• Torii Hunter

Posted by on November 5th, 2012 · Comments (10)

The Yankees may have an interest in Torii Hunter.

I remember when Hunter was busted as a teenager, if I recall correctly, back when he was in the minor leagues with the Twins for smoking weed. And, that’s not the first time that the Hunter family made news for something bad. The son of Torii Hunter was once arrested for the sexual assault of a child.

But, Hunter has been an above average offensive performer for the last nine years. And, he seems like a team leader. Also, I was very impressed when he moved from CF to RF back in 2010 and did it without any fuss or muss (because the team thought it was the right thing to do).

However, that all said…

The dude will be 37-years old next season. And, even though he reportedly only wants a two-year contract, it seems like it’s a bad move to bring in a free agent at that age…and expect him to be a full-time player that you can count on, etc.

I know that, especially these days, there have been players who have excelled in their late 30′s. (See: Derek Jeter last season.)

But, unless the Yankees can get Hunter to take a contract in the dollar range of what they were paying Andruw Jones, I wouldn’t sign him. And, I doubt that Hunter is going to sign cheap.

Comments on Torii Hunter

1. Dimelo
      November 5th, 2012 | 10:29 am

Do you ever think it’s odd that in the NFL and NBA countless players have been associated with weed but in baseball you hardly never hear about it with any player? Do they even test for weed?

I have no problem with Torii inhaling, I for one think it should be legal at this point and just cause someone has puffed doesn’t make them a junky. I am more afraid of alcoholics than potheads. Alcoholics start believing they are immortal, they are stronger than the next person, many times violent, and they lose their fear of consequence.

Since I don’t hear about weed as much in baseball I have to think a.) they don’t test for it b.) it’s probably a lot more persistent than we think and c.) good for them.

2. Dimelo
      November 5th, 2012 | 10:31 am

I guess it is tested as a banned substance.

I just find it odd that you never hear about it in baseball, not nearly as often as a lot of the other major sports.

November 5th, 2012 | 10:43 am

@ Dimelo:
      Baseball is a lot more conservative than other sports.

4. Dimelo
      November 5th, 2012 | 11:33 am

@ Raf:
      Even conservatives partake.

5. 77yankees
      November 5th, 2012 | 12:28 pm

I wouldn’t correlate a poor decision from 20 years ago or an alleged incident regarding his son as reasons to back away. The Yankees have taken bigger risks than that the past 30 years. (Steve Howe, Doc, Darryl, etc.)

I think his prime appeal is that he wouldn’t cost a draft pick since he was non-qualified by the Angels. You wouldn’t think the Yankees are starting to realize the value of those draft picks, no?

6. nwyank
      November 5th, 2012 | 12:53 pm

Steve – totally agree. I wouldn’t sign him. Too old, and his level of production (.280, 20 hr) could be obtained but a younger, cheaper, more versitile player. At least I would hope so.
      Remember his comment about latinos being “imposters”? Less fallout from that one than I would have expected.

7. lardin
      November 5th, 2012 | 2:07 pm

@ Dimelo:

They only test for recreational drugs with cause in the majors. The minors are subject to random tests. I had a neighbor who was a minor league baseball player and got called up to the majors, he was out smoking weed with his major league teammates one night and soon after was sent back down to the minors, sure enought he was randomly drug tested and suspended 50 games…

8. lardin
      November 5th, 2012 | 2:08 pm

@ nwyank:
      I guess that depends on what the contract is for. If you could Get Tori Hunter for one year and 5 million dollars, for .280 and 20 hr’s, then you do it. IF its going to cost 15 million then dont.

9. November 5th, 2012 | 3:07 pm

Hunter made $18 million last year. I doubt he’s going to sign for much less than that…probably like $14 million a year.

10. November 6th, 2012 | 1:05 am

Noooooooooooooo!!! Something is wrong here, great seasons followed by shockingly bad postseasons, something is definitely wrong. The idea of building the team with a player who turns 38 in July puts us on the same road as 2012.