• Godzilla Retires

Posted by on December 28th, 2012 · Comments (6)

Derek Jeter said it best – via Mr. Murti:

STATEMENT FROM YANKEES SHORTSTOP DEREK JETER (Matsui’s teammate from 2003-09)

“I’ve said it numerous times over the years, but it’s worth repeating now. I’ve had a lot of teammates over the years with the Yankees, but I will always consider Hideki one of my favorites. The way he went about his business day in and day out was impressive. Despite being shadowed by a large group of reporters, having the pressures of performing for his fans both in New York and Japan and becoming acclimated to the bright lights of New York City, he always remained focused and committed to his job and to those of us he shared the clubhouse with. I have a lot of respect for Hideki. He was someone we counted on a great deal and he’s a big reason why we became World Champions in 2009.”

Here’s a crazy comp:

Rk Player OPS+ G From To Age PA R H 2B 3B HR RBI SO BA OBP SLG
    2 Hideki Matsui 123 1061 2003 2010 29-36 4378 591 1109 220 12 161 681 583 .290 .369 .479
    3 Aramis Ramirez 123 1071 2003 2010 25-32 4494 615 1178 246 14 225 780 577 .291 .353 .526
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
    Generated 12/28/2012.

That said, I would take Godzilla, in his prime, on my team, any day of the week. He was a pro’s pro and he was very capable at the bat.

Comments on Godzilla Retires

1. Evan3457
      December 28th, 2012 | 8:58 pm

I guess he really was finished.

Very good player. Very good teammate. They want to have a Hideki Matsui Day for him next year, or any year, I’m all for it. Retired number? Not so sure about that. Maybe as a Japanese pioneer on the Yanks…I dunno.

2. December 28th, 2012 | 11:37 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Maybe as a Japanese pioneer on the Yanks….

Irabu, anyone?

December 28th, 2012 | 11:48 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:
      Maybe as a Japanese pioneer on the Yanks….
      Irabu, anyone?

Kats Maeda :)

4. Ricketson
      December 29th, 2012 | 5:30 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

You’ve got to be kidding? Some of the current numbers retired by the Yankees are ridiculous enough – but Matsui? MLB should set restrictions on the retirement of numbers – it just should not be allowed in some instances. I would be all for having a Hideki Matsui Day for the 55th home game of every season, a Bernie Williams Day for the 51st home game of every season, etc., but not the retirement of his number.

December 29th, 2012 | 11:06 pm
    6. Ricketson
      May 31st, 2013 | 10:06 am

Hideki Matsui will sign a one-day minor league contract with the New York Yankees in late July so he can retire with the franchise.

Prior to the July 28 game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Yankee Stadium, Matsui will ink the deal and the Yankees will dedicate the day to honoring him. The first 18,000 fans will receive Matsui bobbleheads, which portray him with his 2009 World Series MVP trophy.