• Mark 9/5 Down On Your Yankees 2012 Calendar

Posted by on October 5th, 2012 · Comments (16)

Via Andrew Marchand -

It was early September in Tampa and the Yankees were falling apart.

They had been alone in first place for 84 days. On July 18, their lead had been 10 games.

Six weeks later, they were tied with the Orioles. Infamy stared them in the face. If the trend continued, they would go down as the Yankees team with the largest blown lead in franchise history.

So, at a 20-minute meeting at Tropicana Field on Sept. 5, players you would expect to talk stood up and addressed their teammates, led by Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez. Others who you might not think would speak up at such a meeting did as well, most interestingly Rafael Soriano.

They all, though, took their cue from the Captain.

A Yankee, who was in that road clubhouse on Sept. 5, told ESPNNewYork.com that Jeter’s message was simple: “We have been here before. We know know we can do it. It is just time go out there and perform.”

“Jete was the textbook leader that he is, keeping it simple, giving us confidence that we can do it,” Russell Martin told us. “The thing about Jete is that he doesn’t talk that much to the team, generally, throughout the year. He did it a couple of times this year, but when he does say something you open your ears and you listen to what he has to say because he probably has the best mentality in being a competitor and what it is all about. This guy is tremendous. There is a reason he has so many at-bats in a year because he never gives up any at-bats. He is the type of guy, no matter what the situation or what the score is, he is going to give you his best effort and, to me, that is remarkable.”

The impact of such meetings is debatable. In hindsight, it is easy to point to team meetings when a club turns its play around following a get-together. From Sept. 5 on, the Yankees went 18-8 to finish with the best record in the American League. Martin confirmed that Jeter, Rodriguez and the unlikely veteran, Soriano, spoke.

“Jete talked, Al talked and Soriano talked,” Martin said.

Soriano can talk? Really? Wow.

Comments on Mark 9/5 Down On Your Yankees 2012 Calendar

1. Scout
      October 5th, 2012 | 8:33 am

Slightly off point, Steve, but did you note that this year Jeter finished with more RBIs than A-Rod. I don’t believe that has ever happened before, and I doubt anyone expected it.

2. October 5th, 2012 | 9:42 am

Yup. Jeter had him beat by one this year.
      Of course, Jeter also played 37 more games.

3. MJ Recanati
      October 5th, 2012 | 9:54 am

I wonder what Soriano said to the team. It wouldn’t surprise me if Mariano spoke to the team but I wouldn’t have expected a guy that’s only been on the team for two years to get up there (especially since he’s a bullpen guy and most of them are basically the equivalent of punters/kickers on a football team).

In any case, Soriano certainly doesn’t lack for confidence, that’s for sure.

4. October 5th, 2012 | 10:59 am

When I read that, it sounds like a lot of players had something to say. maybe Soriano just endorsed something that someone else said? In any event, it’s good that he said something. He very easily could have just sat there, quiet, counting the days till he opts out.

5. EHawk
      October 5th, 2012 | 11:02 am

6. MJ Recanati
      October 5th, 2012 | 11:55 am

Steve L. wrote:

It’ll be very interesting, that’s for sure. The market for closers isn’t what it used to be (Philadelphia’s baffling and idiotic offer to Papelbon notwithstanding) so I wonder if Soriano would rather get $14M guaranteed next year or roll the dice and potentially end up with 2Y/$18M when he’s clearly expecting 3Y/$36M.

7. MJ Recanati
      October 5th, 2012 | 11:59 am

EHawk wrote:

Interesting. If I were him I’d take it down a notch because he’s been less than stellar since mid-August and running his mouth only sets him up for failure/blame if he blows a game next week.

8. MJ Recanati
      October 5th, 2012 | 12:06 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Then again, Soriano is just the kind of show-boaty asshole that actually believes he’s indispensible.

#F**kTheUntuck
      #HateSoriano

9. October 5th, 2012 | 12:32 pm

If Soriano doesn’t opt out, I wonder if Cashman will try and low ball Rivera with an offer – and then that gets ugly.

10. October 5th, 2012 | 12:33 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      And, for the record, I hate the untuck. I know that Girardi tries to down play it, pointing at Rodney and Valverde, but, it’s still not cool.

October 5th, 2012 | 12:38 pm

EHawk wrote:

I was surprised to hear him say so much.

12. 77yankees
      October 5th, 2012 | 12:56 pm

Maybe Michael Kay should ask Soriano if he thinks he’s an elite closer. :-)

13. MJ Recanati
      October 5th, 2012 | 2:24 pm

Steve L. wrote:

And, for the record, I hate the untuck

Once in a while, you and I agree on something! :-)

Happy Friday!

14. redbug
      October 5th, 2012 | 6:25 pm

@ EHawk: Not sure if anyone else heard Soriano’s interview on YES after the game the other night but he basically said if it wasn’t for him performing the the way he did this year then the team wouldn’t be where they are. Jack Curry then said after that Soriano is 100% correct.

I can’t stand this guy. He may’ve done fine this year but he learned nothing from watching Mo last year.

15. Evan3457
      October 5th, 2012 | 8:02 pm

Steve L. wrote:

@ MJ Recanati:

Knowing Mariano as I like to think I do (which is to say, not really), I think he’d view taking less money for next year as the right thing to do, inasmuch as he was paid a lot of money for this year, and he missed most of it.

Especially with Jeter back for one more season for sure, and possibly Andy as well.

16. Evan3457
      October 5th, 2012 | 8:04 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Steve L. wrote:
      And, for the record, I hate the untuck
      Once in a while, you and I agree on something!
      Happy Friday!

Yeah, I’m not thrilled with the untuck, either.

It’s still a Dennis Rodman value, and I prefer Joe DiMaggio values. On the field of play, anyway.