• Yankees Prospect Mason Williams Has A Bad Attitiude?

    Posted by on October 9th, 2012 · Comments (16)

    I saw this in the print edition of Baseball America today -

    Rated the No. 1 prospect in the short-season New York-Penn League last year, [Mason] Williams needed just three months in the SAL before earning a promotion to high Class A. His plus-plus speed and center-field defense are his loudest tools, and he also offers a quick bat and average power. His arm grades as average as well.

    Williams lost some of his appeal to league managers and scouts alike because of questions regarding his makeup. He reportedly caused a few headaches for the Charleston staff and turned off observers with the way he carried himself on the field. “He’s got tools but needs to be humbled,” a National League scout said.

    Well, I guess that’s the good news and bad news on Williams, all in one shot, eh?

    Shame – considering he’s probably one of the Yankees top three position player prospects in their system right now.

    Comments on Yankees Prospect Mason Williams Has A Bad Attitiude?

    1. Corey
      October 9th, 2012 | 12:44 pm

      If he’s as good as they say, then it won’t matter. If he’s not, then it still won’t matter because he’ll be gone.

    2. October 9th, 2012 | 1:14 pm

      @ Corey:
      Disagree.
      Carl Everett had talent. But, his attitude worked against him.
      Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge had some skills. But, you see where they ended up, thanks to their attitude.
      Attitude counts.

    3. MJ Recanati
      October 9th, 2012 | 1:20 pm

      Corey wrote:

      If he’s as good as they say, then it won’t matter. If he’s not, then it still won’t matter because he’ll be gone.

      More or less agree. I’m not completely on board with the theory because makeup can affect a willingess to be coached and that can impact a player’s ability to make the necessary adjustments to keep on advancing.

      My general feeling, however, is that these sorts of stories are overblown because there is no context. Mason Williams turned approximately seven weeks ago. Before we write someone off or judge them, let’s give them a chance to grow up first. These sorts of stories are always written with the “Joe the plumber” populist mentality that if we got to play a game for a living then, gosh darnit, we’d be model citizens. I hate that kind of bullshit.

      21 year old kids are assholes. Maybe not all, but just about every one of them. Mason Williams might be an asshole. Doesn’t mean he’ll be an asshole when he’s 25.

    4. MJ Recanati
      October 9th, 2012 | 1:23 pm

      @ Steve L.:
      Attitude counts but only to a point. In the case of both Dukes and Milledge, neither was good enoughat the MLB level that their talent was the reason why they’re no longer in the game.

      As for Carl Everett, he played 14 years in the league. His attitude might’ve impacted his absolute ceiling — although that’s debatable and hard to prove — but it certainly didn’t impact his ability to remain employed in the game.

    5. MJ Recanati
      October 9th, 2012 | 1:24 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      In the case of both Dukes and Milledge, neither was good enoughat the MLB level that their talent was the reason why they’re no longer in the game.

      Mistakes galore here.

      Correction: In the case of both Dukes and Milledge, neither was good enough at the MLB level that their attitude was the reason why the’re no longer in the game.

    6. October 9th, 2012 | 1:36 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      21 year old kids are assholes. Maybe not all, but just about every one of them. Mason Williams might be an asshole. Doesn’t mean he’ll be an asshole when he’s 25.

      Agreed 100%. Then again, some of these guys never grow out of it.

    7. MJ Recanati
      October 9th, 2012 | 1:38 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      some of these guys never grow out of it.

      Very true. As you pointed out, guys like Dukes, Milledge, Everett — even greats like Barry Bonds, Ty Cobb, Jim Rice, Eddie Murray and Steve Carlton — never got rid of the attitude.

      The hope is that the talent is enough to overcome the attitude and, in most cases except for the greats, that the attitude doesn’t impede the talent.

    8. October 9th, 2012 | 4:18 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Agreed 100%. Then again, some of these guys never grow out of it.

      Hello, Albert Belle.

    9. MJ Recanati
      October 9th, 2012 | 4:19 pm

      Brent wrote:

      Hello, Albert Belle.

      Barry Bonds.

    10. Raf
      October 9th, 2012 | 6:10 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      .
      Carl Everett had talent. But, his attitude worked against him.
      Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge had some skills. But, you see where they ended up, thanks to their attitude.
      Attitude counts.

      FWIW, Milledge is playing in Japan. What kind of bad attitude do I need to play in Japan, and where can I get one? :D

    11. Raf
      October 9th, 2012 | 6:12 pm

      There were reports about Tabata’s and Montero’s attitude when they were in the Yankees’ system too.

    12. February 28th, 2013 | 4:10 pm

      Any chance that Mason did not get a NRI to Spring Training this year because of his attitude? Tyler Austin and Slade Heathcott got invited. Shoot, Cito Culver got invited.

    13. MJ Recanati
      February 28th, 2013 | 4:37 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Any chance that Mason did not get a NRI to Spring Training this year because of his attitude? Tyler Austin and Slade Heathcott got invited. Shoot, Cito Culver got invited.

      Wasn’t he rehabbing some injury?

    14. February 28th, 2013 | 6:51 pm

      @ MJ Recanati:
      On WFAN today, when on the air, Cashman just said that he’s “not in this camp” implying that he was in the minor league camp.

    15. Raf
      March 1st, 2013 | 1:04 am

      Raf wrote:

      Steve L. wrote:
      .
      Carl Everett had talent. But, his attitude worked against him.
      Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge had some skills. But, you see where they ended up, thanks to their attitude.
      Attitude counts.
      FWIW, Milledge is playing in Japan. What kind of bad attitude do I need to play in Japan, and where can I get one?

      Nyger Morgan signed with a Japanese team too.

    16. Raf
      April 25th, 2013 | 4:42 pm

      Jeez, how’d we forget Milton Bradley?

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.