• The A-Rod Yankees Era: Was It Worth It?

    Posted by on October 18th, 2012 · Comments (14)

    What if this is the end of Alex Rodriguez’ Yankees career? A-Rod spent nine years in New York. And, that begs the question: Was it worth it (having A-Rod play for the Yankees)?

    On one had, you have two MVP seasons – albeit that the last one was self-serving – and a World Series ring (in 2009). But, on the other hand, you have all that A-Rod baggage/drama, the PED issue, what is forming to be one of the ugliest baseball-divorces south of Manny’s exit from Boston, and what’s appearing to be a $100 million cost to have him finish his career with some other team.

    Does one side, the good or the bad, out-weigh the other in terms of the Yankees “A-Rod experience”?  Or, is it all just a “push”?

    Related, if A-Rod does ever get elected to Cooperstown, does this impact what cap should be on his plaque and how he should be remembered in terms of Yankees history?

    You tell me…

    Comments on The A-Rod Yankees Era: Was It Worth It?

    1. PocketAces
      October 18th, 2012 | 1:54 pm

      Was it worth it: Yes

      1. Contract dollars are irrelevant with the NYY with their TV contract and marketing. Ownership was/is still in the black with regards to profitability.

      2. A-Rod gave the media/bloggers almost endless material throughout his tenure with the team……He kept everyone interested.

      3. He was a self serving statistical whore…….but everyone knew that from the onset……and he put up numbers……sure drill down far and hard enough and anyone can find faults with anyone.

      4. PEDs: Owners knew players were using…….players knew players were using. No one wanted to admit it because McGwire/Sosa “saved” baseball with the chase for 62.

      5. A-Rod played a big part in the last WS championship. Cannot be argued.

      6. HOF: Slow down cowboys…..he may have played more years in pinstripes than anywhere else…..but PEDs players aren’t doing so well the the HOF ballots as of yet (McGwire who was never banned and Palmeiro who was). He would be remembered as a Yankee for his exploits off the field…..as a Mariner or Ranger for his exploits on the field

      Overall: As I believe the dollars are irrelevant (they never passed on another player because of a self imposed salary cap), A-Rod was still a top tier 3B up to the last 2 years.

      Teams need the best players over 162 games. As we all know, anything can happen in the playoffs during a short series.

      He was one of the best players during his time: Yes it was worth it.

    2. Raf
      October 18th, 2012 | 2:22 pm

      It was worth it. If only for the fact that they sealed the deal when the Red Sox couldn’t.

      Rodriguez caught a lot of heat for any number of reasons, I’m sure pettiness and jealousy ranks up there. Others for the desire to play pop psychologists. This isn’t to say he hasn’t done dumb things, he has, but if you want to compare his transgressions to others who have been affiliated with the organization, he’s pretty far down on the list.

    3. October 18th, 2012 | 2:30 pm

      It would have been very interesting to see how history would have been different if A-Rod went to Boston in 2004 instead of coming to New York.

    4. October 18th, 2012 | 2:33 pm

      PocketAces wrote:

      A-Rod gave the media/bloggers almost endless material throughout his tenure with the team……

      Is that a good thing or bad thing? Has the “A-Rod” impact to the Yankees brand ended up as positive or negative, in the end?

    5. Raf
      October 18th, 2012 | 2:48 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      PocketAces wrote:
      A-Rod gave the media/bloggers almost endless material throughout his tenure with the team……

      Is that a good thing or bad thing? Has the “A-Rod” impact to the Yankees brand ended up as positive or negative, in the end?

      “I don’t care what you say about me, just spell my name right.” ― P.T. Barnum

      I’d say that it has been a positive. If it weren’t, they would’ve gotten rid of him.

      If you buy into the pressure argument, you can argue that since the world is obsessed with him, that he takes negative attention away from others who probably wouldn’t be able to stand the scrutiny.

    6. nwyank
      October 18th, 2012 | 3:02 pm

      Not worth it.
      He sure helped the team get to the postseason, but outside of 2009 he underperformed (to put it mildly) in the playoffs. I don’t see it as simply SSS.
      Wasn’t happy when I learned of the trade to aquire him, and still think he badly fits the team.

    7. October 18th, 2012 | 3:10 pm

      I’ll confess – I was a huge A-Rod fan and was excited when the Yankees made the trade to get him. It was a “Holy Shit!” type trade, for me, at the time.

      But, like many cases, the guy looks great when you see him for 8-10 times a year as a visitor. But, when you see him everyday for 6 months, he gets exposed. (Giambi was another one of these cases.) And, I quickly learned what he was all about…and it didn’t take long to realize that he was a FOS player and a person…and that turned me off.

    8. October 18th, 2012 | 4:18 pm

      Raf wrote:

      If you buy into the pressure argument, you can argue that since the world is obsessed with him, that he takes negative attention away from others who probably wouldn’t be able to stand the scrutiny.

      Just ask Granderson, Cano, and Swisher when it comes to getting less of the negative scrutiny. Even Tex when it comes to his inability to hit it to the opposite field and calf issues. Heard less of that and more of Alex throughout.

    9. October 18th, 2012 | 4:30 pm

      FWIW, though, Granderson, Tex, et al, don’t trot around the field like they are God’s gift to the game; and, they don’t get caught with strippers or in illegal poker games. If A-Rod gets more attention, it’s because he does stupid things to attract it, outside of just slumping on the diamond.

    10. October 18th, 2012 | 4:46 pm

      Raf wrote:

      If you buy into the pressure argument, you can argue that since the world is obsessed with him, that he takes negative attention away from others who probably wouldn’t be able to stand the scrutiny.

      So, then, the Yankees, every season, should find a player with a monster ego who says and does stupid things, bringing the spotlight on himself, and then overpay him by $15 million each season, so that people dislike him, and that will allow the rest of the team to prosper without the glare of the spotlight on them…

      ..uh…yeah…right…
      #rollingeyes

    11. Raf
      October 18th, 2012 | 5:57 pm

      @ Steve L.:
      Brent wrote:

      Raf wrote:
      If you buy into the pressure argument, you can argue that since the world is obsessed with him, that he takes negative attention away from others who probably wouldn’t be able to stand the scrutiny.
      Just ask Granderson, Cano, and Swisher when it comes to getting less of the negative scrutiny. Even Tex when it comes to his inability to hit it to the opposite field and calf issues. Heard less of that and more of Alex throughout.

      Steve, he gets it.

      CC pitches a heck of a game, Yanks advance to the ALCS, everyone wants to talk about Rodriguez. Rodriguez makes an innocuous comment for Esquire magazine some 10 YEARS AGO, and he’s still paying the price for it. He’s on the lips and in the mouth and minds of those who have nothing to do with baseball.

      Whether people want to admit it or not, Rodriguez is bigger than the Yankees. And it drives people nuts. Even when trying to play second banana to Jeter, Rodriguez still outshines him. That also drives people nuts.

      Steve L. wrote:

      FWIW, though, Granderson, Tex, et al, don’t trot around the field like they are God’s gift to the game; and, they don’t get caught with strippers or in illegal poker games. If A-Rod gets more attention, it’s because he does stupid things to attract it, outside of just slumping on the diamond.

      It’s not about being God’s gift to the game, it’s not about being with strippers and participating in illegal poker games. It’s not even the stupid things that he does. None of that explains the obsession people have with Rodriguez; he isn’t the only player with an ego, he isn’t the only poker playing player nor is he the only player to nail strippers.

      It’s not about his on-field accomplishments either. He’s the man people love to hate.

    12. Evan3457
      October 18th, 2012 | 11:11 pm

      And the worst part is, they’ll trade him for 5 cents on the dollar, and come out a worse team.

    13. October 19th, 2012 | 6:24 am

      Evan3457 wrote:

      And the worst part is, they’ll trade him for 5 cents on the dollar, and come out a worse team.

      Really, what was their record this season when he was on the disabled list?

    14. Raf
      October 19th, 2012 | 1:03 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Really, what was their record this season when he was on the disabled list?

      Not as good as it was when he was in the lineup :P

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.