• A-Rod’s Last 118 Plate Appearances

Posted by on October 2nd, 2012 · Comments (11)

In his last 118 PA, Alex Rodriguez has a BA/OBA/SLG line of .243/.314/.350 (with 31 K’s).

And, worse, overall, on the season, to date, his Slugging Percentage is .426 (in 518 PA).

The Yankees have batted him 3rd or 4th most of this season, when A-Rod was not disabled.

Can they really afford to carry his no-power bat in that spot anymore?

Comments on A-Rod’s Last 118 Plate Appearances

October 2nd, 2012 | 12:51 pm

The binder says yes. I mean the horror of having consecutive RHB’ers!

2. October 2nd, 2012 | 12:54 pm

I know. Ruth and Gehrig both batted lefty and batted back-to-back in the line-up.

If you can hit, you can hit, I always say.

October 2nd, 2012 | 1:01 pm

Steve L. wrote:

If you can hit, you can hit, I always say.

Yep. You don’t last very long in the majors if you can’t hit same handed pitching. I’m not going to rant on Girardi, or call him the worst manager in history, but this is one of his habits I take issue with.

4. Garcia
      October 2nd, 2012 | 1:43 pm

It’s an insult to have ARod batting 3rd. I hate seeing him there, and it’s about time Girardi grow a pair of “Torre’s scrotum” and bat that POS 7th, 8th, or 9th.

Just when I’m about to give up on Granderson and go full bore hate on him (I actually like Grandy a lot, so I’m kidding on hating him), the guy launches one into the seats or does something defensively, I’m way past that point with ARod. Bat him as far down as possible.

5. October 2nd, 2012 | 1:59 pm

At this point, I think you have to bat him 7th – or maybe 6th if you want to have Ichiro as the 2nd leadoff hitter batting 9th.

I would still bat him ahead of Martin and the DH, if it’s Ibanez or Jones – just so that you don’t totally mess with his head.

But, for sure, at this point, I think Ichiro, Tex, Cano, Jeter, Granderson and Swisher should bat in front of him because they have more to offer at this point.

And, if he gets hot, then you can always move him up again.

It’s not like moves are written in stone.

6. PocketAces
      October 2nd, 2012 | 3:18 pm

For what it is worth I disagree:

Leave him where he is at……he is such a headcase/egomanic that this change cannot take place going into the playoffs.

They will have to win with him where he is……and next season, Girardi will need to take the skirt off and tell A-Rod how it is going to be.

7. Evan3457
      October 2nd, 2012 | 4:45 pm

I think Granderson doesn’t deserve to move up. Not sure if Swisher won’t press too much as the #3.

I say leave it alone. They’ve won 3 of 4 and 14 of 19.

8. LMJ229
      October 2nd, 2012 | 9:10 pm

You gotta wonder how and if Girardi’s constant line-up changes affects the players. I know the players downplay it, but I do believe that the lack of a consistent line-up has a negative effect on the players, similar to the way a bullpen needs to have defined roles.

October 2nd, 2012 | 9:14 pm

@ LMJ229:
      No matter where they are in the lineup, the batter’s job is to get on base and score. Just like bullpen roles, a pitcher’s job is to get outs when he is called in.

10. LMJ229
      October 2nd, 2012 | 9:15 pm

For the record, I would go with:
      1) Jeter
      2) Ichiro
      3) Texiera
      4) Cano
      5) A-Rod (he should be batting no higher than this)
      6) Granderson
      7) Swisher
      8) Martin
      9) Nunez (DH)

11. LMJ229
      October 2nd, 2012 | 9:18 pm

@ Raf:
      Yeah, but you gotta admit that, at least with the bullpen, their roles do affect their pitching. Look at how ineffective some of the closers are when you take them out of that role. And most, if not all, managers do like to have defined roles for their bullpens.