• When Derek Jeter Goes Into Cooperstown

Posted by on January 4th, 2013 · Comments (18)

I know that’s going to be about seven years from now.  But, when it happens – and it’s going to happen – do you know how insane an event it’s going to be?

The village of Cooperstown is going to be swamped that weekend.  And, there’s going to be TONS of money to be made by a lot of people.

It may just be the biggest and craziest  induction weekend in the history of the Hall of Fame.  And, I wonder who, from all the parties involved, will be the one who comes out on top in terms of getting their arms around this thing and controlling what happens, etc.

Hopefully, someone will make a documentary of the whole thing as it unfolds.  It would be great if someone captures all the angles to this happening – include the inside ones.

Comments on When Derek Jeter Goes Into Cooperstown

1. Garcia
      January 4th, 2013 | 9:52 am

I definitely plan on being there.

2. January 4th, 2013 | 11:46 am

I have to think that the Inns and Hotels at Cooperstown will be raising their rates that weekend. :-)

3. MJ Recanati
      January 4th, 2013 | 12:46 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I don’t think there will be enough rooms in Cooperstown to accomodate the Yankee pilgrims making the pilgrimmage. There will be motels 75 miles away that get business they never expected…

4. January 4th, 2013 | 1:06 pm

I suspect that people may even rent out their houses – or rooms in their houses..it may be so insane.

Related, I bet they have to bring in extra law enforcement too.

5. MJ Recanati
      January 4th, 2013 | 1:54 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Related, I bet they have to bring in extra law enforcement too.

LOL, no doubt about it. Funny thing is that there will be a very large contingent of NYPD and cops from NJ, CT and Westchester county all there just for the enshrinement so between the active duty guys and the guys that took the weekend off to see Jeter in the HOF, Cooperstown will be quite the policeman’s convention.

6. January 4th, 2013 | 1:59 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Never thought of that…there should be more guns there than at a NFL players after game party at the local disco…

7. MJ Recanati
      January 4th, 2013 | 2:15 pm

Steve L. wrote:

LOL, definitely. If you’re a civilian, don’t even THINK of going to Cooperstown to start trouble!

8. Garcia
      January 4th, 2013 | 2:50 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Steve L. wrote:

No one breaks the law more than cops, actually, nobody breaks the law more than OFF-DUTY cops.

9. #15
      January 4th, 2013 | 2:59 pm

I’m going…

And let me be the first to volunteer to run the “former girlfriends table and memorabilia-signing booth”. It will be a HOF line-up in itself.

10. January 4th, 2013 | 3:23 pm

@ #15:
      LOL. Betcha Steiner is already working on that.

11. January 4th, 2013 | 3:31 pm

Garcia wrote:

LOL. You remind me of a guy from AAA who once came to tow my car. This was sometime around 2007. He asked me if I was a fireman. (I get that – A LOT – people always assume I am a cop or a fireman. I guess I have that look?)

Anyway, when I told him “No,” he said: “Good, because fireman are all assholes.”

I looked at him and said “Really?” And he said: “Yeah, the worst thing that ever happened was 9-11. After that, every cop and fireman is now a ‘hero.’ Well, most of the fireman that I know are full of shit and assholes. They’re not heroes.”

I didn’t want to push him on it – since I was stuck with him until my car was done. But, I sort of see his point. I know a lot of stories of cops taking advantage of their position. And, they are first hand accounts. But, of course, now, all cops are heroes – like the fireman that my tow truck guy was pissed about…

Not saying I totally agree. Just saying that it’s a point to consider, even if it comes from a tow truck driver with his fat ass hanging out of his pants…

12. MJ Recanati
      January 4th, 2013 | 4:09 pm

Garcia wrote:

Agreed. You can bet that the cops up in Cooperstown on vacation will be getting rowdy at the bars that weekend.

@ Steve L.:
      LOL, I don’t have beef with firefighters but I agree about cops. Cops are assholes and definitely take advantage of their position. I can’t stand cops.

13. #15
      January 4th, 2013 | 4:23 pm

@ Steve L.:
      “And this is the bikini (and the accompanying Daily News photo) I wore on our trip to the Bahamas. It’s never been washed!”

“And this is the backless, strapless dress I wore to the ESPY’s”

“And this is the tube of lubrica…”

This is a gold mine!

I’ll take Jete’s line-up over A-Rod’s.

14. January 4th, 2013 | 4:31 pm

@ #15:
      What, you mean that A-Rod’s Ex-Wife’s “F*ck You” tank top isn’t going to be in his HOF exhibit!? What about the Kabbalah bracelet that Madonna gave him?

15. redbug
      January 4th, 2013 | 5:27 pm

I really like firefighters – esp those who volunteer (the majority of them). Would you want that job? And the work they did on 9/11 WAS heroic. No question.

16. 77yankees
      January 5th, 2013 | 11:40 am

Something to ponder: When Jeter does retire, does he go out Chipper Jones style with a farewell tour that lasts all season, or does he wait until after the season to announce it, fearing it would be a distraction?

You know the Yankees will want to milk that for all it’s worth, but ultimately that’s not their call.

As for the Hall of Fame induction, that will be special for generations of Yankee fans. Here’s why: In my time as a Yankee fan I’ve seen 8 Hall of Famers who were Yankees at one time: Catfish, Reggie, Goose, Gaylord Perry, Winfield, Phil Niekro, Rickey, & Boggs.

Out of those eight, how many really cut the majority of their HOF production as a Yankee? Maybe Winfield and Goose?

And that what sets Jeter apart. Along with Mo, who’ll proceed Jeter’s induction by a few years, they’ll be the first cover to cover Yankee Hall of Famers many of us have seen in our lifetime. And with free agency these days, maybe the only ones at that.

17. January 5th, 2013 | 12:32 pm

@ 77yankees:
      I just hope it’s not messy – where it becomes a retirement situation where Jeter still wants to play and the Yankees shut him out…and then it becomes like that stupid Bernie Williams situation where he’s not playing and goes on for years saying he’s not retired.

January 5th, 2013 | 2:38 pm

@ Steve L.:
      I have a feeling it will be closer to the Posada situation than Williams. Maybe he goes out like Mike Schmidt? I hope he plays a full season when he decides to hang it up.