• A-Rod Benched For Game 5 Of 2012 ALDS

Posted by on October 12th, 2012 · Comments (9)

Oh, boy, this is going to be interesting…

Comments on A-Rod Benched For Game 5 Of 2012 ALDS

1. October 12th, 2012 | 1:53 pm

Think Reggie is texting A-Rod and telling him that Billy benched him for Game 5 in the 1977 ALDS?

2. October 12th, 2012 | 2:02 pm

Girardi: Tough decision, but, with the struggles that he’s had against righties, we are going with Chavez. Eric had good ABs against right-handers all year. It’s something we have to deal with…

…it’s not easy. I had a chance to witness it first hand as a player. I saw Joe bench Tino for Cecil. As a manager, sometimes you need to make tough decisions.

3. 77yankees
      October 12th, 2012 | 2:03 pm

A little surprising given his career # off Hammel…..remember in 1977 Reggie was benched vs the late Paul Splitorff, whom Ken Holtzman allegedly said Reggie couldn’t hit with a paddle.

4. nwyank
      October 12th, 2012 | 2:25 pm

I’m no fan of ARod but I hope he gets a chance to hit in later innings, comes through, and everyone is happy.

5. Garcia
      October 12th, 2012 | 3:58 pm

I hope he comes in when the Yanks are ahead 8 – 0 in the 8th and hits a long bomb, like a 550 foot bomb.

October 12th, 2012 | 8:12 pm

I caught the game late on TBS, the broadcasters didn’t mention it nearly as much as I thought they would. Any reports on the sports radio and radio broadcasting side?

7. Evan3457
      October 12th, 2012 | 11:10 pm

The only surprising thing about is that Chavez was 0-for-the-series himself. And still is. But it had to be done; it sets the table for benching Swisher, and if need be, Granderson.

8. October 13th, 2012 | 9:46 am

Raf wrote:

Aside from Wally Matthews doing what Wally Matthews always does with A-Rod, not much, which I’m actually pleasantly surprised.

October 13th, 2012 | 11:05 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Swisher was removed last night for Gardner. Granderson may have gotten a stay of execution/benching with his HR.