• So, Yankeeland, How Do You Feel About The Game Tonight?

Posted by on October 10th, 2012 · Comments (14)

Nervous?  Excited? Confident?  Something else?  You tell me…

Comments on So, Yankeeland, How Do You Feel About The Game Tonight?

1. October 10th, 2012 | 11:12 am

Interesting thought from Joel Sherman today –

The Yankees need to win tonight or else, if they were to advance, there is a scenario in which they would have to start Phil Hughes and David Phelps in the first two games of the ALCS.

Joe Girardi has not announced what his rotation is moving forward. But if the Yankees were to lose Game 3 tonight against Baltimore, it would seem likely they would send out CC Sabathia on short rest in Game 4 tomorrow to try to save their season, rather than stick with the scheduled starter, Hughes.

And if they were to win Game 4, then the Yankees would have to seriously weigh if Andy Pettitte is capable of pitching on three days’ rest in Friday’s Game 5. If so and the Yankees win the Division Series, then Hughes almost certainly would pitch the ALCS opener on Saturday at the Stadium.

Then the tricky stuff begins. Hiroki Kuroda, tonight’s starter, could come back on short rest for ALCS Game 2. But he threw a career-high in innings this year and seemed exhausted down the stretch. Thus, if the Yankees decide not to push him to work short, then the rookie Phelps would be the most obvious guy to start.

In that scenario, Sabathia could slot back in on normal rest for Game 3 and having a choice if he wants to start Pettitte on normal rest in Game 4 or Kuroda with a week off. If the Yankees get to an ALCS Game 6, Girardi again would have to face whether to use Sabathia short or Hughes.

But you see why winning tonight takes on even more of a priority.

2. MJ Recanati
      October 10th, 2012 | 12:19 pm

@ Steve L.:
      I don’t see how this works.

CC Sabathia pitched Game 1 of the ALDS on Sunday night. If the ALDS goes to a decisive fifth game — to be played this Friday, October 12th — Sabathia would be on normal four days rest. Given that, why would Andy Pettitte not start Game 1 of the ALCS which begins on Saturday, October 13th? We already know that Andy Pettitte won’t start another game in this series because it’s highly unlikely that Girardi would pitch him on short (three days) rest.

3. MJ Recanati
      October 10th, 2012 | 12:21 pm

To answer your question about how I feel tonight: not confident. I see the Yanks going down in four games in this series. The offense has been inconsistent all year so there’s no reason why it would change now.

4. October 10th, 2012 | 12:33 pm

I’m hoping that mystique and aura come to play tonight. But, if they didn’t show, I would not be shocked.

5. October 10th, 2012 | 12:34 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      In a Game 5, would you rather have Pettitte on three days rest or Hughes on an extra day’s rest? I think that’s what Sherman is asking. It’s a fair question.

6. 77yankees
      October 10th, 2012 | 12:58 pm

The fact that the Yanks would have to play five days in a row if they win this series in five is absurd scheduling. More from Buddy Selig’s Wheel of Idiocy after these messages………

7. nwyank
      October 10th, 2012 | 2:52 pm

Nervous? a little. Excited? yes. Confident? not much.
      The Yankees have a better team and should win this series. But scanning the past 10 years of NYY playoff baseball reveals multiple losses to inferior teams.
      2 runs against Chen? Only 2 xbh all game? not good enough. Offense needs to score 4+ and hope Kuroda can limit damage.
      No way to predict these things. I’ll watch with high hopes and a pint in hand; looking forward to a good sleep if/when they win!

8. G.I. Joey
      October 10th, 2012 | 3:38 pm

I am nervous and less than excited b/c I am not confident. I will be leading the chorus of boos when we begin to leave a village of runners in scoring position on the bags.

9. October 10th, 2012 | 4:40 pm

Well, Girardi said tonight, win or lose today, it’s Hughes in Game 4.

10. The Sandman
      October 10th, 2012 | 4:55 pm

Confident, Yankees in 4.

11. MJ Recanati
      October 10th, 2012 | 5:43 pm

Steve L. wrote:

In a Game 5, I want CC on regular rest. No point trying to tax Pettitte into doing something he hasn’t done for us and certainly no reason to pick the #4 starter to do the job if the #1 starter is available.

October 10th, 2012 | 6:08 pm

If something happens, CC should get the ball game 4, with Hughes at the ready in the pen. Worry about the ALCS when you get there.

13. LMJ229
      October 10th, 2012 | 6:56 pm

I’d feel more confident with a different line-up. Swisher batting fifth?! You gotta be kidding me. He provides zero protection for Cano. If I’m Showalter I walk Cano every time up if there are runners in scoring position. I’d also bat Chavez higher. I know its a small sample size but he has had success against Gonzalez. Chavez and Ibanez have homers against the guy while Swisher and Granderson are both hitless in 6 AB. Showalter must be loving this line-up.

My line-up would be: Jeter, Ichiro, A-Rod, Cano, Ibanez, Texiera, Chavez, Martin, Granderson

To answer your question: nervous, anxious, not confident (but very, very hopeful)

14. MJ Recanati
      October 11th, 2012 | 10:58 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Cano needs no protection if he’s going to swing at everything 18 inches out of the strike zone. Cano gives away AB’s like it’s nothing.