• Rafael Soriano, Michael Bourn & Kyle Lohse

Posted by on January 6th, 2013 · Comments (13)

Where are they going to sign?

And, if the Yankees are really going to have a low payroll in 2014, why not make one of these guys a one-year offer for $18 million to play for you in 2013 and see if he’ll take that and then roll the dice on being a free agent again in 2014?

Comments on Rafael Soriano, Michael Bourn & Kyle Lohse

1. Corey
      January 6th, 2013 | 10:07 am

None of these guys is worth 18 million. I think the Yanks are better off staying put even for half that.

January 6th, 2013 | 10:53 am

Good question as to where they’re going to sign. Bourn has been recently linked to Texas, who just signed Lance Berkman. I think he has also been linked to the O’s. I don’t see him signing with the Yanks anyway, not with Gardner, Granderson & Ichiro there already.

IIRC, Soriano signed in mid-January, so I guess this isn’t really late for him. I doubt that he’d want to come back anyway; opting out and rejecting the qualifying offer shows that he thought he could do better elsewhere. So in that case, I’m curious to see where he’ll land, and if he does better than the 13-14M that he could’ve gotten.

Not sure if I’d want Kyle Lohse here.

Overall, I’m curious to see what Boras has up his sleeve. I don’t see any of these players signing with NY, for $18m or below, but stranger things have happened. FWIW, Johnny Damon, another Boras client, didn’t sign with the Tigers & Rays until February.

3. January 6th, 2013 | 11:50 am

Corey wrote:

Is A-Rod worth what he’s being paid? Tex?

4. hallofamer2000
      January 6th, 2013 | 1:01 pm

It’s the issue of the draft pick. The Yankees will not sign Soriano b/c whoever gives him the ML deal will give them 1st round pick. Bourn isn’t necessary, so the only person I would consider of these three would be Kyle Lohse, and that would only be if the Yankees are able to trade Phil Hughes for piece(s). And still they would lose a draft pick. So if the Yankees can work out some sort of sign-and-trade for a 1-year deal and find an acceptable trade for Hughes, that is the only way I could see that happen.

5. January 6th, 2013 | 1:08 pm

@ hallofamer2000:
      Given the way the Yankees draft, I don’t think the loss of a pick is that big of a deal for them.

6. Corey
      January 6th, 2013 | 1:18 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Is A-Rod worth what he’s being paid? Tex?

Never said they were, two wrongs don’t make a right.

7. January 6th, 2013 | 1:48 pm

@ Corey:
      I’m just saying – the Yankees almost always overpay guys. It’s their way. So, doing it for one guy, for one year, if it’s the difference between making the playoffs or not, it’s not the end of the world for them.

8. Evan3457
      January 6th, 2013 | 1:59 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Corey wrote:
      Is A-Rod worth what he’s being paid? Tex?

So if the Yanks have two bad contracts, your solution is to sign two more?

9. Garcia
      January 6th, 2013 | 2:36 pm

I do not want to see Soriano in a Yankee uniform.

10. Garcia
      January 6th, 2013 | 2:45 pm

Garcia wrote:

I do not want to see Soriano in a Yankee uniform.

err, AGAIN.

11. January 6th, 2013 | 2:52 pm

Garcia wrote:

I do not want to see Soriano in a Yankee uniform.

He’s not my favorite – for many reasons. But, he did get the job done last year. And, if Mo can’t go, or comes to earth, or age and/or inactivity catches up with him, I do not have faith in anyone else in the Yankees bullpen to cover the 9th inning. Soriano could be a good insurance policy – and maybe even a trade chip later in the year. And, I’m saying this…as much as I don’t like his routine.

12. January 6th, 2013 | 2:54 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

So if the Yanks have two bad contracts, your solution is to sign two more?

There’s no such thing as a bad one-year or two-year contract. Just ask Brian Cashman (Dotel, Vazquez Part II, Nick Johnson Part II, Ichrio, et al.)

13. Corey
      January 6th, 2013 | 5:01 pm

Steve L. wrote:

There’s a huge money gap between what you’re proposing and what Cashman has doled out.