• World Series Winners Since 2001

Posted by on December 13th, 2012 · Comments (18)

Here’s the leader board for teams with World Series rings since 2001:

Red Sox 2
    Giants 2
    Cardinals 2
    Phillies 1
    Diamondbacks 1
    Angels 1
    Marlins 1
    White Sox 1
    Yankees 1

Does this mean, if you’re 20 years old today, or sightly younger, that you would consider the Red Sox, Cardinals and Giants to be more “storied” than most teams in baseball during your lifetime?

Comments on World Series Winners Since 2001

1. MJ Recanati
      December 13th, 2012 | 9:31 am

If you slice the pie that way, were the Yankees seen as “less storied” than the Blue Jays or Twins if you looked at them in 1995, where each franchise had won two WS championships and the Yankees had none over the previous 15 years?

You’re always interested in framing questions in a way that denigrates or otherwise diminishes all of the things the Yankees have accomplished.

2. December 13th, 2012 | 9:48 am

You sound like one of those Yankees fans who brags about 27 rings even though most of them were won before you were alive.

3. December 13th, 2012 | 10:02 am

Steve L. wrote:

So we Yankee fans can’t appreciate what has happened in the past? Are we forced to appreciate just a snippet of the grand history of the franchises we follow? When I root for a team, I root for the past and present.

Just because I wasn’t born in the 20s doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate that Ruth, Gehrig, and others played for the Yankees and that I can’t study their history, enjoy their success, and read their biographies. For an example, I love the fact that Gehrig was a Yankee because his life story inspires me.

The definition of “storied” is “celebrated in or associated with stories or legends.” Legends are made along a long period of time and personally, I don’t think 11 years is nearly enough to build any of the above teams into legendary status… well, except the Red Sox in 2004, but that’s because of their “storied” past of losing for 86 years.

Using your definition either way, I’ve been alive since 1987 and the Yankees still won more World Series than any other in the 25 years I’ve lived, so I guess the Yankees are still more “storied” than most teams in baseball during my lifetime, despite how narrowing my life snapshot may be.

4. December 13th, 2012 | 10:51 am

IMHO, Yankees fans today who like to brag about rings that happened more than 50 years ago are like fans of Sylvester Stallone bragging about him and citing the first Rocky movie.

Yes, Sylvester Stallone is still working and somewhat relevant. But, let’s not make him out to be an Oscar worthy actor because of something he once did in the 1970’s. That was a long time ago – like when the Yankees were a dynasty.

5. McMillan
      December 13th, 2012 | 11:25 am

The Yankees are still recognized as the most storied franchise in baseball if you’re 20 yrs.-old today – they have to be; that fact is referred to numerous times by commentators and sportswriters each postseason. But when you travel to other parts of the country you often hear about the “obscenities” of “$3,000.00″ seats at the “new” Stadium, Rodriguez’s contract, and the team’s payroll advantage. So to the ears of those 20 yrs.-old or slightly younger, such words of older people around them coupled with the fact that the team has won one-sixth the number of world championships of the Cardinals, Giants, and Red Sox and as many as the Diamondbacks, Marlins, etc., probably means that the team has made much fewer younger fans since 2001 in the U.S. than it would have had it won 2 world championships with fewer postseason appearances and having spent less than 2 dollars for every 1 dollar teams such as San Francisco have spent.

6. December 13th, 2012 | 11:27 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Actually, I have been a Yankees season ticket holder since 2001. So, the last 12 years snapshot is relevant to me.

7. MJ Recanati
      December 13th, 2012 | 11:45 am

Steve L. wrote:

Did I brag about anything? I just think it’s ridiculous to argue that the Yankees aren’t something that they clearly are based on your selective endpoints. There’s a difference between being storied over the course of a franchise’s history and looking at specific slices in time when other teams can also have experienced success.

Anyway, this is a pointless argument. If you think the Yankees are “less storied” than other teams, you’re entitled to your opinion. Just be careful not to confuse your opinion for universal fact.

8. Garcia
      December 13th, 2012 | 12:42 pm

Why isn’t slavery legal? Man…so glad I didn’t learn anything in history class, I so want a slave to build me a pyramid. History is meaningless – SAY IT LOUD!!!

9. G.I. Joey
      December 13th, 2012 | 1:02 pm

If you’re 20 years old today, or sightly younger and don’t recognize that the Yankees are one of the most storied franchises in baseball, yet alone all of sports, you are either and extreme hater or an idiot. Plain and simple.

10. Garcia
      December 13th, 2012 | 2:05 pm

@ G.I. Joey:
      I’m 37, as far as I’m concerned the Yankees “history” starts with 1996…did they win 22, 30, 45, world series before that? It doesn’t matter. That’s history!!!

What only matters is what happens in my lifetime. History…is just that…history, it’s to be forgotten and never mentioned again. How dare you call me an idiot? ;-)

Actually, I just executed a purge process to forget everything that happened in my lifetime before 5 minutes ago.

How aren’t you all having fun with this? Steve is obviously trying to find whatever way possible to diminish this team to be as relevant as stale bread. It’s hilarious to see how Steve tries to figure out new and un-clever ways to make himself out to be the most unbiased Yankee fan on the planet.

I know of an easier solution, just blog about baseball and not about the Yankees…oh wait…that IS what he’s doing.

11. EHawk
      December 13th, 2012 | 2:55 pm

Now that the Angels signed Hamilton you have to consider them at the top of the AL. I mean their lineup with Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Trumbo, Morales has a lot of talent and power. We shall see but the Rangers have to be kicking themselves seeing him go to a division rival. I wonder if Hamilton even shopped the offer back to the Rangers like it was rumored he would?

12. MJ Recanati
      December 13th, 2012 | 2:59 pm

EHawk wrote:

On paper, sure. But this exact team (without Hamilton but with Greinke and Haren) missed the playoffs.

December 13th, 2012 | 6:12 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

To that point, I did a lot of stupid things when I was 20 and slightly younger… Small wonder I’m alive today.

But yeah, the Yankees make a big deal of their history, that’s why they have Monument Park, and trotted out people like DiMaggio, Rizzuto, Berra, Mantle, etc.

December 13th, 2012 | 6:13 pm

Brent wrote:

We can, the self hating Yankees fans, not so much… :P

December 13th, 2012 | 6:15 pm

EHawk wrote:

I’ve seen this song and dance too many times before. They said the same about the Angels last year, they said the same about the Red Sox two years ago. They said the same about the Phillies, Marlins and Mets.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

16. Greg H.
      December 13th, 2012 | 8:39 pm

Brent wrote:

I love the fact that Gehrig was a Yankee because his life story inspires me.

Just bought and watched “Pride of the Yankees.” Great movie.
      To Brent’s point – they didn’t call it “Pride of the Tigers” for a reason.

17. Rich M
      December 14th, 2012 | 11:07 am

Here is another way to look at it.

Red Sox:2 WS,6 playoff appearances,1 division title,1 losing season
      Giants:2 WS,4 playoff appearances,3 division titles,4 losing seasons
      Cards:2 WS,8 playoff appearances,5 division titles,1 losing season
      Phils:1 WS,5 playoff appearances,5 division titles,1 losing season
      DBacks:1 WS,4 playoff appearances,4 division titles,5 losing seasons
      Angels:1 WS,6 playoff appearances,5 division titles,3 losing seasons
      Marlins:1 WS,1 playoff appearance,0 division titles,7 losing seasons
      Whitesox:1 WS,2 playoff appearances,2 division titles,3 losing seasons
      Yanks:1 WS,11 playoff appearances,9 division titles, 0 losing seasons

18. McMillan
      December 14th, 2012 | 3:38 pm

Rich M wrote:

Here is another way to look at it.
      Red Sox:2 WS,6 playoff appearances,1 division title,1 losing season
      Giants:2 WS,4 playoff appearances,3 division titles,4 losing seasons
      Cards:2 WS,8 playoff appearances,5 division titles,1 losing season
      Phils:1 WS,5 playoff appearances,5 division titles,1 losing season
      DBacks:1 WS,4 playoff appearances,4 division titles,5 losing seasons
      Angels:1 WS,6 playoff appearances,5 division titles,3 losing seasons
      Marlins:1 WS,1 playoff appearance,0 division titles,7 losing seasons
      Whitesox:1 WS,2 playoff appearances,2 division titles,3 losing seasons
      Yanks:1 WS,11 playoff appearances,9 division titles, 0 losing seasons

Here is another way to look at it:
      Cost of World Championships by Team Since 2001 (2 World Championships)
      Giants: $540,984,362.00
      Cardinals: $547,389,546.00
      Red Sox: $797,297,758.50

Cost of World Championships by Team Since 2001 (1 World Championship)
      Marlins: $536,248,012.00;