• Megastorm Sandy Nearing

Posted by on October 28th, 2012 · Comments (33)

The latest on the megastorm heading towards us -

Wherever it hits, the rare behemoth storm inexorably gathering in the eastern U.S. will afflict a third of the country with sheets of rain, high winds and heavy snow, say officials who warned millions in coastal areas to get out of the way.

“We’re looking at impact of greater than 50 to 60 million people,” said Louis Uccellini, head of environmental prediction for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

As Hurricane Sandy barreled north from the Caribbean – where it left nearly five dozen dead – to meet two other powerful winter storms, experts said it didn’t matter how strong the storm was when it hit land: The rare hybrid storm that follows will cause havoc over 800 miles from the East Coast to the Great Lakes.

“This is not a coastal threat alone,” said Craig Fugate, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. “This is a very large area.”

Sandy weakened briefly to a tropical storm early Saturday but was soon back up to Category 1 strength, packing 75 mph winds about 355 miles southeast of Charleston, S.C., as of 8 p.m. Experts said the storm was most likely to hit the southern New Jersey coastline by late Monday or early Tuesday.

What makes the storm so dangerous and unusual is that it is coming at the tail end of hurricane season and the beginning of winter storm season, “so it’s kind of taking something from both,” said Jeff Masters, director of the private service Weather Underground.

Masters said the storm could be bigger than the worst East Coast storm on record – the 1938 New England hurricane known as the Long Island Express, which killed nearly 800 people. “Part hurricane, part nor’easter – all trouble,” he said. Experts said to expect high winds over 800 miles and up to 2 feet of snow as far inland as West Virginia.

And the storm was so big, and the convergence of the three storms so rare, that “we just can’t pinpoint who is going to get the worst of it,” said Rick Knabb, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

It’s looking like this thing is going to hit within a 100 miles of where I live, according to the projections. So, I’m expecting to be without power at some point during the storm. And, if “Irene” can be used as a guide, it will probably be a while until the utilities are restored.

Be safe during the storm. And, feel free to use the comments section for this post to discuss whatever baseball items interest you. Hopefully, I won’t be disconnected for too long.

Comments on Megastorm Sandy Nearing

1. redbug
      October 29th, 2012 | 7:35 am

I’ll be happy to see Wednesday arrive assuming we’re all safe and sound.

Good luck Steve and all of us living in Sandy’s path.

2. KPOcala
      October 29th, 2012 | 9:23 am

Good luck to you guys living up there. Looks like this could be way worse than Irene in the misery index. Not to lecture (as a native Floridian), if they say “evacuate”, go while you still can! God Bless.

October 29th, 2012 | 11:21 am

Stay safe everyone!

4. JeremyM
      October 29th, 2012 | 10:13 pm

Thinking about you all from here in Nebraska. Hang in there- looks awful on TV.

October 30th, 2012 | 12:45 pm

Saw some pics… oly chit!

6. 77yankees
      October 30th, 2012 | 12:49 pm

@ Raf:

Yeah, you think about it and wonder how people in Florida, North Carolina, etc. deal with these every year.

7. KPOcala
      October 31st, 2012 | 2:47 am

It sucks, lived in Miami for 45 years (Andrew was, uh, “interesting”, plus north-central for another ten. What scares me for everyone up north is that this a late season storm, and I’ll lay quarters to nickels that power is restored in time for Christmas. After Andrew there were areas that didn’t have power for 6-9 months. And the area that Sandy destroyed, as far as infrastructure is concerned is probably, just guessing, has to be well over 100 times larger, figuring in telephone poles, power lines, roads, power sub-stations, transformers, the list of things you don’t think about is endless. And how do you transport food into areas that have thousands of trees laying across the roads. Pray for those the live in the cut-off areas, and plan for yourselves if you’re in the area. When they’re are no traffic lights, after a week, when the shock is worn off, it is like going to a gunfight with a knife….Good luck and God bless to those in that area….

October 31st, 2012 | 6:03 pm

KPOcala wrote:

What scares me for everyone up north is that this a late season storm

What scared me was that this was a storm of epic proportions…

Seems that everyone made it through ok in Mt Vernon. I’m a long way from home right now, and I won’t be home until the 12th.

9. Evan3457
      November 1st, 2012 | 1:19 am

I was very very lucky. The storm surge flooded my neighborhood to within 2-3 blocks of my co-op apt. building. Everybody south (within the flood area) lost power as of Mon. night. We lost power for 2 1/2 hours on Tuesday, but it wasn’t storm damage, so they were able to get the 160,000 who lost power in that hit fixed in less than 3 hours.

Very, very, very lucky. It could’ve been far worse for me.

10. Greg H.
      November 1st, 2012 | 3:06 pm

Thoughts and prayers to all of you out there. Luckily all our family there is okay, many without power.

As fate would have it, my wife and I took a long overdue vacation last week, leaving the Bay Area for a tiny island in the Bahamas. Yep – just in time to have a direct hit from Sandy as a Cat 2 Hurricane last Thursday. Quite an experience, with 100 mph winds, but nothing compared to what you all are going through (and will be going through for some time) in the NY/NJ area. Put a lot in perspective.

Blessings to all of you.

11. KPOcala
      November 1st, 2012 | 6:53 pm

Isn’t a $500K donation seem, well, a little cheap of the Yankees? Of course George had the philosophy of keeping most of his donations private, so the sons may be following that credo….

12. 77yankees
      November 2nd, 2012 | 12:21 pm

@ KPOcala:

I can understand the natural cynicism, but once we get into commercial scorecarding & questioning of donations…..Did Microsoft donate??…What about Apple??…Who gave more, Trump or Warren Buffett??, it defeats the purpose.

13. Garcia
      November 2nd, 2012 | 1:46 pm

steve, i imagine you are still out of power. hope all is well.

14. November 2nd, 2012 | 3:09 pm

Now at the 90 hour mark without power, heat, internet and land-line. Posting this from a friend’s – since I don’t have a smart phone. At 100 hours, I turn into Jack Torrance…Here’s Johnny!

Hope everyone else is OK.

I have some friends who lost everything: house, car, computers, etc.

So, I am not complaining about the minor damage to my house and the hole in the roof of my shed where the tree landed.

Will be back once power is restored. I hope it’s soon. But, the head of the power company said on the radio that it may be until next Wednesday.

15. KPOcala
      November 2nd, 2012 | 4:23 pm

@ 77yankees: No, I’m not trying to compare oranges to, ahem (no pun, intended) apples. In the case of the Yanks they have over a 100 years of business relationships to the community. And the community gave “them” a pretty nice deal with the stadium. They gave a weekend lap dance party for the upper echelon staff. To steal an old line, ‘any money’s good money, so I took what I could get….’ But still……..

16. KPOcala
      November 2nd, 2012 | 4:30 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Great news, Steve. As a native Floridian, I think that falling trees (outside of storm surge) is the scariest thing. And I know all about those “hidden danger”, such as electrocution, carbon monoxide, crazy people, and heart attacks. BTW, for those up in the area that aren’t familiar with cutting up trees, DON’T. Especially those with roots still in the ground. Cut the tree the wrong way and they may find you body a half a mile away, no kidding. Not to mention trees will roll in unexpected ways, and chainsaw accidents. I hate to sound like an old grandmother, but God’s Help go w/ all you guys and your families….

17. 77yankees
      November 2nd, 2012 | 5:53 pm

@ Steve L.:

All the best, Steve, & hope you & the family can get settled again soon.

As for our other regulars who haven’t checked in this week, hope you folks are ok & we’ll be hearing from you soon.

18. November 3rd, 2012 | 12:31 am

Our power went out Monday evening, coming back Thursday evening. A huge tree fell two doors down from my home , the wind howled, the windows rattled, oit was a night I won’t forget.

November 3rd, 2012 | 12:43 pm

Again, glad to see some of you guys ok and checking in.

20. November 3rd, 2012 | 8:56 pm

Thanks all!

At 8:40 PM on October 29th, the power here went out. And, finally, at 8:40 PM tonight, on November 3rd, it came back on again. No lie. Each time, eight-forty on the dot. How strange is that?

21. 77yankees
      November 3rd, 2012 | 10:15 pm

@ Steve L.:

I think 840 deserves a $2 daily numbers play.

To update Yankee happenings: Mo announced he’s coming back in 2013. Soriano opted out but the Yanks extended a qualifying offer to him, Swisher & Kuroda but not Martin. Torii Hunter was non-qualified by the Angels & seems to be a name in the Yanks radar. And Larry Rothschild was quoted in a radio interview that they don’t expect Pineda to pitch in 2013.

22. November 4th, 2012 | 8:46 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Spoke too soon. After having power for 14 hours, it went out again this AM for another 10 hours. Just came back now, for good, I hope.

November 5th, 2012 | 10:47 am

@ 77yankees:

To add, Pascual Perez was murdered during a robbery in the Rep Dom.

24. 77yankees
      November 5th, 2012 | 12:17 pm

@ Raf:

Yes, true, though I thought it was unusual that the online & wire story headlines referred to it as “Ex-Yankee Perez murdered” when he pitched only 17 games in pinstripes as opposed to 101 for the Braves. Sensationalism I guess.

25. redbug
      November 11th, 2012 | 5:06 pm

I just got my power yesterday afternoon…a very, very long 12 days. I’m in north/central NJ. Fortunately no one was badly hurt (or worse) in my area. Many, many trees down on utility poles and wires. Some through peoples roofs. Except for the lack of electricity, I made out OK.

I’m a real fan of politics, esp presidential, so for me, missing all the stuff leading up to, the night of the election, and the week after was tough.

I missed you Steve, and all those who post here. Glad to be back!!

26. November 11th, 2012 | 6:26 pm

@ redbug:
      OMG. That’s rough. My FIL just got his power back at 2 AM today. And, he’s by me in central Jersey. It’s amazing that it took so long for some. Glad it was not worse for you. And, welcome back!

November 13th, 2012 | 12:51 am

Just getting in, it seems we were spared power outages and the like here in Cedar Knolls, though I was told that the gas shortage was pretty miserable with the lines. There’s a cut up tree in the front yard, but I have no idea how it got there. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

28. MJ Recanati
      November 13th, 2012 | 3:11 pm

Let me just say this: Hurricane Sandy was a goddamn nightmare. My wife and I both lost our cars and that is NOTHING compared to what so many of our friends lost out in Long Island and Staten Island. We’re the lucky ones.

Horrible.

November 13th, 2012 | 7:04 pm

Raf wrote:

Felled tree in the backyard, that’s where… But that’s nothing compared to what my friends and coworkers have lost. We definitely got off light.

30. Corey
      November 13th, 2012 | 7:26 pm

Speaking of megastorms…anyone else seeing what’s brewing up north?

Jays get Josh Johnson, Buerhle and Reyes for Yunel Escobar and Adeiny Hechavarria…

The marlins need to be retracted. Or at least their ownership.

It must really suck to be Giancarlo “Mike” Mike Stanton. I highly doubt they trade him. Then again….

November 13th, 2012 | 8:11 pm

@ Corey:
      Whoa!

Jays and their fans have a reason to be excited after all these years. Nice to see a big trade go down.

32. Corey
      November 13th, 2012 | 9:19 pm

@ Raf:
      Hell, I’m excited. About time something of interest happened.

33. 77yankees
      November 13th, 2012 | 10:37 pm

Corey wrote:

The Marlins will trade him to the Yankees……

For A-Rod……

And Steve will then pledge to shovel Cashman’s driveway following the next snowstorm. :-)