• If The Yankees Lose Today

Posted by on September 26th, 2012 · Comments (19)

If the Yankees lose this afternoon against the Twins, then you can break their season down, to date, as follows:

• They went 21-21 in their first 42 games.
    • They went 36-13 in their next 49 games.
    • And, they went 32-32 in their last 64 games.

Kind of a stale bread sandwich, no?

Comments on If The Yankees Lose Today

1. Evan3457
      September 26th, 2012 | 12:39 pm

24 games over is 93-69.

2. September 26th, 2012 | 1:00 pm

@ Evan3457:
      sometimes the story of the journey is more important than the facts on the final destination

3. Garcia
      September 26th, 2012 | 1:18 pm

Steve L. wrote:

@ Evan3457:

I don’t care. Getting to the post season is all that matters. You don’t play 3 different seasons, nor do you play 162 seasons, you play one regular season, one post season, and I will measure the Yanks based on that on two season: regular and post. Knock yourself out with your cherry picked numbers.

4. September 26th, 2012 | 1:23 pm

@ Garcia:
      Getting to the post-season is OK, even if you back in, or, barely hang on to what was once a huge lead?

September 26th, 2012 | 1:31 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Yes it is, because there are a bunch of teams who won’t be making it. Regular season performance means little in the postseason.

6. Garcia
      September 26th, 2012 | 2:00 pm

@ Raf:
      Right.

7. Pat F
      September 26th, 2012 | 2:00 pm

Heard an increidble stat the other day:

If you remove everything the Yankees have ever done, all the way back to their Baltimore roots in 1901, then they actually would never have existed as a franchise.

The dramatic effect is pretty incredible when you start slectively slicing, dicing, removing, and qualifying things.

8. September 26th, 2012 | 2:18 pm

@ Pat F:
      Yankees have been winning lately. Figured you’d show up soon. Where were you hiding from August 16th through September 8th?

9. September 26th, 2012 | 2:19 pm

BTW, after the top of the 3rd inning today, there’s no way the Yankees lose this game today. So, the point is moot.

10. Evan3457
      September 26th, 2012 | 2:41 pm

Steve L. wrote:

No way?

I never so “no way”.

Let’s agree that it’s very unlikely.

11. Pat F
      September 26th, 2012 | 2:46 pm

@ Steve L.:

I’m not really sure how to respond to that. I don’t take baseball, and certainly not this website, seriously enough to “hide” because the Yankees are losing and then re-emerge because they are winning. That’s one of the more ridiculous things I’ve ever heard.

I rarely ever comment here (although I do read fairly frequently). The timing of my comments have no conscious nexus to how the Yankees are doing. However I suppose it does make some sense that I would comment more when they are winning, as that is when your reasoning is usually flawed (as here) because you try to make it seem like they are losing. Hence my absurd hypothetical above to make that point. When they are losing and you make it seem like they are losing, tough to disagree there.

You always seem to think the issue is that “everybody else” is too positive, without acknowledging the possibility (if I can type that word with a straight face) that you are too negative and will go to great lengths to construe facts to achieve that objective.

12. September 26th, 2012 | 3:04 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Let’s agree that it’s very unlikely.

8-1 now. Twins ain’t coming back in this one

13. September 26th, 2012 | 3:06 pm

@ Pat F:
      Yeah, it’s probably just a cowinky-dink that you last posted on 8/14 and then were to be found, or heard, when the team was sucking badly from 8/16 through 9/8. And, now, you have shown up again when the magic number is 4. Pure cowinky-dink.

14. Pat F
      September 26th, 2012 | 3:47 pm

How@ Steve L.:

Correct, hard as it may be to believe, on 8/14 I didn’t factor in whether the Yankees were in the middle of a micro-cycle of winning or losing when I initially commented on the Yankees macro-pitching performance over the last 7 years (and, ultimately agreed with you after a clarification on your part) and later on a macro-evaluation of a GM who has been at his post for 15 years! How the Yankees are playing in a given two weeks, month, or even this year is irrelevant to those analyses.

You’ve made, what, 20 posts this season on this type of breakdown? Winning, losing, my response would be the same. But, since you’re slicing the season up this way and asserting I’d only be interested in commenting on a baseball blog in good times, how many times did I comment during the 36-13 vs. the 32-32. I know you only like to cite facts that support what you want to believe, but I’d be interested to see those numbers.

15. September 26th, 2012 | 4:12 pm

@ Pat F:
      Sorry, I don’t entertain trolls.

16. The Sandman
      September 26th, 2012 | 4:37 pm

Steve L. wrote:

@ Garcia:

Of course – the only thing that matters is getting to the post season. In 1996 the Yankees got in as a wild-card and ended up winning the WS after losing the first 2 games at home to the Branves. In my opinion the only thing that mattered is that the Yankees won the WS.

17. Pat F
      September 26th, 2012 | 5:34 pm

@ Steve L.:

So you (unsolicited) cite the timing of my comments to prove a point, and I suggest a broader look at the exact same thing you cited to prove a point to the contrary, and I’m trolling? Makes sense.

It’s my fault for engaging such a ridiculous topic in the first place. You accused me of commenting when the Yankees are winning, which should be a good thing, and says more about your general outlook than anything else.

18. September 26th, 2012 | 10:22 pm

The Sandman wrote:

Really? See: http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/1996.shtml

19. The Sandman
      September 26th, 2012 | 10:47 pm

@ Steve L.:
      I knew that was a mistake as soon as I posted it, but the point still stands – all that matters is getting to the post season, then winning the WS.