• Did Yankees Ruin Baseball’s Best Post-Season Ever?

Posted by on October 22nd, 2012 · Comments (7)

Maybe…think about it.

This year was the first time that baseball had two, winner-take-all, sudden-death, wildcard playoff games.

And, this season was the first time in baseball history that all four Division Series went down to a Game 5, winner-take-all, sudden-death, scenario.

And, now, the N.L.C.S. is going down, tonight, to a Game 7, winner-take-all, sudden-death, contest.

Imagine if the World Series now goes seven games too! That would mean that the only post-season series this year that didn’t go to a final game would be the A.L.C.S. where the Yankees tucked-tail, rolled over and played dead, and allowed the Tigers to romp over them in a four game sweep.

Stupid Yankees.

For the record: Since the Division Series era began in 1995, this marks the first time that five of the six series leading up to the World Series went the distance. The most prior to this October was four in 2003, when two Division Series went to five and both LCS matchups went to seven.

Comments on Did Yankees Ruin Baseball’s Best Post-Season Ever?

1. 77yankees
      October 22nd, 2012 | 3:37 pm

Objectively from a baseball standpoint, the best postseason was 1986. The ALCS & WS went 7 games & the winning team was down to its last strike at one point in each. And the Mets practically played two games so they WOULDN’T have to play a Game 7 in the NLCS.

2. October 22nd, 2012 | 3:55 pm
    3. 77yankees
      October 22nd, 2012 | 6:53 pm

Steve L. wrote:

1986 better than 2011?

Yes, for everyone not a Cardinal fan.

I fell asleep last year during extra innings of Game 6. Know anyone who fell asleep during Game 6 in 1986?

4. Evan3457
      October 22nd, 2012 | 11:57 pm

Well, the ALCS ruined my post-season, I can tell you that. :(

5. KPOcala
      October 23rd, 2012 | 2:59 am

Off-topic. I hate blaming or praising GM’s too quickly,5-7 of autonomy. If Cashman can’t pull some creative ideas out of the fire. Especially given the lack of depth in the Minors, and letting some really good foreign free agents go by so poorly evaluated, then this year he’d better be Branch Rickey, or he needs to go.

6. October 23rd, 2012 | 6:55 am

@ 77yankees:
      As a 23-year old yankees fan, I didn’t even watch Game 6 in 1986. Red Sox? Mets? I wanted them both to lose. Watching either of them win would be painful. So, I am at least one person in NYC who was not glued to the tube for that one.

7. KPOcala
      October 23rd, 2012 | 12:02 pm

@ Steve L.:
      I loathed the Mets so bad that when that ball went through Buckner’s legs (a man that had a great career trashed), I thought I’d throw the tv through the window. God, the Mets were obnoxious! I especially enjoyed Strawberry referring to the Mets as a “dynasty” in the post-game. I must have been a masochist.