• Yankees 2013 Opening Day Roster

Posted by on December 17th, 2012 · Comments (74)

Right now, it looks like this:

Player Age Pos
    Phil Hughes 27 SP
    Ivan Nova 26 SP
    Eduardo Nunez 26 BENCH
    Melky Mesa 26 BENCH
    Jayson Nix 30 BENCH
    Francisco Cervelli 27 BENCH

If you’re a Yankees fan, how do you feel about that?

Comments on Yankees 2013 Opening Day Roster

1. December 18th, 2012 | 9:10 am

@ Scout:
      Go to a minor league game below AA. They will all look like babies. At the least, they do when I go…

…I’m now 50.

2. McMillan
      December 18th, 2012 | 12:20 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Oh, and he’s 38 going on 39.

And last year he was 37 going on 38. So his numbers can improve from 37 to 38, but “should” drop off “significantly” from 38 to 39. “Okey dokey.”

3. McMillan
      December 18th, 2012 | 1:38 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Do you want to castigate Cashman for building a team of sluggers who K too much and choke in the playoffs?

Its “his” team.
      Evan3457 wrote:

Do you want to castigate him for trying to trade some HR for a little better contact and a lot better team speed?

It was Cashman that said, “[this is] not our DNA [and] not what makes us successful [and] certainly not what’s getting us into the postseason every year.”
      Evan3457 wrote:

Sorry, you don’t get to have both of those arguments.

“The two are not mutually exclusive.”
      Evan3457 wrote:

Cashman has to deal with what is.

Cashman’s responsible for what is; how many teams “have to deal” with reducing a payroll by 15% to $189 mil. in 2 years?
      Evan3457 wrote:

If he thinks the market for Swisher is too high, he lets him go. Just as he did with Martin.

It was Cashman himself that said, “The market for Russell was aggressive… and our focus [was on] our pitching… We never made an offer [to Russell] … We never got to that point.”

4. McMillan
      December 18th, 2012 | 3:20 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Either you’re trolling, or you’re denser than lead.

I guess I’m denser than lead. But I wonder what the response would have been if I or someone else had written 10 paragraphs with that many “abouts,” “assumings,” “buts,” “can expects,” “coulds,” “ifs,” “likelys,” “maybes,” “mays,” “mights,” “probablys,” “shoulds,” and “theoreticals” and came to a less-than-favorable appraisal of the 2013 Opening Day Roster?

5. Evan3457
      December 18th, 2012 | 4:16 pm

McMillan wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:
      Oh, and he’s 38 going on 39.

Why don’t you take a look at baseball history and report back to me on the number of players who’ve had outstanding years at both age 37-8 and 38-9.

The find the number of regular shortstops who’ve done it.

6. Evan3457
      December 18th, 2012 | 4:21 pm

McMillan wrote:

Its “his” team.

O.K., so you’ve made your choice. Fine.

Evan3457 wrote:

Oh, wait; no, you haven’t.

Evan3457 wrote:
      Sorry, you don’t get to have both of those arguments.
      “The two are not mutually exclusive.”

Actually, yes they are mutually exclusive. You don’t get to have both arguments.

Evan3457 wrote:
      Cashman has to deal with what is.

Is there a point in that statement? Doesn’t look like it.

Evan3457 wrote:
      It was Cashman himself that said, “The market for Russell was aggressive…
      Which is, reading between the lines, what I said.

And if the price had been what they wanted to pay, the offer would’ve been made, focus on pitching or not.

7. McMillan
      December 18th, 2012 | 5:03 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

There’s no basis or reason to believe Jeter’s production “should” drop off “significantly” (I think you meant “substantially”) in 2013. The numbers will probably drop off – the home run totals in particular, but overall – not substantially.

December 18th, 2012 | 9:10 pm

McMillan wrote:

😛

9. Evan3457
      December 18th, 2012 | 9:38 pm

McMillan wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

Yes, there is a basis, and I’ve already stated it.

10. KPOcala
      December 19th, 2012 | 5:54 pm

Hughes will have his break-out year, in ’13. One year further removed from what he said has been a lasting hamstring injury. One that would keep him from ‘getting on top of his curve-ball. Watch and see……

11. McMillan
      December 19th, 2012 | 10:53 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

I’ve looked at baseball history and, not surprisingly, there is nothing to suggest the production of a 39 yr. old Jeter “should” drop off “significantly” from a 38 yr. old Jeter, just that a decrease in production can be expected.

12. Ricketson
      December 21st, 2012 | 9:15 pm

McMillan wrote:

With Collins, Molitor, Wagner, Yastrzemski, and even Speaker within reach of last year’s hit total, and given the type of player and hitter Jeter is, I would be little more surprised with less than 190 hits than more in 2013; he’s been a “younger” guy since collecting his 3000th hit in 2011 (might be hitting .325 since then). I’ll put him down for 190 – 200 in 2013 – I don’t think that’s unrealistic for him. After that, maybe 1 more year before his numbers begin to decline more significantly.

13. McMillan
      December 22nd, 2012 | 11:54 am

Evan3457 wrote:

And if the Yanks sign or trade for a solid DH, then the offensive dropoff decreases to nil.

“General manager Brian Cashman said Thursday the free-agent and trade pools ‘are not deep’ when it comes to acquiring a righty-hitting outfielder… the Yankees could turn to Eduardo Nunez to be the DH.”

14. Ricketson
      January 4th, 2013 | 6:31 pm

“I know a lot of people have told me they think home runs are bad,” Cashman said. “I’m not one of them. Well, those people are going to get a chance to see what it looks like. I do believe power is big in an offense and we lost a lot of home runs, but our pitching is stronger.”

15. LMJ229
      January 5th, 2013 | 1:59 am

Ricketson wrote:

I can’t imagine people calling home runs “bad” however I could see people not liking the all-or-nothing approach. Given that the Yankees still have essentially the same line-up, we now have an all-or-nothing approach with less power. And how, exactly, did our pitching get stronger? We have the exact same starters, albeit each a year older, and lost a vital bullpen arm in Soriano.

16. LMJ229
      January 5th, 2013 | 2:04 am

LMJ229 wrote:

“I know a lot of people have told me they think home runs are bad,” Cashman said. “I’m not one of them. Well, those people are going to get a chance to see what it looks like.”

This is a very disturbing quote to me. It sounds like Cashman is setting himself up with a ready made excuse should the Yankees fail.

17. January 5th, 2013 | 9:41 am

@ LMJ229:
      It’s terms of being a teflon GM, he’s the king at it.
      Ever notice all the times he cites Yankees makes in the past? Whether it’s a failed import from Japan or a bad trade or a busted Free Agent, it’s always “we” (from Cashman) when he talks about past mistakes (and never “I”).

18. Corey
      January 5th, 2013 | 11:02 am

Steve L. wrote:

@ LMJ229:
      It’s terms of being a teflon GM, he’s the king at it.

Well I think “we” would be him and the his scouting dept. You think the scouting dept deserves no blame?

19. Evan3457
      January 5th, 2013 | 12:24 pm

McMillan wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

That’s funny. Because I did a quick and dirty study of 38 and 39 year olds, and this is what I found…

First, I had BRef list all players who met 3 criteria

1. Age 38
      2. Enough PA to qualify for a batting title
      3. OPS 100 or greater.

There were 57 such players. I then did a weighted average of their OPS.
      At age 38, the players had a weighted average OPS of 129. At age 39, the same players (minus Fred Clarke, who didn’t play at age 39, but got 12 PA over the next 3 seasons, Paul O’Neill, who retired at age 38, and Jeter himself, who hasn’t played at age 39 yet) had an average OPS of 118.

But that’s not all, the fifty-four age 39 players had only 82% of the plate appearances of the of the previous year.

Now, I don’t know how you measure these things but an 8% drop in performance (and really, a 38% drop in batting performance above average) combined with an 18% drop in plate appearances (and this is weighted against the argument I’m making, because the players whose performance fell off a cliff, as a group, would see their playing time decrease far more than the players performing well) is a significant drop in production, wouldn’t you say?

20. Ricketson
      January 6th, 2013 | 12:36 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

It didn’t; that’s why I included that part of the quote…

21. McMillan
      January 6th, 2013 | 12:49 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

No. I disagree with your analysis, and I think your contention that Jeter’s offensive production should drop off significantly in 2013 because he himself is one year older is “horsespit;” and in approximately 10 months the numbers for the season will confirm this.

22. Evan3457
      January 6th, 2013 | 4:28 pm

McMillan wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

OK, so you disagree, and it’s just your opinion.

That’s fine.

23. McMillan
      October 6th, 2013 | 10:12 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

The pitching staff is OK. Should be solid again, assuming Mariano is back near where he was. The defense will be the same or better overall…

How much is the offense down from last year? … The difference between Martin and Stewart/Cervelli is significant… Jeter absolutely cannot be expected to have a significant dropoff as well. Overall, Suzuki is a downgrade from Swisher…

… Granderson will likely bounce back some, and Cano… too. Both will likely improve. Tex probably won’t, because he refuses to “change his game”. Gardner won’t hit nearly as many HRs, but will likely be near league average offensively, which will be an improvement over Ibanez/Jones. He won’t hit a half-dozen clutch HRs, but he’ll do his thing on the bases.

Overall, if I had to guess, I’d guess the team’s runs scored drops by about 30 or so, but the defense improves by nearly that much. That leaves it up to the pitching.

… if the Yanks sign or trade for a solid DH, then the offensive dropoff decreases to nil, and if the pitching holds, they could actually be slightly better than last season, even if the record won’t show it because of the improvement of the Red Sox and Blue Jays, and possibly the Orioles and Rays as well.

@ Evan3457:
      Good call. “That leaves it up to the pitching.” The pitching finished league-average in E.R.A. It’s wasn’t the injuries, “it was the pitching, stupid.”

24. Evan3457
      October 7th, 2013 | 3:18 am

McMillan wrote:

@ Evan3457:

The pitching didn’t perform in a vaccuum. I said much, much earlier in the year, around about a month after they stopped hitting in mid-May, that if the guys who were hurt didn’t make it back, the pitching would eventually collapse under the wait of trying to carry the poor offense.

Which it did. So thanks for reminding me about that.