• Cashman Pontificates On Yankees Off-Season “Activity”

Posted by on December 15th, 2012 · Comments (18)

Chad Jennings has a transcript of the whining, er, opining from the Yankees G.M.

I’ve always been amazed at how Cashman could be soooooooo Telfon and thin-skinned at the same time. Usually, someone who always beats the rap doesn’t give a rat’s rear on what people think. But, little Brian seems to always have that chip on his shoulder for some reason?

Then again, when you’re a compulsive blame-shifter, it sort of makes sense that nothing ever sticks to you – even when it is your fault.

Comments on Cashman Pontificates On Yankees Off-Season “Activity”

1. LMJ229
      December 16th, 2012 | 12:16 am

With all of the one-year contracts that are set to expire and the looming free agents at the end of this year, Cashman will essentially be left with the task of rebuilding the team for 2014 and beyond. I, for one, have zero faith in him.

2. KPOcala
      December 16th, 2012 | 12:54 am

I had the faith, until this years minor league debacle. Not the injuries, but the lack of development of the players that the team has exhibited for decades. It’s hard to fathom how this is possible. Yeah, I get that the Yanks pick late in the draft, but they’ve also had the ability to bid above slot and snatch international free agents. And the idea of stacking catchers and catchers up, then suddenly they “seem” to be years away. The almost Teflon Nardi Contraras, Billy Connors, what the hell has been going on for forty years. This is definitely not all Cashman’s doings, but he has had the chance to evaluate his advisors. The result is Chapman getting past, Cespedes sliding away, Yu Darvish… Can these guys tell who’d got “The Right Stuff”? You watch players for decades and talent like that goes by? Kudos to Cash for some astute trades, not perfect, but more than acceptable. He needs to get creative this year, I’m not counting how many games they win, but how many pieces are in place at the end of the year. He better have a brainstorm, or changes will be made….

3. KPOcala
      December 16th, 2012 | 12:57 am

Great news! The Yankees are mulling getting Vernon Wells as the right handed complimentary bat. Maybe he hits like Jimmy Fox. I’d be happy with Andy Fox…….

4. Evan3457
      December 16th, 2012 | 6:11 am

I don’t see any whining at all in those remarks by Cashman.

Maybe you mean some other whining he’s done…

5. Evan3457
      December 16th, 2012 | 6:13 am

LMJ229 wrote:

…and he’ll have a crap-ton of money available to do it. The Yankees won’t use all of it, of course.

LMJ229 wrote:

I, for one, have zero faith in him.

I’m taking a more agnostic view of it. I have my doubts, but I’m willing to wait, and see what happens.

6. LMJ229
      December 16th, 2012 | 10:05 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Yes, I’ve read reports that they are already compiling a wish list of free agents for 2015. I just hate having to rely on free agents all the time. Some guys flat out don’t want to play in New York. And with the way other teams are now spending and the competition that will create, I’d hate to see the Yankees dole out a CC/Texiera type of contract for a superstar player on the wrong side of 30. We need to develop some of our own talent.

7. LMJ229
      December 16th, 2012 | 10:35 am

KPOcala wrote:

Exactly! When Cashman was hired as GM he responded this way when asked about his strength as a talent evaluator:
      “It’s not a strength. I’m an administrator. I’m a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent.”
      He made that comment in 1998. Unfortunately, I believe it still stands today.

8. LMJ229
      December 16th, 2012 | 10:37 am

KPOcala wrote:

Please tell me this is a joke.

December 16th, 2012 | 11:01 am

LMJ229 wrote:

I, for one, have zero faith in him.

Yep. Pretty much the case around these parts for years, and the Yanks keep rolling along 8)

KPOcala wrote:

That’s just dumb, even if the Angels are willing to trade him for a rosin bag.

Evan3457 wrote:

I don’t see any whining at all in those remarks by Cashman.

Neither do I.

LMJ229 wrote:

I just hate having to rely on free agents all the time.

The rest of the league doesn’t see it that way, especially the way the CBA is constructed in relation to the draft and international free agents.

10. LMJ229
      December 16th, 2012 | 11:07 am

Raf wrote:

He has never had to completely rebuild the team. He has always just gone out and plugged holes. So I guess we will see.

December 16th, 2012 | 11:25 am

LMJ229 wrote:

He has never had to completely rebuild the team.

He probably won’t have to completely rebuild the team either, there are still parts to work with. This subject has been coming up every year since 2007.

12. Evan3457
      December 16th, 2012 | 11:32 am

Wells hit well against lefties in 2011, but poorly against them last year. He’s 34, so he might really be finished. Looks like Andruw Jones II to me. I don’t think the Yanks should pick him up. But they might.

December 16th, 2012 | 11:49 am

@ Evan3457:
      He hit them poorly in 2010 & 2009. It’s not like he offers anything defensively either. I would normally take a flyer on player, but I’d pass on this one.

14. MJ Recanati
      December 17th, 2012 | 12:19 pm

KPOcala wrote:

The result is Chapman getting past, Cespedes sliding away, Yu Darvish…

They got past a lot of other teams too. I would’ve liked to see the team roll the dice on Cespdes but I was just fine passing on Chapman and not commiting $100M to Darvish.

15. December 17th, 2012 | 12:22 pm

Letting Cespedes and Leonys Martin sneak past you, when you are so thin at the upper levels in the minors, was a big Cashman mistake. Brian better hope that Slade and Mason come quickly.

16. Ricketson
      December 17th, 2012 | 12:41 pm

Nov. 30, 2012: “I think that we’re doing really well early in the process [and with] our winter program… I’m not sure if anyone is doing better than us right now.”

Dec. 7, 2012: “I don’t feel like we’re not having a productive winter.”

Dec. 17, 2012: “I think it’s too early to say that we’ve gotten better or not… We have a lot of time on the clock here to continue methodically putting this team together and hopefully putting something together that really has a chance to put us back to where we were last year…”

17. MJ Recanati
      December 17th, 2012 | 1:04 pm

Steve L. wrote:

The use of the word “sneak” is a peculiar one. IFA’s don’t sneak by anyone. All teams have the choice to bid or pass and the Yankees weren’t comfortable offering him a starting MLB salary when they already had three starters set for 2012. The A’s could afford to be more aggressive because they didn’t have anyone on their depth chart that had much in the way of upside (and because they had cleared money by trading a number of players over the previous six months).

18. Evan3457
      December 17th, 2012 | 5:03 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Steve L. wrote:

And all that because when you are a cellar-dwellar, you have nothing to lose, which allows you to gamble all you want. Especially if you’re a GM with a reputation as a genius holding an impoverished franchise together by your intellect and guts alone.

Gene Michael was in more or less the same situation when he became GM of the Yanks the 2nd time.