• Who Slapped A-Rod’s Ego More, Torre Or Girardi?

Posted by on October 11th, 2012 · Comments (12)

Did you see on the YES post-game coverage last night where Michael Kay said that Joe Girardi pinch-hitting for Alex Rodriguez was a bigger snub for A-Rod than when Joe Torre batted Alex eighth in the 2006 ALDS?

This got me wondering which was a bigger blow to the ego? And, I tried to picture how I would feel as a player in these spots.

To me, being told that I am batting eighth says to me: “We feel like there are seven other guys in the line-up who are better than you right now. And, we’re not confident that you will be able to do better than them in a big spot. But, we’re not taking you out of the game. So, you still have a chance to make an impact – if you can.”

But, being told that I am being lifted for a pinch-hitter says to me: “We feel like there’s a much better option now than you. And, we don’t think you have a chance in this big spot compared to someone else who is available. Rather than see you bat, we’re taking you out of the game.”

That said, I have to agree with Kay – and that’s not something that I usually would do…

How about you, what do you think?

Comments on Who Slapped A-Rod’s Ego More, Torre Or Girardi?

1. lardin
      October 11th, 2012 | 12:26 pm

Its all in the way you deal with the player. The way Torre handled the situation smelled like a manager who just wanted to embarrass a star player. Giradi handled the situation with class, he spoke to Arod and explained his logic and thought process and did not “lose” Arod. After batting 8th in the game against Detroit, Torre “lost” Arod.

As a former athlete and current coach, give me Giradi every day and twice on Sunday.

2. October 11th, 2012 | 12:30 pm

@ lardin:
      Agreed that Torre, while billed as the great communicator, often was passive aggressive with his moves. Probably the Godfather in him…

October 11th, 2012 | 12:54 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Because there has never been a batter in the 8th hole in a big spot? :P

4. 77yankees
      October 11th, 2012 | 1:22 pm

I forget, who would have been the alternative to start 3B back in 2006 vs the Tigers? Because if there was someone who gave them a better chance to win, maybe he would have been benched then too.

5. MJ Recanati
      October 11th, 2012 | 2:24 pm

77yankees wrote:

The pu-pu platter of Nick Green, Andy Phillips and Miguel Cairo. A-Rod wasn’t being benched for any of those guys.

6. October 11th, 2012 | 2:41 pm

Torre loved Miguel Cairo.
      IIRC, Torre benched Boone in favor of Wilson in Game 7 of the 2003 LCS. If Torre thought a scrub was a better option, he was not afraid to start him.

7. MJ Recanati
      October 11th, 2012 | 3:29 pm

Steve L. wrote:

If Torre thought a scrub was a better option, he was not afraid to start him.

Which, if true, tells you that Torre did not think one of these backups was a better option than Rodriguez.

8. 77yankees
      October 11th, 2012 | 4:15 pm

MJ covered most of my point. It’s not like he got PH for by Chris Stewart or Eduardo Nunez. Girardi sent up a PH who has basically carried the team the last two weeks, gotten 3 clutch hits previously, and has 300 some odd career HR.

To rebuke your question, Steve, I think it’s an apples and oranges type comparison. Maybe 2006 was worse, but I’m not really swayed one way or another.

October 11th, 2012 | 6:18 pm
    10. redbug
      October 11th, 2012 | 6:32 pm

If I were Arod, I’d hate either situation. !st time he’d been replaced.

I have to hand it to Girardi. I didn’t think he had the guts.

11. JeremyM
      October 11th, 2012 | 7:39 pm

To be honest, I don’t know. I would think that last night was the bigger “ego slap” because it was 100% the right move to make. Someone else was a better bet to get a hit than he was in that situation, and that should hurt a competitor. Getting old is hell.

On the other hand, Torre’s move was just flat out stupid. As I recall, A-Rod was raking going into October in 2006. Yes, September is not October, but everything was going fine for both A-Rod and the Yankees and for whatever reason in game 1 Torre decided to bat A-Rod 6th with Sheffield as the clean up hitter. To me, that was the bigger insult- the 8 spot was just insult to injury by that point. Now it really shouldn’t have been a big deal, but there’s no doubt it didn’t help things.

Did some fact checking and he had an OPS of 1.185 in September with 8 homers from the cleanup spot. I think the move is and was indefensible.

12. Evan3457
      October 11th, 2012 | 8:01 pm

The 2006 snub was the bigger slap, because A-Rod was still a top player, then. He isn’t a top player anymore.