• WTF-Rod?

Posted by on January 21st, 2013 · Comments (13)

This was in a recent “Bill James Online Mailbag” -

As a Yankee fan (sorry, apologies upfront), I’d like to give the organization and A-Rod the benefit of the doubt on waiting until January to have surgery that, I seem to remember, we all knew he was going to have back in November. I’m assuming that there might have been medical reasons for having to wait? Otherwise…wtf?
    Asked by: rtallia

Answered: 1/18/2013
    I’ll tell you this: it’s a big wtf inside baseball. Obviously there is SOMETHING going on there that we don’t know about.

Pre-hab be damned?

It does seem odd that A-Rod had “relatively minimal cartilage damage in his left hip” and, yet, required “pre-hab” and even the surgery itself.

A-Rod enjoys his time off and getting paid to party (while the rest of his team is playing). Could this whole hip thing be a case of “Bench me in the post-season? Well, then, screw you – I’m taking a spring vacation next year!” payback thing from Alex?

Comments on WTF-Rod?

1. Corey
      January 21st, 2013 | 9:37 am

i doubt it. A-rod wants to break all those records and if he isn’t playing then it isn’t going to happen.

2. January 21st, 2013 | 9:43 am

@ Corey:
      I think once he got busted for PEDs, A-Rod stopped caring about records and the HOF – because he knows that people will always say his numbers are tainted now, albeit correct and/or fair or not. And, the only record he cares about now is being the highest earning baseball player of all time.

3. Evan3457
      January 21st, 2013 | 9:58 am

Without further, you know, actual information, I think the question and reply are a WTF?

4. Evan3457
      January 21st, 2013 | 10:00 am

Or, maybe, the pre-hab time to let the damage and inflammation heal is the reason why the damage, when examined, was minimal.

Or, maybe, since I’m not a doctor, I don’t know WTF I’m talking about.

5. Corey
      January 21st, 2013 | 10:03 am

Steve L. wrote:

A-Rods all about the money man. he gets that money if he breaks the records HOF or not.

January 21st, 2013 | 1:06 pm

Steve L. wrote:

How so?

“Minimal cartilage damage means “they wouldn’t have to do a microfracture (procedure) or anything where they are trying to regenerate areas where the cartilage has worn away,” said Dr. Derek Ochiai, an orthopedic surgeon and hip arthroscopy specialist in Arlington, Va.

“That will mean his rehab has the highest chance of successfully getting back to the level with his hip that he was before his hip started hurting.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/source-a-rod-cartilage-damage-hip-expected-article-1.1242367#ixzz2IdPHfxTO

7. Garcia
      January 21st, 2013 | 2:04 pm

I heard something else, I heard he went this route so he’ll be certain he wouldn’t be ready for the WBC. My sources tell me he didn’t want to make a choice between the D.R and the U.S.A again.

ARod felt that if he were even able to jog, then he’ll feel guilty and would try and play in the WBC.

It was a big WTF in the Dominican Republic, when ARod decided to play for the U.S.A after first deciding on the Dominican Republic.

See, anyone can make shit up.

8. MJ Recanati
      January 22nd, 2013 | 1:55 pm

Steve L. wrote:

A record he set in 2001 and re-established in 2007. He’s no longer motivated by this since he can no longer control what happens now that he’ll never sign another professional contract again.

9. Ricketson
      January 22nd, 2013 | 3:29 pm

Steve L. wrote:

He probably does not have the emotional or intellectual capacity to care about anything more than himself, money, and women… and for that reason why would anyone try to understand his motivations or thinking or public statements, if not a psychiatrist or mental health professional of some kind; similar to Cashman – a “manchild.” Unfortunately, they’ll both be with the organization for a while…

10. MJ Recanati
      January 22nd, 2013 | 4:57 pm

Ricketson wrote:

Way to paint with a broad brush…

January 22nd, 2013 | 5:40 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Pop psychology & Rodriguez goes hand in hand.

12. McMillan
      January 23rd, 2013 | 7:34 am

Raf wrote:

Pop psychology & Rodriguez goes hand in hand.

B.S. & Rodriguez goes hand-in-hand…

January 23rd, 2013 | 5:56 pm

McMillan wrote:

Raf wrote:
      Pop psychology & Rodriguez goes hand in hand.
      B.S. & Rodriguez goes hand-in-hand…

Which speaks to the public’s preoccupation with it.