• Butch Praise For Cervelli

    Posted by on January 5th, 2013 · Comments (12)

    Via Andrew Marchand -

    It took Francisco Cervelli a month to get over the pain of being sent down last spring training. But it left some residue, which might not be a bad thing.

    Cervelli is determined to win the Yankees’ starting job this season. While pitchers and catchers may not have to report for another 37 days, Cervelli said on Sirius/XM’s MLB Network he is already in Tampa.

    With Russell Martin in Pittsburgh, the Yankees’ starting catching situation is a two-man battle between Cervelli and Chris Stewart.

    Joe Girardi may eventually just have a less traditional 1 and 1A setup, but Cervelli wants to win the job outright — and he wants it badly. Austin Romine will need to show the rust is completely gone after missing nearly all of ’12 with a bad back and. So while it is not impossible, it is unlikely he breaks camp with the big club if Cervelli and Stewart are healthy.

    Former Yankee catcher and current Triple-A hitting coach Butch Wynegar believes in Cervelli, who hit .246 with two homers and 39 RBIs in ’12 for Scranton. Cervelli’s OPS was .657.

    “I wish I had 25 Cervellis,” Wynegar said.

    Wynegar talked about Cervelli’s infectious attitude — his trademark smile and grit.

    “There is no doubt he is a big league catcher,” Wynegar said. “My only thing is offensively.”

    Sometimes Wynegar said Cervelli tries to hit for too much power and he is not a power hitter. Wynegar stressed the old adages of going up the middle and the other way.

    “That is true for 95 percent of hitters,” Wynegar said. “It is especially true for him. The kid can hit.”

    Somewhat related, here’s a conversation that never took place between Joe Girardi and Kevin Long:

    Long: If Wynegar laid an egg, it would roll down the back of the telly-vision set.
    Girardi: Ummmm. I hadn’t thought of that.
    Long: Unless it’s a male.
    Girardi: Yes. It looks fairly Butch.

    Seriously, Cervelli as the Yankees starting catcher in 2013? Really?

    At best, he’s a .240 hitter with zero power in the majors. And, that’s not exactly the next Jorge Posada…

    Comments on Butch Praise For Cervelli

    1. Evan3457
      January 5th, 2013 | 11:29 am

      Actually, he’s a lifetime .271 hitter in nearly .500 big league AB. Not a definitive sample, to be sure. However, in the only season he had to play a substantial amount of time, he hit .271. He started strong, had a long slump (80 AB in which he hit about .150), then closed well (40 AB in which he hit .450).

    2. January 5th, 2013 | 11:32 am

      @ Evan3457:
      Fluke. Look at his minor league numbers. He’s not going to do better than those in the majors.

    3. January 5th, 2013 | 11:32 am

      Steve L. wrote:

      Fluke. Look at his minor league numbers. He’s not going to do better than those in the majors.

      Unless, of course, he starts drinking whatever it is that Cano is drinking… :-)

    4. 77yankees
      January 5th, 2013 | 11:46 am

      And with that offense, do we really want a catcher who’s going to put up 20 errors behind the plate? Remember in 2010 he had 13 errors in just 90 games.

    5. Raf
      January 5th, 2013 | 2:44 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      . And, that’s not exactly the next Jorge Posada…

      Offensively, no. Defensively, maybe :P

    6. Evan3457
      January 6th, 2013 | 9:47 am

      Steve L. wrote:

      @ Evan3457:
      Fluke. Look at his minor league numbers. He’s not going to do better than those in the majors.

      His career minor league average was also 271 over about 730 AB…before last year, when he was sent to the minor league and got upset. It makes no sense for him to have had his worst minor league average at age 26, unless you consider the circumstances for that season.

    7. OldYanksFan
      January 7th, 2013 | 9:38 pm

      Steve… do you expect to find ‘a Posada’ for cheap and on a one year deal? The Yanks ave decided NOT to spend money on the Catcher position. If we can get league-average-Catcher from Cervelli, if would be great.

      A BA of .271 would be FANTSTIC. Een .260.
      How many Yankees hit under .260 last year?

      If the Yanks do want to spend money, they are more likely to find a quality bat the is an OFer or DH.

    8. LMJ229
      January 7th, 2013 | 10:08 pm

      I’m fine with Cervelli. He’s never gonna give us Posada-like numbers but I don’t see why he can’t give us Martin-like numbers. His lifetime BA is .271 compared to Martin’s .260. He’s not going to hit for power like Martin, but his RBI % (RBI/AB) of 14.5% is better than Martin’s 13.1%. If he can bat .260-.270 and give us 48-55 RBI that would be just fine. Martin only gave us .211 and 53 last year.

    9. Raf
      January 8th, 2013 | 7:23 am

      LMJ229 wrote:

      He’s never gonna give us Posada-like numbers but I don’t see why he can’t give us Martin-like numbers.

      Because he isn’t as good as Martin? Martin posted a 1.5 WAR season, Cervelli is at 1.8 for his career. As for career;

      RM: .260/.352/.399
      FC: .271/.339/.353

      Stranger things have happened, but I have a feeling that Cervelli’s a placeholder. I may be surprised if only because my expectations for him are fairly low.

      At any rate, I wish him a speedy recovery from his whiplash;
      http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130107&content_id=40877120&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

    10. Garcia
      January 8th, 2013 | 9:47 am

      Steve L. wrote:

      Unless, of course, he starts drinking whatever it is that Cano is drinking… :-)

      I don’t really get why speculating that a player’s performance is due to some type of enhancement really furthers any argument. If anything, I think it cheapens your argument.

      I just don’t see the reason for saying that till you have the empirical evidence, but to each their own i guess.

    11. January 8th, 2013 | 10:35 am
    12. Garcia
      January 8th, 2013 | 10:54 am

      @ Steve L.:
      So that’s YOUR empirical evidence? Com’on! That is all speculation, but whatever man.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.