• Yanks Say Their Negative Fans Threw Them Off Their Game

Posted by on October 19th, 2012 · Comments (11)

Via John Harper -

If anything, it showed a rather startling team-wide lack of mental toughness. You can blame some of that on the loss of Derek Jeter to a broken ankle in Game 1, but that’s no excuse for the complete lack of fight with the season on the line.

And while A-Rod blamed two weeks of postseason futility at the plate, saying it “sucked the energy out of us,” another player privately made a far more indicting observation: that the ballclub was affected by the hostility from the fans at Yankee Stadium last weekend.

“I really think the booing spooked a lot of guys,” the player said. “A lot of guys hadn’t been booed before, and they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands.”

Obviously Nick Swisher admitted to being sensitive to such treatment after Game 2, but the player said Swisher was far from alone in his reaction.

“A lot of guys were talking about it in the clubhouse,” he said. “I was surprised by how much it bothered them. I really don’t think they ever recovered.”

If that’s true, well, so much for the big, bad Yankees.

And, in any case, it’s time that GM Brian Cashman considers how poorly this team has played in October, other than 2009, when he starts making decisions about next season and beyond.

Something has to explain how the Yankees seemed a half-step slower than the Tigers in everything they did on Thursday. For that matter, when Mark Teixeira was doing a Jason Giambi impression with his glove at first base, you had to think that neither their hearts nor heads were really in this game.

Afterward Rodriguez basically said not to blame him.

“You can take one guy,’’ A-Rod said, referring to himself, “and say, ‘Let’s blame him, let’s get him, put the coffin on him, knock his ass out.’ But at the end of the way I felt the wind was sucked out of us the last two weeks.”

Rodriguez is probably right about how heavily the overall offensive struggles weighed on this team. Yet there’s no avoiding the obvious here: the last few days made it look and feel as if a divorce with A-Rod should be imminent.

Booing at home  the problem this post-season? Oh, Em, Gee.  Grow a pair, will ya?

Blaming the fans…that is soooo weak.  Ugh.

Comments on Yanks Say Their Negative Fans Threw Them Off Their Game

October 19th, 2012 | 7:07 am

This Yankees fan says this article is a load of hooey.

2. Scout
      October 19th, 2012 | 8:00 am

Bad enough to blame the fans. To do so anonymously is gutless.

Looking forward now to open season on Cashman. His fingerprints are all over this corpse.

3. October 19th, 2012 | 8:04 am

What an odd article. Harper clearly states what A-Rod said after Game 2, but then used the private comment by a player to bring it back to A-Rod, even though he didn’t say the comment.

Then, Harper takes a quote that A-Rod said that is truthful in that you can’t just point at one player and put all the blame on someone for the season… so Harper used it to say it’s all about A-Rod and it shouldn’t be. He can’t win.

4. JeremyM
      October 19th, 2012 | 8:27 am

You know, this is pretty thin. And the anonymous quotes sound like Swisher. That said, I didn’t particularly enjoy the fans this postseason. Maybe I’m “misremembering” things but I don’t recall fans being so quick to boo during the dynasty years, before this sense of entitlement seems to have kicked in. It seemed to me that they were way too quick to boo- hell, I think they were kicking in right from game 3 of the ALDS. And then on the other end you didn’t seem to hear much noise when Yankee pitchers were going for K’s and so forth. I’m rambling but to me, as the fan on the couch, I didn’t enjoy the booing and thought it sounded like a graveyard most of the rest of the game. But you pay for your ticket and you can boo all you want.

5. October 19th, 2012 | 8:55 am

Scout wrote:

He’s teflon. Nothing sticks to him. He will wiggle out of this, as usual.

6. October 19th, 2012 | 9:20 am

JeremyM wrote:

This comment 100%. I was at Game 3 of the ALDS (Ibanez strikes) and the crowd didn’t get into it until the 9th inning, except for boos every time Alex’s face was on the screen, scattered boos for him coming up, boos for his outs, and maybe one two-out, two strike standing O in the tiers for Kuroda, who was fantastic.

I understand the 5 pm game woes, but the game after? I wonder once Jeter, Pettitte, and Mo retire, how much of a drop in attendance will the Stadium endure?

7. October 19th, 2012 | 9:42 am

How a Yankees player can go into Fenway Park 9 to 10 times a year, and other sometimes hostile parks, and listen to the crap that they hear there, and then say that a smattering of boos at home messed with their game is beyond me.

This cannot be A-Rod. He’s been booed, on and off, at Yankee Stadium since 2004.

It has to be Tex, Swisher, Cano, Granderson or Martin, on this comment. The good news here is that three of these five will be gone by 2014…and maybe four of the five.

Unless, of course, it was a pitcher who made this comment?

8. 77yankees
      October 19th, 2012 | 10:29 am

Dear Unnamed Yankee,

STFU

9. JeremyM
      October 19th, 2012 | 12:22 pm

Steve, I think it was more than a smattering. I agree that players should ignore it, but it can’t help either. And the boo birds were out at the first home game. To me, that seems way too early. So this guy should shut up, but at the same time it would be nice to see the fans be a bit more supportive. I loved the way they chanted for Jeter when he was hurt, and I’d like to see more of that stuff than a bunch of boos for a grounder to short in the second inning. I mean, if it’s more hostile for the home team than the visitors, that seems like a problem.

October 19th, 2012 | 12:43 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Scout wrote:
      He’s teflon. Nothing sticks to him. He will wiggle out of this, as usual.

You’ll probably should wait until you have something on him first. :P

Like it or not, the Yanks had the best record in the AL and had another AL East title, and have won 90+ games since 2008. This despite injuries to ________ (fill in the blank with your favorite name or names).

Yankees finish in last place, sure, fire Cashman. Miss the playoffs two years in the row, maybe he goes. But until then, you’re going to have to wait.

October 19th, 2012 | 12:52 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Teix has only been here since 2009. Doubt that it’s him. Not particularly quotable, or is the type to give an anonymous quote. Swisher already came forth, no point to him weaseling out an anonymous quote. I don’t think Cano cares enough to comment, or at least doesn’t seem that he’d make that kind of observation. Granderson, it’s his second year here. Same with Martin. Don’t think they have the time in NY to make that sort of observation.