• Will The Yankees Allow Youkilis To Wear #20?

Posted by on December 11th, 2012 · Comments (43)

Remember when Latroy Hawkins wanted Paul O’Neill’s # 21?

What do you think will happen when Yooooooouk wants to Hip, Hip, Jorge and wear # 20?

More importantly, has anyone seen the road numbers for Yoooooooooooouk over the last two years?

Jim Mason-like.

So, maybe Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouk should wear # 22?

Comments on Will The Yankees Allow Youkilis To Wear #20?

1. Corey
      December 11th, 2012 | 7:41 pm

How did he get 12 million? Does ANYONE think he’s worth 12 million?

This will be a strike against Cashman’s record when it’s all said and done.

2. December 11th, 2012 | 7:45 pm

Chavez would have been a lot cheaper.

3. MJ Recanati
      December 11th, 2012 | 7:47 pm

I can’t imagine Youk gets #20 issued to him.

4. MJ Recanati
      December 11th, 2012 | 7:48 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Chavez would have been a lot cheaper.

Absolutely. But if there’s one thing we know about Randy Levine, it’s that efficiency doesn’t matter to him. If he’d rather spend four times the amount for Youkilis, there’s nothing you can do to convince him otherwise.

December 11th, 2012 | 8:06 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Chavez would have been a lot cheaper.

1/4th the cost. I still think it was a case where Chavez signed before the D-Backs changed their mind.

I don’t know if they preferred Youk over Chavez because he bats righthanded, or because he is a “name” player, or because he may be a bit more durable than Chavez, but he’ll probably play the same role in that he’ll probably see time at 1st & 3rd.

As for numbers, I don’t know; I would think it would be a multiple of 20; 40 maybe?

6. Greg H.
      December 11th, 2012 | 8:08 pm

Please tell me that there’s SOME chance this guy will bounce back. It seems like not long ago he was a very difficult out.

As far as wearing old (non retired) numbers, the Yanks’ practice makes no sense to me. Ichiro should wear 51, for example. Love Bernie, but until the number is retired, what’s the difference?

December 11th, 2012 | 8:27 pm
    8. December 11th, 2012 | 8:32 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      You think this was Levine and not Cashman?

9. December 11th, 2012 | 8:33 pm

@ Greg H.:
      FWIW, it’s not uncommon.

Lots of people – including Chambliss and Cerone – wore #10 before they retired it for the Scooter.

10. Greg H.
      December 11th, 2012 | 8:40 pm

Steve L. wrote:

FWIW, it’s not uncommon.

Exactly – so I don’t see why with the recent players – I think it started with O’Neil – that no one wears the numbers of popular guys (absent any criteria) these days.

11. Greg H.
      December 11th, 2012 | 8:41 pm

@ Raf:
      That was mildly shocking.

December 11th, 2012 | 9:17 pm

Steve L. wrote:

@ Greg H.:
      FWIW, it’s not uncommon.

Then again I don’t think #49 was reassigned after Guidry retired. #44 is another number I don’t remember being circulated much after Jackson left (I remember a coach having it briefly).

13. LMJ229
      December 11th, 2012 | 10:55 pm

Steve L. wrote:

@ MJ Recanati:
      You think this was Levine and not Cashman?

I was going to ask the same question. It seems any time an unpopular move is made, it’s always on somebody else, never on Cashman. No more George to blame, let’s move on to Randy Levine.

14. LMJ229
      December 11th, 2012 | 11:04 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Chavez would have been a lot cheaper.

Yup but the Yankees wanted to bring Chavez back at a cheaper price than the $3M the Diamondbacks offered him. Word was that the Indians had offered Youkilis an $18M/2yr contract so if you consider that to be his market value the Yankees overpaid him by the same amount they wouldn’t pay to Chavez. Penny wise and pound foolish. If the Yankees were in any other business they’d be bankrupt.

15. Evan3457
      December 11th, 2012 | 11:22 pm

Maybe Youkillis is over-the-hill and will be a $12 million bust, but the other half of maybe is…maybe not.

Steve L. wrote:

BABIP, 2011-2012

Home: .359
      Road: .206

I have no idea why.

Oh, yeah, I hear Yankee Stadium is a good park for home run hitters.

December 11th, 2012 | 11:39 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Makes sense; Chavez pulled down $900k last year. At triple the salary, and double what he made the season prior, I could see why the Yanks would balk.

If the Yankees were in any other business they’d be bankrupt.

Considering how well the business is doing, probably not ;)

17. Greg H.
      December 12th, 2012 | 1:56 am

I’m not so sure there’s blame here – didn’t we just sign the best player available to fit the need we suddenly found out about? I’d say that’s a success so far, now it’s up to Youk to put up. I don’t mind putting the screws to an ex-red suck to see what happens, and I don’t think it’s a problem for NY to overpay on a one year deal to get the best player readily available.

18. #15
      December 12th, 2012 | 8:12 am

@ Greg H.:
      Bingo. And the better option as of 12/12/12 is…. Anyone?

I’ve been a big supporter of Chavey with the Yankees and wanted him back. The Backs more than tripled his salary and he jumped at it (the year before Chavey said if the Yankees didn’t want him back he’d have retired, but no one offered more than the 900K we did). Once he was gone, Youk was the best option. In fact, his proven glove at first and third probably offers us a bit more (Chavey was never as comfortable at first base), especially considering that Swisher is gone. I also like the extra right handed bat on the squad.

As far as numbers go… I suspect Youk is smart enough to not step on Jorge so soon after his retirement.

19. December 12th, 2012 | 9:29 am

The last time Yoooooooouk was a good hitter was July of 2011. What makes anyone think he’s going to add any value to the Yankees? (Never mind the fact that he’s never going to add $12 million worth of value.)

Other than being some mild John Wockenfuss form of conversation starter for the YES Network analysts in April, I don’t think we’re going to get that much out of Yooooooooouk this year.

20. MJ Recanati
      December 12th, 2012 | 9:43 am

LMJ229 wrote:

If it seems that way, it’s probably because we know that’s how it has gone done. Gary Sheffield, Jaret Wright and Rafael Soriano are three of the best exampels and, in each case, we know that Brian Cashman was overruled by his bosses to bring in those three players.

I don’t know if that’s what happened in this case but I am speculating based on the fact that we know Cashman couldn’t get approval to make an offer to Chavez. If he couldn’t get approval to offer Chavez a pittance, I can only assume that his bosses were involved in offering four times the amount for Youkilis.

21. #15
      December 12th, 2012 | 10:29 am

@ Steve L.:
      The last time A-Rod was a good hitter was….

Okay. To be fair, we are stuck with him and, to be fair, Youk was the best option from a group of not great options both before and after Chavy signed. Youk played ~ 120 games last year. I doubt we could have gotten that many games from Chavy, and we are probably going to need about that many (or more appearances) A-Rod being back by mid-year is not set in stone.

I do think there is a chance for Youk to have an Ichi-like bounce back and I doubt we’ll see much if any difference between A-Rod’s production and defense and Youks (we might be a lick better in fact). I also prefer to have Youk at the dish “close and late” instead of A-Rod.

Anyone know where things stand with Nix? We need his versatility.

22. December 12th, 2012 | 10:45 am

@ #15:
      Nix has signed a minor league deal and accepted an ML assignment with the Yankees.

23. #15
      December 12th, 2012 | 11:33 am

@ Steve L.:
      Thanks for the info.

That’s good news.

24. December 12th, 2012 | 11:46 am

Yup. Nix did a decent job last year. And, if they wanted to save money, I could have lived with a Nix/David Adams platoon at 3B for the first three months of the season until A-Rod came back.

But, maybe the Yankees are thinking A-Rod will only be a DH when he comes back?

25. McMillan
      December 12th, 2012 | 12:26 pm

Is it a certainty Cashman has not offered Posada a 1-yr. contract to come out of retirement and be the team’s starting catcher in 2013, or is not considering doing so?

26. December 12th, 2012 | 12:49 pm

McMillan wrote:

I doubt it – Cashman wouldn’t let Posada catch, at all, in his last season.

27. McMillan
      December 12th, 2012 | 12:54 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I doubt it – Cashman wouldn’t let Posada catch, at all, in his last season.

I wasn’t serious…

28. McMillan
      December 12th, 2012 | 1:10 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Youkilis is now the responsibility of the Steinbrenners or Levine, and the salary offered was excessive – the team’s payroll is an issue. If the team makes it to the postseason through the substantial contributions of Youkilis (and he will hit in Oct.), all that will be significant is that the team made it to the postseason and that Cashman was the G.M. at the time.

29. #15
      December 12th, 2012 | 5:15 pm

@ Steve L.:
      I think Nix is at his max value when, on any given day, he can move around and offer guys a day off. I think he’s a better outfielder than Raul (and Jones) and a better all arouund infielder than Nunez. As the Yanks get older, the versatile sub, particularly in terms of glove and foot speed, will be a more and more valuable commodity.

30. December 12th, 2012 | 5:32 pm

BTW, did you know that Nix was the 44th overall pick in the 2001 draft? Then again, John-Ford Griffin was the 23rd overall pick that year.

31. Corey
      December 12th, 2012 | 5:47 pm

Just had a debate with a buddy of mine over whether Youk’s career is exactly the same as Boggs and how Youk is only slightly worse than Boggs. Does anyone else think he’s nuts? Boggs is hands down the better player.

32. MJ Recanati
      December 12th, 2012 | 6:04 pm

Corey wrote:

Tell your friend he’s nuts.

Youkilis has played 1033 career games with a bWAR of 30.6. Through Boggs’s first 1027 games (the 1982-1988 seasons), he registers 50.8 bWAR. Youkilis has played more 1B (607) than 3B (442) at this point so that’s obviously cut into his overal positional value. Notwithstanding that, Boggs averaged 7 marginal wins above replacement over the same number of games as Youkilis.

Their respective batting lines are similar (Boggs .328/.415/.443; Youkilis .283/.384/.482) but their wOBA’s favor Boggs (.381 to .377) which tells me that while Boggs had marginally less power than Youkilis, his sustained ability to get on base without sacrificing much power makes him a more impactful player.

Shoot, Boggs is in the HOF and Youk hasn’t a prayer (and that was before the injuries).

33. MJ Recanati
      December 12th, 2012 | 6:06 pm

@ Corey:
      I re-read what you wrote. I see your friend’s point; the two are similar in some respects but not in overall value. Boggs’s prime years were among the best ever.

December 12th, 2012 | 6:34 pm

Steve L. wrote:

CHW
      H: .325/.447/.618
      A: .172/.266/.284

BOS
      H: .269/.356/.436
      A: .191/.267/.309

Total
      H: .303/.413/.547/
      A: .177/.266/.291

If deployed correctly (he also has a pretty heavy platoon split), he can still be an effective player.

35. #15
      December 12th, 2012 | 9:46 pm

@ Raf:
      Damn.
      Get the guy an apartment in every major league city.

36. OldYanksFan
      December 12th, 2012 | 9:48 pm

@ Corey:
      He needs to be worth 2.7 WAR to be worth his contract.
      However, we did pay a premium to get him to sign for only 1 year.
      Was it an overpay? Maybe a bit. But he’s the best 3Bman on a weak market, and we got him without blowing the 2014 budget.
      So all things considered, it was a decent deal for us.

37. Evan3457
      December 12th, 2012 | 10:48 pm

OldYanksFan wrote:

@ Corey:
      He needs to be worth 2.7 WAR to be worth his contract.
      However, we did pay a premium to get him to sign for only 1 year.
      So all things considered, it was a decent deal for us.

Pretty much the way I see it. If he busts, A-Rod should be back by July.

38. LMJ229
      December 12th, 2012 | 11:05 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

We know Sheffield was a George signing and Soriano was a Levine signing but I’m not so sure about Jaret Wright. Signing free agents is the GM’s job. To assume otherwise, without any real knowledge to the contrary, just doesn’t make sense to me.

39. Evan3457
      December 13th, 2012 | 12:54 am

Rumors persist that signing Jaret Wright was George’s idea, because he beat the Yanks in a key playoff games as a rookie and again in 1998. George liked “bulldogs” who beat his team, or at least did well against them, in big games.

The move made no sense at the team, and had an extremely low percentage chance of working. Assuming he’s responsible, I count it as a clear mistake by Cashman, along with players such as Steve Karsay and Kyle Farnsworth, because they had almost no chance of working out as the Yankees wanted. George may have forced it on Cashman. George is also rumored to have been behind the decision to trade for Randy Johnson, after the pitching collapsed in 2004 ALCS vs. the Red Sox.

December 13th, 2012 | 1:13 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Especially after he failed his physical…

41. December 14th, 2012 | 2:25 pm

Youk is all Cashman! Per Wally Matthews tweets:

Cashman: I’m comfortable and satisfied with what we’ve done so far this off-season

Cash on Youk: He certainly cushions the blow of losing Alex. I couldn’t think of anyone better to replace him at 3b than Kevin Youkilis.

December 14th, 2012 | 7:24 pm

@ Steve L.:
      I’m not sweating it either way.

43. January 9th, 2013 | 11:25 am