• Beltway Baseball

Posted by on September 25th, 2012 · Comments (6)

What a story it would be if these two teams met in the World Series this year.

Now that I have said that, just watch, it will be a Cubs fan nightmare Fall Classic:  White Sox against the Cardinals.  (Kind of like the 1986 World Series for Yankees fans – where you want both teams to lose.)

Comments on Beltway Baseball

1. JeremyM
      September 25th, 2012 | 11:34 pm

Time to take Logan out of the oven- he’s cooked.

Guess it’s too much to ask for the Yankees to make things easier on themselves, huh? Frustrating loss of a very winnable game.

2. September 26th, 2012 | 7:19 am

@ JeremyM:
      Hughes set the table on the loss. He deserves part of the blame too.

Yankees magic number is 4. They’re fine. They are going to make the wildcard, at the least.

3. JeremyM
      September 26th, 2012 | 7:38 am

True Steve, but the wild card is not the same as winning the East.

Agree on Hughes, but I would have rather he been given a shot to “become a man” and clean up his mess than bring in the overworked and not that good anyway Logan. Such is life.

4. September 26th, 2012 | 9:55 am

@ JeremyM:
      I hear you. Winning the WC, esp. if you’re the 2nd one, will suck. There’s a ton of risk there.

On Hughes, Girardi is getting roasted today. But, I totally understand it. Hughes was at 99 pitches at that point. And, we’ve all seen, including Joe, Hughes implode at the 100 pitch mark this season. And, that’s why he made the change.

Also, let’s not discount Martin not blocking that pitch. That was huge here too.

5. Evan3457
      September 26th, 2012 | 12:48 pm

Steve L. wrote:

@ JeremyM:

Remarkably, you and I are in agreement about Hughes/Logan.

I think we’re the only ones.

September 26th, 2012 | 12:49 pm

Steve L. wrote:

On Hughes, Girardi is getting roasted today.

Can’t say that I’m surprised. It could’ve gone either way. I would’ve rather Hughes stayed in there, but with the top of the order, I understand why Girardi went with Boone. A few things stood out to me that inning;

A couple of walks on close pitches
      Jeter and Granderson playing out of position, which may or may not be related to pitch selection.
      Boone going to a 3-2 slider on Span
      Martin not blocking the slider in the dirt.
      Nix being the last hope