• The Jeter Injury: The Mourning After

Posted by on October 14th, 2012 · Comments (12)

It’s weird.

I know what happened to Derek Jeter. I watched it, live, on television, as it was happening.  And, I got all the details as I stayed up to watch the post-game coverage on YES.

And, my 8-year old son knows that happened.  I told him as soon as he woke-up this morning.  And, he then quickly ran to his iPod to watch the video replay.

But, that’s it.  This morning, we’re both going about our business, taking care of what we need to get done, etc.  And, we’re not talking about Jeter, or the Yankees, at all.  And, that’s strange – given our passion for the team and the fact that they have a playoff game to play today.

Shock?  Denial? Our brains and emotions overtaken by the somber event?  Some combination of all that?

Are we the only Yankees fans feeling this way, the morning after?

Comments on The Jeter Injury: The Mourning After

October 14th, 2012 | 12:05 pm

I’ve been checking out my baseball pages as normal. It sucks, but what can you do?

2. LMJ229
      October 14th, 2012 | 12:20 pm

I’m very disaapointed for Jeter but I wouldn’t say I’m in mourning. He will heal and come back strong next year. His loss hurts the team’s chances for this post-season even more since he was one of the few guys who is performing. My lack of passion for today’s game comes from the expectation of watching Swisher, A-Rod, Cano and Granderson continue to strike out in big spots.

3. G.I. Joey
      October 14th, 2012 | 12:53 pm

I left the stadium at the top of the 9th and was kicking myself a half hour later when I got a text from a buddy saying it was tied. I’ve never left a postseason game early before, but I honestly didn’t believe the Yankees bats would wake up and I wanted to get a jump on the 4 train which for some terrible reason was running local that night. I made it back home in time to see Gardner come in. I was still kicking myself about leaving early and then it starts happening with Swisher losing the ball in the lights and Jeter injuring himself. I became borderline catatonic for about an hour. I’m not kicking myself so much today. I couldn’t have handled being there and that ride home would have been even more slow and terrible.

4. JeremyM
      October 14th, 2012 | 1:27 pm

I was expecting a bunch of stories about how A-Rod offered to play short with Jeter out, kind of like how Sheffield volunteered to play third when Boone went down, with Girardi turning him down the same way Torre turned down Sheffield. Maybe they’re still coming….

5. 77yankees
      October 14th, 2012 | 2:01 pm
    6. October 14th, 2012 | 2:08 pm

JeremyM wrote:

… so you think a 37-year-old declining player who hasn’t played SS for 9 years and already moved to 3B for Jeter while there is at least one better fielding alternative on the team should volunteer to play? You know well enough as I do that if that actually happened and if A-Rod made just one error at short, the irrational hate would be on a whole new level.

Then again, with Jeter out, I don’t expect reason to be prevalent among Yankee fans. Hell, I mentally blamed Swisher for a good hour after the game for not catching the ball that lead to the next at-bat and Jeter’s injury. Not reasonable at all, but hey, crazy times. I don’t blame anyone for thinking what they’re thinking at this point.

7. mattn.miller
      October 14th, 2012 | 2:25 pm

You know what it is Steve? It’s a quiet resignation that this series and this season, as high of hopes that we had for them, are over.

8. October 14th, 2012 | 3:03 pm

Andy in the locker room spoke about game 2, that’s the way it is. Let’s hope people like Cano and AROD answer the call. I’ll say this, Jeter wouldn’t want the team dwelling. Put Gardner in left, Ichiro right and put Swisher on the bench and leave him there.

9. JeremyM
      October 14th, 2012 | 4:21 pm

Brent, I just thought he might offer as sort of a “team firt” PR type deal. That’s all. That said if Nix looks bad I might sign up for him at short….

October 14th, 2012 | 5:31 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

Stupid track work… I got caught in it today.

October 14th, 2012 | 5:33 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Yeah, that wasn’t going to happen. There’s enough drama as is.

October 14th, 2012 | 5:36 pm

77yankees wrote:

Lineup up from Lohud:

Probably not the way I would’ve gone, but I can see why the lineup was arranged this way.