• 2 Biggest Stats For O’s-Yanks ALDS Game 1

Posted by on October 6th, 2012 · Comments (11)
    1. Baltimore outscored New York, 92-90, in the 18 regular-season meetings this season.
    2. CC Sabathia has a 5.00 lifetime ERA in eight Division Series appearances (seven starts), with 26 walks issued in 36 innings.

The Birds are going to score some runs in Game 1. The Yankees bats better be ready to answer that…

Comments on 2 Biggest Stats For O’s-Yanks ALDS Game 1

October 6th, 2012 | 9:49 am

The O’s also thumped CC to the tune of .312/.376/.558

Any word on the playoff roster?

Chen and Saunders are the only lefties in the O’s rotation. Saunders pitched yesterday, so he wouldn’t be available until game 3 in NY.

I imagine the Yanks rotation breaks down as CC-Kuroda-Pettitte-Hughes. Barring rainouts, of course. Bullpen would be Soriano, Robertson, Joba, Logan, Lowe & Phelps. Maybe Rapada, if Girardi feels he needs a second lefty. Probably Eppley, because Girardi loves having options, though I don’t see what he offers that Phelps, Joba & Lowe don’t. At least Lowe and Phelps can offer length if a starter is knocked out early, or if a game goes extra innings. And Joba & Robertson are your short guys. Soriano will probably come in for 1+ inning save opportunities.

On the other side of the ball; Ichiro, Granderson, Swisher, Rodriguez, Jeter, Cano, Teix, Martin, Stewart, Ibañez, Chavez, Nuñez, Nix (if healthy).

I’d imagine it would be some combination of Gardner, Jones & Eppley vying for the last spots.

2. Evan3457
      October 6th, 2012 | 11:07 am

Yanks will score in Camden Yards. They almost always do.

3. EHawk
      October 6th, 2012 | 1:06 pm

I thought they said Pettitte will pitch game 2

4. LMJ229
      October 6th, 2012 | 4:27 pm

Sorry for being off topic here but did anyone see that horrific infield fly rule in the Braves-Cardinals game? In light of the (ridiculous) call, I was wondering, why didn’t the Cards go for a double play on the play? Clearly the runners moved up without tagging. Am I missing something here? As far as I know, the runners still have to tag up on an infield fly, correct?

5. Corey
      October 6th, 2012 | 4:38 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I was wondering, why didn’t the Cards go for a double play on the play?

Cause the catch was not made.

6. Corey
      October 6th, 2012 | 4:40 pm

@ Corey:
      Real Answer:

When the infield fly rule is invoked, the batter is out (and all force plays removed) regardless of whether the ball is caught, thus negating the possibility for multiple outs.

October 6th, 2012 | 4:53 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I was wondering, why didn’t the Cards go for a double play on the play?

8. LMJ229
      October 6th, 2012 | 5:39 pm

@ Corey:
      I can understand removing all force plays so that the runners can’t be called out if the fielder drops the ball either by error or on purpose. But that just allows the runners to stay put without penalty instead of having to advance. But can the runners advance without tagging? That kinda doesn’t make sense to me. Some guys can take two bases while the ball is in the air.

9. LMJ229
      October 6th, 2012 | 5:47 pm

Raf wrote:

I’m still trying to figure out when the umpires conferred, why didn’t they overturn the call? It’s not like it hasn’t happened before (ARod’s slap tag interference comes to mind as did George Brett’s pine tar HR). Not that it was the reason the Braves lost, but such a bad call should not be allowed to stand.

Amen Raf. I just cannot believe they did not overturn that call. It’s just typical. One guy makes a horrible, completely unjustifiable call and the other five guys support it so that their guy doesn’t look bad. And the Commissioner’s rep (in this case Joe Torre) upholds it. Just unbelievable. They would rather get the call wrong than swallow their pride. Next time Selig talks about “the integrity of the game” I’m gonna puke.

10. JeremyM
      October 7th, 2012 | 12:05 am

I’m hoping Showalter is starting to believe all of the hype and is outsmarting himself by starting Hammel tomorrow. (I’m assuming it’s because he’s a “veteran” even though he’s avoided that stuff throughout the season and played a number of young guys to great effect.) Guy hasn’t pitched in nearly a month and hasn’t really had that solid of a career, so hopefully the Yanks can take advantage.

11. MJ Recanati
      October 7th, 2012 | 8:58 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Agreed. Sports leagues, at this point, are merely rubber stamps for their officials’ incompetence. We’ve seen it in the NBA and the NFL and we see it in baseball too.