• Managing The Yankees 6+ Full Seasons In A Row

Posted by on December 10th, 2012 · Comments (8)

Miller Huggins, Joe McCarthy, Casey Stengel, Ralph Houk and Joe Torre are the only ones to do it.

Can Joe Girardi join them next season? And, if he does, would that make Girardi the 6th greatest manager in Yankees history?

Comments on Managing The Yankees 6+ Full Seasons In A Row

1. MJ Recanati
      December 10th, 2012 | 1:56 pm

I’m not sure I see why longevity should be tied to greatness. Girardi is an average manager that has some good attributes and some blindspots. If that makes him the “sixth greatest” manager in team history, OK…for whatever that means.

December 10th, 2012 | 2:00 pm

I guess we have to define “greatest” and take it from there. But I look at that list and this comes to mind;

:D

3. December 10th, 2012 | 3:33 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Where would you rank Girardi in terms of all Yankees managers?

4. Evan3457
      December 10th, 2012 | 4:44 pm

I’m not sure Houk was better than Girardi. Houk was handed a dynasty, and the best that can be said was that he didn’t screw it up.

5. MJ Recanati
      December 10th, 2012 | 5:30 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Where would you rank Girardi in terms of all Yankees managers?

I have no idea and I don’t think it’s a terribly useful excercise. A manager is only as good as his players.

I’d rank Girardi as a middle of the pack manager among the 30 in the game today but, with that said, the best and worst aren’t separated by that much either since I don’t perceive the job to be that difficult in this day and age.

December 10th, 2012 | 7:31 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Where would you rank Girardi in terms of all Yankees managers?

I had been thinking of this, and I can’t really say where. When compared to the great managers, Girardi seems awfully generic. I say this in all facets of the game, whether it’s from a media, fan, or team perspective, irrelevant of how much stock you put into it.

7. Evan3457
      December 10th, 2012 | 11:30 pm

I think he handles a bullpen better for the long season better than average, and his teams have been very successful from a SB% viewpoint, with or without Gardner. Other than that, he hasn’t made that much of a impression, one way or the other.

8. MJ Recanati
      December 11th, 2012 | 12:13 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

I think that’s a fair analysis.