• Granderson & Cano For Andre Ethier & Dee Gordon

Posted by on December 7th, 2012 · Comments (16)

If you were the Yankees, would you do it?

(And, yes, I just made this one up – and it’s not based on any rumor.)

Comments on Granderson & Cano For Andre Ethier & Dee Gordon

1. MJ Recanati
      December 7th, 2012 | 6:08 pm

No, because Andre Ethier blows up the 2014 austerity budget. He earns a guaranteed $82.5M over the next five years (with a club option for $17.5M in 2018 which could potentially make this a 6Y/$98.5M deal). Ethier is paid roughly at his market value right now (give or take a million) but if the Yankees aren’t willing to give Nick Swisher 4Y/$40M then I don’t see why they’d go for Ethier for twice as much money.

Dee Gordon can’t hit a lick.

2. Corey
      December 7th, 2012 | 7:47 pm

This makes no sense for the Yanks, so no. You could actually get something of worth for Cano (especially) and Granderson. Ethier is overhyped and can’t play defense and Dee Gordan is overhyped and can’t hit.

Despite being overhyped, at least Granderson can field and hit homers. And Cano is the best 2b in the game today.

3. December 7th, 2012 | 8:22 pm

Just watch, the Yankees are going to move Granderson to LF in 2013, because he’s so bad in CF

4. K-V-C
      December 7th, 2012 | 8:42 pm

No, but I think they SHOULD trade Cano.

5. Evan3457
      December 7th, 2012 | 9:26 pm

A la River Ave Blues…your trade proposal (stinks).

6. Miller
      December 7th, 2012 | 10:17 pm

K-V-C wrote:

No, but I think they SHOULD trade Cano.

Agreed.

7. December 7th, 2012 | 10:58 pm

We’re more or less on the same page. The two players I would most like to see off the Yanks are Cano and Granderson. I like Ethier, Gordon on the other hand, but it certainly gives pause for consideration.

8. Corey
      December 7th, 2012 | 11:22 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I think it’s a case of Gardner’s is so good that it just makes more sense to have him in center. I’m not saying Granderson has been anything special, but to say he’s bad out there isn’t true. He’s average, slightly below due to his sometimes odd routes.

9. December 7th, 2012 | 11:33 pm

My logic here:

Cano is going to test the market after 2013, no question, given his agent. So, you run the risk of him walking.

Granderson, who sucks in most phases of the game outside of hitting homeruns, also has the option to walk after 2013.

You may lose them both anyway – better to package them and get something in return.

Ethier seems to have some Paul O’Neill in him, IMHO. And, that’s something this team needs. And, Gordon can play SS, 2B, and maybe 3B. he can run. And, while he sucked last year, he hit the year before that and he hit well in the minors. And, he’s young. I could see him having fun batting 2nd or 8th or 9th in New York in 2013.

In any event, it was just a floater for conversation. I didn’t give it a lot of thought. And, it’s never going to happen, anyway, in reality. Again, it’s just for fun.

10. Scout
      December 8th, 2012 | 8:46 am

When was the last time the Yankees unloaded a player heading into his walk year because they did not think they could re-sign him? Even with the self-imposed $189 million cap for 2014, the Yankees won’t admit that they’ll be in a rebuilding mode (or will refuse to go into such a mode). Things might change if the team is hovering around .500 near the trade deadline, but not this early.

December 8th, 2012 | 11:44 am

Scout wrote:

I can’t think of any off the top of my head. The closest would probably be Rickey Henderson, but they were pretty close to working out a deal when they traded him. Then again, there was Dave Winfield, but there was special circumstances around that deal; I don’t think the Yanks intended to sign him.

The Yanks seem to usually just let players walk.

12. Greg H.
      December 10th, 2012 | 7:37 am

Raf wrote:

The Yanks seem to usually just let players walk.

Except for Alex Rodriguez. But I do think they should be prepared to let Cano walk.

13. MJ Recanati
      December 10th, 2012 | 1:55 pm

Greg H. wrote:

I do think they should be prepared to let Cano walk.

Agreed. Personally, I’d like to see the Yanks trade him but I know that’ll never happen.

14. December 18th, 2012 | 10:41 am

Well, now, reportedly, Andre is on the Market.

December 18th, 2012 | 9:14 pm

Greg H. wrote:

Oh, they’ll resign their own FA’s, they’ve done it before; Brosius, Cone, Sabathia, Mussina…

I was referring more to players that were traded in their walk year because the Yanks thought they wouldn’t be able to re-sign them. I still can’t think of anyone besides Rickey.

December 18th, 2012 | 9:19 pm

Steve L. wrote:

It’s possible, then again, it could lead to something like Kevin Brown punching a dugout wall.

Jeff Weaver was pretty passionate too

:P :D