you.

7. LMJ229
      September 8th, 2012 | 10:04 pm

So sorry for your loss Steve. I’ve been there many times myself and it just never gets any easier. In fact, I actually think it gets harder. My oldest Lab will turn 13 in a couple of months so I’m trying (unsuccessfully) to prepare myself for the inevitable. Gonna go hug my dogs now …

By the way, I found that the only thing that truly helps is to get a puppy. Like Redbug said, dogs are the best creatures on this earth.

8. September 8th, 2012 | 11:05 pm

@ Garcia:
      @ KPOcala:
      @ LMJ229:
      Thanks.

Not sure if a puppy is the answer for us. The kids are just too heartbroken now. And, last time, it took my wife and I six months before we got another dog. You have to get closure first, and that takes time.

Also, our other dog is now somewhat depressed. He knows that something happened. He lost his alpha. He needs time too.

9. LMJ229
      September 9th, 2012 | 9:35 am

@ Steve L.:
      Steve, I understand exactly how you feel. I felt the same way. I felt that rushing into another dog would be disrespectful of the memory of the dog I had lost. I too felt I should wait and my other dog was depressed as yours is now. We have always been a two dog family so I have gone through this many times. The last couple of times we decided to get a puppy right away. It definitely helped our other dog. As you know, dogs are pack animals so they don’t like to be solitary. And I have to admit it helped us as well. Puppies are so cute and funny they are therapeutic. In fact, having a puppy actually reinforced our love of dogs. And I still love and cherish the memories of all my deceased dogs. But I understand it is a very personal decision. Good luck to you and your family.

10. September 9th, 2012 | 10:28 am

@ LMJ229:
      Thanks.
      Or other dog has been sulking the last couple of days. And, worse, the kids go back to school next week. I do worry about him being home alone when my wife is running errands during the week. But, a puppy like having a baby…it’s a lot of work. Not sure we’re ready for that yet.

11. redbug
      September 9th, 2012 | 10:43 am

@ Steve L.:

I adopted 2 adult dogs from shelters, already house broken and past the chewing stages. Both fantastic companions.

12. September 9th, 2012 | 11:32 am

We’ve always gotten our dogs from shelters. It’s the right thing to do, IMHO.

Our first two – which includes the one that just passed away – we got from North Shore Animal League in L.I.

At that time, we lived in Staten Island. And, it was a long ride, but, worth it.

And, we got our current dog there too – even ‘tho we were in NJ by then.

We did it on Mother’s Day 2006. Imagine driving from NJ, thru S.I. and Brooklyn, and then on the L.I.E, with two kids in the car, then ages two and four, in that traffic. It took us FOREVER. But, it was worth it. He’s a great dog.

September 9th, 2012 | 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss Steve. Things’ll get better, they always do. I never had a dog, but I have friends that have had them, and I’ve seen what they’ve gone through. Like Scout said, it’s like losing a member of the family.