• 2012 League Championship Series

Posted by on October 13th, 2012 · Comments (14)

Tigers-Yankees and Cardinals-Giants. (Man, Nationals fans must be kicking themselves today.)

So, who’s advancing to the World Series?

I think the National League is anyone’s guess. And, if the American League, if Cabrera and Fielder show up, and if the Yankees bats are as quiet as they were in the ALDS, we could see the Tigers advance. But, anything can happen. Miggy and Prince didn’t exactly light it up in the ALDS. Gotta play the games and see what happens…

And, of course, let’s go, Yankees!

Comments on 2012 League Championship Series

1. 77yankees
      October 13th, 2012 | 10:09 am

I missed the end of the Cards-Nats game…..Oh, man, to blow that big a lead in a sudden death game on your home field??? We’ll see how Washington reacts to this next year – whether they can use it as a learning experience, or whether they turn into the Pittsburgh Pirates after ’92.

And those Cardinals…like Jason in Friday the 13th…

Regardless, I picked Yanks-Giants in the World Series in the MLB.com bracket challenge, so no reason to waver now.

October 13th, 2012 | 11:02 am

“1 more out, lets do this nats” – college friend who was at the game last night.

I’m not going to lie, I was rooting for the Nats last night, and was hoping they’d run the table. A friend of mine was a Expos/Nats fan, and he passed last year.

3. rankdog
      October 13th, 2012 | 11:46 am

Steve,

Nice to see that passion and enjoyment of the team back. Keep the positive mojo flowing. Go Yanks!

4. BOHAN
      October 13th, 2012 | 12:04 pm

Was just looking at the schedule and why would they schedule game 2 for the same time as the Giants game????

5. #15
      October 13th, 2012 | 12:08 pm

It is hard to imagine the Yankees being as good on the bump as they were in the ALDS, and it is almost as hard to imagine them being as inept at the plate (Jeter and Ibi aside).

Still, we are moving on and that is all that matters.

I’d like to extract some real payback against the Tigers for last year. My teammates at the Yankee Fantasy Camp did our part in January, traveling from Tampa to Lakeland to play a pair against teams from the Tiger Fantasy Camp. They were very good hosts….. and very good losers :)

Now the big boys get a chance to even the score.

October 13th, 2012 | 12:11 pm

77yankees wrote:

With Zimmerman, Gonzalez and Strasburg, they should be fine. The problem with the Pirates is that they started dismantling the team after 1992. I don’t see such an indication from the Nats. If anything they may add more pieces; I can see them overreacting and trying to sign a closer.

7. Corey
      October 13th, 2012 | 1:04 pm

I don’t understand why Johnson didn’t pull Storen when he clearly couldn’t find the plate. I understand it’s your closer, but once the game was tied he should’ve been yanked.

Personally, I think The Yankee Clippard is their answer for a closer.

8. Corey
      October 13th, 2012 | 1:06 pm

Also, the Nats will be better next year by default with a full year out of Strasburg. If Strasburg had pitched they would have seen less Edwin Jackson, which means they could have won this series.

If I’m the Nats I thank Edwin Jackson for helping them reach the playoffs and I bid him a good day.

9. 77yankees
      October 13th, 2012 | 1:15 pm

BOHAN wrote:

I know, ridiculous, but when you think about it, FAUX has the NLCS in prime time, so that’s the only slot they have open. And MLB is not about to put their own games head to head against each other AND the Sunday Night Football game.

10. 77yankees
      October 13th, 2012 | 1:30 pm

Raf wrote:

I can see them overreacting and trying to sign a closer.

The effective closers year in and year out are few and far between, so that’d be a mistake. There’s a reason no one is going to catch Mo’s career saves record for another 10-15 years if ever.

For instance, Brian Fuentes led the ML in saves back in 2009 with 48. In the three years since he’s had 41 total and pitched for 4 different teams. So really, a sizable percentage of closers have a shelf life equal to 2% milk.

11. redbug
      October 13th, 2012 | 1:34 pm

@ 77yankees:

Maybe Soriano will hope to find a spot w/ them.

October 13th, 2012 | 1:58 pm

77yankees wrote:

I know that, you know that, but don’t underestimate teams, GM’s & owners.

13. JeremyM
      October 13th, 2012 | 2:41 pm

I’m likely a day late and a dollar short on this, but right now we have the last 3 World Series champs and the Tigers still alive. What that means I don’t know.

14. 77yankees
      October 13th, 2012 | 4:10 pm

redbug wrote:

@ 77yankees:
      Maybe Soriano will hope to find a spot w/ them.

LOL, maybe more like Scott Boras will hold the Strasburg free agent re-signing gun to their head to find Soriano a spot with the Nationals.

JeremyM wrote:

Cool fact – didn’t realize that. Almost like a Strat-O-Matic tournament come to life.