• 2012 ALCS: What If?

Posted by on October 16th, 2012 · Comments (11)

What if the Yankees manage a way to beat Justin Verlander tonight? I mean, after all, he ain’t God, man. In fact, there have been 88 times since 2005 where Verlander started a game and the Tigers went on to lose it.

And, what if CC Sabathia is a stud in Game 4 of the ALCS and carries the Yankees to a victory in that one?

That would turn this ALCS into a “Best 2 out of 3″ with the Yankees having the home field advantage.

Would this all change the Yankees odds to get to the World Series this year? Would it mean a sellout crowd for Game 6 of the ALCS at Yankee Stadium?

What do you think?

Comments on 2012 ALCS: What If?

1. KPOcala
      October 16th, 2012 | 12:21 pm

Well, it happened to the Yanks a few years back, no?

2. EHawk
      October 16th, 2012 | 12:28 pm

Well I hope so cause I have tickets to my first Yankees postseason game for Game 6! Yanks have proven they can beat Verlander before and I think its important they score in the early innings on him. He’s known for actually getting stronger as the game goes on.

3. 77yankees
      October 16th, 2012 | 12:37 pm

Why not? Say Ichiro steals a run with his speed, Ibanez homers, Martin, i.e., comes through with a clutch hit, Hughes bends but doesn’t break, & the Yanks win 4-2. Then you have your ace on the mound looking to tie the series tomorrow vs. a starter who has been shaky physically down the stretch

Win that & they’re tied 2-2. And who wouldn’t have taken that before the series.

4. EHawk
      October 16th, 2012 | 1:08 pm

Only fear is and I’m just going on my memory but it seems like every time Hughes pitches against the Tigers Cabrera kills him and hits HR. I might be wrong but I’d be curious to see his career #’s against Hughes.

5. October 16th, 2012 | 1:13 pm

I think the trick for the Red Sox in 2004 was that they just had to win Game 4 and then they had Pedro and Schilling lined-up for the next two…and that would get them to a Game 7, where anything could happen.

And, yes, here, the Yankees just need to win Game 3 and then they have CC, Pettitte, Kuroda and CC again (on short rest, IIRC).

But, the Red Sox, in 2004, had Ortiz and Mueller, who owned the Yankees. And, the had Damon, Millar and Manny getting big hits too, at times.

The Yankees have Granderson and A-Rod looking lost at the plate. And, they have Swisher and Cano who have not been clutch in the post-season before…

Maybe Ichiro, Ibanez or Tex can get hot and win the game tonight for them? It’s always possible.

Then again, Verlander could whiff 14 batters and shut the Yankees out.

We just have to wait and see.

6. October 16th, 2012 | 1:15 pm

EHawk wrote:

Miggy has faced Hughes 24 times and has 4 HR against him. And, his BA/OBA/SLG line against Hughes is .409/.458/1.045

Cabrera loves facing Hughes

7. October 16th, 2012 | 1:17 pm

Jhonny Peralta is also a career .500 hitter off Hughes. Yes, five hundred.

8. EHawk
      October 16th, 2012 | 3:09 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Ouch I think I remember Fielder also hitting Hughes hard this season if I’m not mistaken!

9. The Sandman
      October 16th, 2012 | 5:14 pm

Thinking about 1996

10. The Sandman
      October 16th, 2012 | 5:16 pm
    11. Evan3457
      October 16th, 2012 | 8:08 pm

That’s the way to look at it; unfortunately, Phil “is like a box o’chocaltes” Hughes is pitching tonight for the Yanks. The odds are long.