• Being There – 2012 ALDS Game 5

Posted by on October 13th, 2012 · Comments (7)

My son and I got up to the Stadium yesterday around 3:45 PM.  I think there were less than 1,000 people inside the Stadium when we first walked in…

And, in the first inning, it was worse.  I was embarrassed.  The seats were empty at the start of the game.  It seemed like there was maybe 20,000 people there at the first pitch, if that.  Where was the excitement that I promised my eight-year old?

It was pretty much that way for the first few inning.  But, people kept showing up – I even saw some people arriving in the fourth inning, tickets in hand, looking for their seats.

As the Stadium filled up – and it never was completely full – the place was getting more and more like a playoff game experience.

After the Granderson homer, I said to my son “We got this!”  But, then in the eight inning, we all starting getting very nervous.  When Mark Reynolds came to the plate with two on, I said, out loud, without realizing it “Oh, no.  Mark Reynolds.  I swear to God, if he hits one into the seats, I will vomit!”  (People around me thought this was funny – and, then, instead of it being me and my son at the game, it became me, my son, the guy next to me, the two couples behind us, and the two guys in front of us, all riding every pitch from there, together, like a family in a living room in front of a TV.)

Sabathia was the man, no question about it.  This is Yankees legacy material.

My son and I had an incredible time.  We were interviewed by some Asian news crew leaving the Stadium.  So, somewhere – Tokyo? – people watching television know how excited we were over this win.

Coming home, was brutal.  We live 50 miles south of the Stadium and it took us two and a half hours to drive home.  Most of that, about 75 minutes, was just trying to get from the Stadium to the George Washington Bridge.  But, it was worth it.

I just hope this is not 2003 all over again – where the Yankees put it all out there to win one post-season series and then didn’t have enough in the tank to be ready for the next one.

Comments on Being There – 2012 ALDS Game 5

1. EHawk
      October 13th, 2012 | 9:53 am

Well every other team still left had to put it all out there to win their series so that will be no excuse this time. It doesn’t seem fair that the Yanks had the best record in the AL and yet get no off day before the ALCS.

Anyway I got tickets to Game 6 of the ALCS so I’m really hoping it goes that far and I get to see my first postseason Yankees game in person at the Stadium. It would be especially awesome if its a great game and the Yanks win the series that game as well!

I grew up in NY and went away to college in DC in 1995 just when the Yanks started to be make the playoffs so I was never in NY for all the playoff years. I moved to Tampa like 6 years ago and just happened to schedule a trip back home to see my family next week and looked into getting tickets and saw a lot available so my friend and I got tickets to game 6. Really hope I get to experience one of those playoff Yankee Moments!

2. 77yankees
      October 13th, 2012 | 10:15 am

I think 20,000 at the beginning of the game is a generous estimate from the pics I saw. I’d go with maybe a third of that.

That goes back to what we were discussing yesterday. There was a 17 hour turnover from Game 4 to 5, and most people can’t just up end their plans or obligations on such short notice.

3. redbug
      October 13th, 2012 | 1:29 pm

The moat seats see about 50% empty ea game. I don’t know if they’re inside eating and drinking (why pay those prices and not sit in those great seats??)

4. October 13th, 2012 | 7:00 pm

I have pictures of the stands during the first inning, if anyone is interested. Let me know and I will do a post on it.

October 13th, 2012 | 9:30 pm

What was the reason for the traffic delay? How has your experience been wrt the construction? I remember you mentioning taking Grant Hwy to 95.

6. October 13th, 2012 | 10:29 pm

Raf wrote:

I’ve had no problems going in since the construction started. In fact, going in, for Game 5, I flew. I left my house – which again, is 50 miles away – at 2:20 PM and I was in the River Avenue Garage at 3:45PM, thereabouts.

Going home, it was as bad as it’s been for me, ever. It took about 20 minutes to get out of the garage. And, I’ve seen better and worse with that – even for days when it’s a big crowd and a close game where everyone stays.

And, I would say that it only took me about 5 minutes to get up River Avenue to 167th street. But, then, I was on Edward Grant Highway FOREVER. Usually, that’s just a few minutes, with no traffic. But, it CRAWLED and I was probably on it for about 40 minutes. That was the killer.

Why did it take that long? Just congestion, I suspect.

7. October 13th, 2012 | 10:30 pm

FWIW, once I got to the GWB, I flew over it and had no traffic getting to the NJT. And, the NJT was smooth sailing to the GSP.