• A-Rod Unhappy About Being Lifted For Pinch-Hitter In Game 4

Posted by on October 12th, 2012 · Comments (9)

Via the Ledger -

The game ended with Alex Rodriguez as a spectator again, and this time he didn’t exactly greet the demotion with a smile that lit up the room.

This time, he didn’t sound as supportive as he did the night before, when Raul Ibanez turned Game 3 into his career highlight reel and put the Yankees on the brink of a first-round victory. This time, Rodriguez pursed his lips and made his feelings pretty clear: He might have gone 1-for-4 with two more strikeouts, but he wasn’t the only guy who looked clueless against Baltimore pitching.

And he also made this clear: He didn’t expect to get lifted for a pinch-hitter in the 13th inning of the Yankees’ 2-1 defeat, which ended when Eric Chavez lined out to the game’s hero, Orioles third baseman Manny Machado.

“No, no — obviously I’ve gotten a look at this guy for a couple of days now,” Rodriguez said of closer Jim Johnson, “and I hoped it was a little bit different today, but it wasn’t.”

It wasn’t.

Joe Girardi had let the world know what time it was Wednesday night when he lifted A-Rod in the ninth and turned Ibanez into the darling of the Bronx, so this call wasn’t exactly surprising.

Unless you want to cite the evidence that A-Rod wasn’t much worse than anybody else, which is precisely what he did. He started the game off with a first-inning walk, which drew rousing cheers from 49,307 fair weather friends, and he even lined a single to left in the fourth inning off starter Joe Saunders.

But the next two plate appearances were strikeouts — against Tommy Hunter and Darren O’Day, who summarily blew him away with fastballs.

“I felt pretty good today at the plate, especially after the walk, and I hit a pretty good ball over the shortstop’s head,” he said. “(But) O’Day seemed to have everybody’s number tonight. And I certainly didn’t see it very well today.”

The second K was the killer. Rodriguez had a chance to give his team the lead in the eighth inning, with two men in scoring position and one out, but he was facing O’Day — a guy he’s managed to hit just once in seven tries. To the surprise of no one, A-Rod fanned on four pitches, the last one a rising fastball that he wouldn’t have hit with a tennis racket.

“It’s obviously frustrating,” he said. “I found myself in a few situations where I could do some damage, and I couldn’t get it done tonight.”

If I had a chance, I would tell A-Rod the same thing I told my 8-year son when he complained about batting 6th on his travel team line-up: If you hit great, you’ll bat higher. But, of course, in the case of A-Rod, the message would be: If you hit, then they won’t pinch-hit for you. So, shut up and hit.

Comments on A-Rod Unhappy About Being Lifted For Pinch-Hitter In Game 4

1. JeremyM
      October 12th, 2012 | 9:17 am

My complaint is it didn’t happen in the 8th. There’s not seeing O’Day well and there’s being owned. ARod was owned. He is 0 for 12 against right-handers in this series, with 9 Ks. By rights he should sit tonight.

2. October 12th, 2012 | 10:13 am
    3. MJ Recanati
      October 12th, 2012 | 10:40 am

JeremyM wrote:

My complaint is it didn’t happen in the 8th.

Huge mistake by Girardi there. Two on and one out and Ibanez is on the bench but none on and two out and Girardi decides that a walk-off solo HR is a more likely outcome than a sac fly.

Girardi is a very overrated manager.

4. JeremyM
      October 12th, 2012 | 12:35 pm

Girardi claims they would’ve walked Ibanez and pitched to Swisher, who could hit into a double play and waste Ibanez. OK, then pinch hit with Chavez and if they walk him, hope Swisher can do something. If you don’t think he can then bench him too. Chavez can obviously take third base and you still have Ibanez if needed. It ain’t engineering Joe!

5. redbug
      October 12th, 2012 | 12:47 pm

Arod, “I felt pretty good today at the plate”. If you look back, he’s said that after ea game.

I’m so done w/ him.

October 12th, 2012 | 12:56 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Yep.

October 12th, 2012 | 12:58 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Exactly. At any rate, force their hand. Hope Swisher could do something, or PR Gardner if Ibanez walks.

October 12th, 2012 | 12:59 pm

redbug wrote:

I’m sure he did. Unfortunately, it’s not about feeling, but about execution.

9. October 12th, 2012 | 1:09 pm

redbug wrote:

I’m so done w/ him.

Actually, this is something that pisses me off about these Yankees. Watch the post-game. See A-Rod, Swisher, Granderson, Tex, etc. They always have some spin “That’s baseball” or “I feel good but the results were not what I wanted” or whatever.

Just once I want one of these idiots to say “I suck” or “I let the team down” or “This is unacceptable.”

O’Neill, Posada, Tino – those guys hated losing and failure and never had the smiles and giggles that you see from A-Rod, Swisher and granderson after f’ed up games like last night.

The Yankees really miss guys who hate to lose.