• YES Network Not Losing Their Yankees Blinders

Posted by on November 24th, 2012 · Comments (6)

Via Richard Sandomir -

Fear not, Yankees fans: the YES Network’s Yankees propaganda will continue even if News Corporation increases its ownership stake in the channel from 49 percent, which it agreed to purchase Tuesday, to as much as 80 percent in three years.

The deal cedes to the Yankees continued control of pinstripe content even if the team owns as little as 20 percent.

And why would Fox Sports, the division of News Corporation that owns 19 regional sports networks, want to alter YES’s Yankees propaganda formula? It has served YES so well that it will be valued at $3.8 billion if News Corporation buys majority control. Carrying the Nets did not make YES valuable. It’s about Yankees games; the pre- and postgame shows; the “Yankeeography” series and replays of games; and the “Yankee Classics,” in which the Yankees never lose. (They have lost classic games, but YES does not show them.)

Earlier this year, when YES was celebrating its 10th anniversary, I talked to Randy Levine, the Yankees’ president, and Tracy Dolgin, who runs YES, about the unashamedly pro-Yankees slant of the network’s announcers and the absence of a news operation like the one on SNY. “We tell our people if you want to be bipartisan and fair, don’t work for YES,” Levine said.

As for carrying a nightly news show, like SNY’s “SportsNite,” Dolgin said: “News is a loser. If you want news, watch ESPN.”

Fox will, of course, bring some of its programming to YES. That was one reason to make the deal. It needs a New York outpost, especially as it starts a national sports network that is, for now, called Fox Sports 1. But tinker with the propaganda? Never.

The Yankees, clearly, with this approach, feel that their faithful are a bunch of fanboys who crave nothing but pro-Yankees pablum. And, I find that to be very insulting.

Comments on YES Network Not Losing Their Yankees Blinders

November 25th, 2012 | 8:29 am

They’ll be right at home with Fox then :P

2. Evan3457
      November 25th, 2012 | 10:20 am

Steve L. wrote:

Then don’t watch YES. Really. It’s not your network, it’s their network. In fact, I rarely watch YES when the Yanks aren’t playing.

This also assumes that news and sports networks that claim to be unbiased are. They aren’t. None of them.

3. Greg H.
      November 25th, 2012 | 2:54 pm

I read this article in a jump from LoHud. I don’t care for FOX in any way, but I do watch YES quite a bit, mostly for live NYY games, but occasionally indulging in the pablum. Hey, I’m a fan.

But the one sentence that caught my eye in this article is:

“…in which the Yankees never lose.” The one thing that bothers me about being a Yankees fan is the notion (conscious or not) that the Yankees are never supposed to lose. This is derived from a number of things, beginning with the Steinbrenner Doctrine – “Thou shalt not lose.” I think this notion has great appeal, but ot can be carried too far.

4. MJ Recanati
      November 26th, 2012 | 1:55 pm

Raf wrote:

They’ll be right at home with Fox then

LOL!

Evan3457 wrote:

I rarely watch YES when the Yanks aren’t playing.

I NEVER watch YES when the Yanks aren’t playing. The rest of their programming that isn’t baseball-related is atrocious (I can’t stand the Nets, don’t care about Arsenal’s soccer team, and find programs about jogging to be perhaps the most dull thing ever put on television).

Evan3457 wrote:

Bingo.

Greg H. wrote:

I could not agree more. While I’m more than happy to watch a “Yankees Classic” knowing the outcome and glad for the trip down memory lane, the larger point is absolutely correct: the Yankees can lose just like everyone else. I wish we could have a 162-0 season but, since it’s not possible, everyone should accept that fact and just move on.

November 26th, 2012 | 6:37 pm

I wouldn’t mind seeing more Yankeeographies and more games rotated into Yankees classics, I think the same goes for MLBN, it’d be neat to see player profiles and more classic games, but I can understand if the demand isn’t there.

I wouldn’t mind seeing more MLB video stuff, the tapes I used to rent from Blockbuster back in the day, as well as regional videos (stuff tailored to teams that wasn’t released countrywide). I think it would be cool to see TWIB reruns as well as The Baseball Bunch.

6. 77yankees
      November 27th, 2012 | 1:17 am

Raf wrote:

I’m afraid they’ll show even fewer of those as time goes on. I realize the libraries of full broadcasts do not go deep, but there are still other playoff & World Series games from the mid 70s that would make interesting viewing.