• 2013 Starting Rotations: Yankees Vs. Blue Jays

Posted by on January 21st, 2013 · Comments (8)

This could be Toronto’s starting rotation this season:

Age Yrs
    Mark Buehrle 34 13
    Josh Johnson 29 8
    R.A. Dickey 38 10
    Ricky Romero 28 4
    Brandon Morrow 28 6
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 1/21/2013.

And, this should be the Yankees starting rotation this season:

Age Yrs
    CC Sabathia 32 12
    Hiroki Kuroda 38 5
    Andy Pettitte 41 17
    Phil Hughes 27 6
    Ivan Nova 26 3
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 1/21/2013.

Which do you think will be better in 2013 and why?

Me?  I think they both have interesting potential.   But, they both have some potential serious question marks around age or mileage and the ability to stay healthy.  I think  both rotations, on the high end, could win 70 games each this season.  But, on the low end,  each could only win 55 games in 2013.

Of course, since both teams play in the same division and face each other so often, maybe the key here will be who wins when they face each other?  And, in that case, it will come down to the batting line-ups and bullpens.

Comments on 2013 Starting Rotations: Yankees Vs. Blue Jays

1. Evan3457
      January 21st, 2013 | 10:27 am

It looks to me on paper that the Jays rotation is better, specifically because Morrow kicks the Yanks’ patoot just about every time he faces them now, and because both Hughes and Nova, with their severe difficulties in not allowing EBH and HR, are both bad matchups for the Jays, especially if both Bautista and Encarnacion are healthy.

2. January 21st, 2013 | 10:34 am

Yeah, Morrow is the wildcard here. He does have ace-like stuff. And, if he pitches like an ace, and Johnson and Dickey do the same, then this could be a nasty to team to face in a short series.

3. January 21st, 2013 | 10:35 am

And, FWIW, I would be shocked if Nova gets 30 starts for the Yankees this season.

4. Corey
      January 21st, 2013 | 10:55 am

Steve L. wrote:

I disagree there. Injuries to other members of the rotation will cause him to make his starts unless something drastic happens via trade.

5. January 21st, 2013 | 11:31 am

@ Corey:
      I dunno.
      I agree that, esp with Andy’s age, there’s going to be times where another starter will be needed. And, let’s not forget that Hughes used to be somewhat injury prone in his past too.

But, the way Nova pitched last year, well, if they have to have him start 30 games, they are in trouble.

I do think that Phelps gets more starts in 2013. And, at this point, I am fine with that, if needed. He deserves a chance.

After that, shoot, I would almost rather see Vidal Nuno out there rather than Nova. He’s just going backwards, IMHO. Too cocky for someone with his numbers last year.

January 21st, 2013 | 1:09 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I think so too.

Not as worried about Nova as you are. Nova pitched well, the year before. I’d be shooting for something between 2011 & 2012′s results.

7. Corey
      January 21st, 2013 | 1:18 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Who said I didnt think they were in trouble ? :)

8. Corey
      January 21st, 2013 | 1:18 pm

Raf wrote:

Yup. He’ll be a serviceable 5th starter, I think.

He has good stuff, just need to work on his command.