• 2012 ALCS Game 3 Preview

Posted by on October 15th, 2012 · Comments (7)

See this game.

Game 3 will probably be a lot like that one.

Comments on 2012 ALCS Game 3 Preview

1. LMJ229
      October 15th, 2012 | 11:08 pm

Sorry for being off topic but I just can’t shake the feeling that this team/organization is headed for some real tough years ahead. If you look at the current roster, Jeter, A-Rod, Kuroda, Petitte, Ibanez, Chavez, and Ichiro are all well past their prime. Texiera and Sabathia will be 33 next season, Granderson will be 32, and Cano will be 30. If Mo comes back for one more year, his effectiveness is questionable given his age and his injury. I’m guessing Soriano will likely opt out of his contract. And there appears to be no relief in sight down on the farm. All this combined with our reduced attendance figures do not bode well for the organization.

2. shaked
      October 15th, 2012 | 11:13 pm

Steve, it’s a win-win situation for you. Either the Yankees lose and you get to say “I told you so” to everyone who “doubts you,” or the Yankees win and you get to celebrate, happy to “eat crow.” (Except 2009, because that WS was fixed and never happened)

What’s the point? When’s the last time you predicted the Yankees do anything positive without the caveat of “if they don’t, then this is a pathetic underachieving team?”

“Based on these historic facts, you have to think the Yankees have this one all wrapped up, right? And if they don’t, well, then, they’re just not a good baseball team, much like I predicted in the spring.”

I’m not discounting history, data, or facts, I just don’t understand the point. You want to be wrong, yet you gloat when you’re right? Okay. Congratulations. You always win.

3. LMJ229
      October 16th, 2012 | 12:15 am

@ shaked:
      Well you have to admit, in this case, Steve’s negativity is not unfounded. Is there any reason to feel good about this team right now?

4. October 16th, 2012 | 7:30 am

@ shaked:
      What do you think of this current Yankees team and its prospects for the future under the leadership of the current ownership team and front office? Why? What’s the basis for your answer? Also, how old are you and how long have you been a Yankees fan?

5. Garcia
      October 16th, 2012 | 7:48 am

shaked wrote:

Agreed.

Steve L. wrote:

What’s the point, Steve? Seriously. Is the roster going to change dramatically all of a sudden? Can’t we just watch and keep validating what we ALL feel – it’s a dead team walking? Or what if we get pleasantly surprised and they win? You want to go off on Cashman when Cash has to deal with the product on the field, just like the rest of us do. Nothing can happen at this point. Can’t you wait till they are out of the playoffs before you make yourself out to be the smartest person in the room?

6. shaked
      October 16th, 2012 | 8:07 am

@ LMJ229:

In this case, Steve is 100% correct in his negativity. We’re all down in the dumps right now. I don’t even want to watch the game tonight because it will either give some of us hope or crush us for good. But over the course of a 162 roller coaster season, that was certainly not always the case.

The starting pitching, for example, has far exceeded expectations. With the way they’ve pitched, the Yankees should not have lost thus far in the post season, which is the most frustrating part of the whole situation.

@ Steve L.:

I think this is an aging team full of warts. The contracts of A-Rod, Teixeira, Jeter, Soriano (lesser degree), and Sabathia (in a couple of years) create logjams at critical positions and prevent upgrades. The free agent market, however, is not going to be an answer going forward. The draft changes are also going to pose a problem for this team. I think the ownership has a good mindset and is willing to spend money on its product.

I think the front office is good, but not so great that someone couldn’t do a better job. The question becomes: am I willing to spend a few years “rebuilding” with a new front office or would I rather see the team win while players like Jeter, Mo and Pettitte are still around? The answer for me is obvious.

I think eventually you will get your wish and Brian Cashman will be gone, but I also think you’ll miss him more than you’ll admit. I won’t touch on Cashman, because it’s a sore subject, but I truly appreciate the work he’s done and will miss him when he leaves.

I’m 28 and I have been a fan since I was a kid, but it’s hard to place a date on it. I’d guess 8 or 9. In high school everyone was a Yankees fan, so it wasn’t really much of a battle. In college, it was 50% Yankees fans and 50% Red Sox fans (2002-2006), and that’s when I really got into the team and started visiting sites to vent and meet other like-minded people. I’d say that 2002 was the start of my real fandom and it’s been the same since. When I was younger, I watched the games, but I just expected them to win. After the 2001 World Series, I started understanding how difficult it was and started appreciating the team.

How I feel about the product on the field is irrelevant, because I’ve hated plenty of players and teams as well. But this 2012 team, for all its warts, has really been pretty special. It’s sad to see them go down without a fight and waste the effort from CC, BattleCat, and Hiroktober. So it goes.

I’m not looking to argue. I’ve been a member of this site too long to do that. I just wanted to vent, because now it actually IS time to panic but to you it’s been a foregone conclusion since the 2009 World Series ended.

7. October 16th, 2012 | 12:31 pm

@ shaked:
      You and I are on the same page with respect to the state of the team, its future and potential issues, and the performance of the front office. Where we differ is on missing Cashman. However, I do realize that the next GM could be a total nightmare that will make Cashman look better, in retrospect. But, that said, I still don’t think I will miss him. His act is old and played, to me.

It is interesting to hear your take and see that we are of the same mindset, given your age. I have found that there is a great divide amongst Yankees fans under 30 and those over 40. Whether you want to call it philosophical, cultural, generational, or whatever. It’s there. The younger fans tend to think that Cashman is a god and the Yankees are a fine oiled machine whereas the older fans tend to be frustrated with what’s happened to the Yankees franchise, from end to end, 90+ win season after season, be damned.

I wouldn’t say that, for me, “panic” has been “a foregone conclusion since the 2009 World Series ended.” Instead of “panic,” I would label it as “skepticism.” And, again, that just might be because I am older. But, it has nothing to do with me wanting to be right. I don’t get where that claim comes from?