• Yanks Cashman: I’m Always Looking To Plug Holes

Posted by on January 25th, 2013 · Comments (10)

Brian Cashman speaks! Great stuff via Bryan Hoch -

On looking forward to Spring Training: “I am, especially in this kind of weather. It’s nice to get out there, and now we can actually show you that we do have a team. A lot of people think we don’t.”

On proving those people wrong: “That comes in the course of the season. I have until now and the Trade Deadline to solve all issues, and everybody usually has some area of vulnerability. We obviously have some that we need to shore up. I think the pitching staff’s not one of them at this stage, and we have a lot of quality players we are going to be running out there. So I’ll have some time between Opening Day and May 21 or whatever to continue to look for ways to shore up and improve those areas, such as the bench and right-handed bat for the outfield, that currently stand out.”

On the Yankees being better in 2013: “It’s too early to say whether we’ll be better. It’s hard to be better than a 95-win team anyway, it’s hard to squeeze out an extra win from 95 wins to 96 or 97 or whatever. It’s too early to say. It’s still evolving. We’ve got players who are getting healthy. We’ve just got to have more time to reinforce some areas but also see where we are with Jeter, Mariano and CC — all are expected to be fine, but until they’re out there doing what you’re consistently used to seeing, you’ve got to wait it out.”

On the offseason: “I’m in the marketplace both with free agent and trade, and I’ll stay that way, with available players and have conversations, whether it’s a non-roster invite or actually a Major League acquisition in some form or fashion. I mean, I’m open for it. Clearly, everything that’s taken place so far, either we passed on or they passed on us. We just keep working on it and see where it takes us.”

On feeling comfortable with this roster: “My job is never to feel comfortable. I never do. We had the ’98 world championship team, and I wasn’t comfortable. So I’ve never been comfortable — and that team was 125 wins and 50 losses. So I think it’s best to never feel comfortable.”

So, there you have it! Mr. Cashman said: We obviously have [some area of vulnerability] that we need to shore up. I think the pitching staff’s not one of them at this stage, and we have a lot of quality players we are going to be running out there.

Do you agree with is assessment of the Yankees pitching staff? Personally, I see a lot of risk there due to age and/or mileage. Also, I think the jury is still out on a lot of the Yankees younger pitchers – including Phil Hughes. But, Cash sees it different, as of now…

Comments on Yanks Cashman: I’m Always Looking To Plug Holes

1. Garcia
      January 25th, 2013 | 12:44 pm

This off-season I see the entire team as one big giant eff’ing risk. I don’t feel good about anything with this team. I’m actually going to love seeing the Yanks playing in front of a 1/2 empty stadium. Maybe they’ll rethink their crazy prices.

January 25th, 2013 | 5:30 pm

Cashman really isn’t saying anything here of note. A GM should always be looking for ways to improve their team.

3. LMJ229
      January 25th, 2013 | 11:05 pm

@ Raf:
      Cashman rarely says anything of note, he usually just rambles on.

4. LMJ229
      January 25th, 2013 | 11:16 pm

This team wasn’t good enough to make it to the World Series last year and they did nothing to improve over the winter so I don’t think they’ll be going to the World Series this year. In fact, with the loss of Swisher, A-Rod, Ibanez, Chavez and Soriano you can say this team took a step back. That, coupled with a very improved Blue Jays club and the usual cast of contenders, might just be enough to knock the Yanks out of the playoffs altogether this year. They have enough talent to be competitive though and I believe they will be in the playoff mix deep into September. Hopefully, they’ll log enough W’s to get in.

5. Greg H.
      January 26th, 2013 | 3:09 pm

Garcia wrote:

I’m looking forward to watching the team this season. I’m very interested to see a “veteran” team who is not expected to win go up against the Toronto “kings of the off-season.” I think the Yanks will do better than expected. The Yanks as underdogs always gets my motor running.

LMJ229 wrote:

Last year’s team absolutely was good enough to make it to the World Series. The teams that did not make the playoffs were the teams that weren’t good enough to win the WS. All those that made it were good enough, and (not the best team, but) the team that played the best during the playoffs won. Happens every year.

6. McMillan
      January 28th, 2013 | 7:23 pm

Greg H. wrote:

Nonsense. This team was not good enough to make it to the World Series, much less win a world championship, and did not – setting a postseason record for offensive futility in the process.

7. January 28th, 2013 | 8:16 pm

@ McMillan:
      The other day, I was looking at the composite boxscore for the Yankees in the ALCS. My goodness, it was terrible. Perhaps as bad as a team could possibly be in a post-season series.

January 28th, 2013 | 9:14 pm

McMillan wrote:

Of course they were. A team qualifying for the playoffs by definition is good enough to win a World Championship, especially if they have one of the top records/seeds in the league.

9. MJ Recanati
      January 29th, 2013 | 10:58 am

Raf wrote:

You know that and I know that and Greg H. knows that…but, according to some, if you don’t win a World Series then you weren’t good enough to win a World Series. It doesn’t make sense to me either but, hey, narrow viewpoints are all the rage on baseball message boards.

10. McMillan
      January 29th, 2013 | 6:22 pm

Raf wrote:

A team qualifying for the playoffs is nothing more than that: a team that was good enough to qualify for the playoffs in a given division or league, and year; it is not by definition good enough to win a World Series. To state otherwise is to suggest that it is not possible for a team to qualify for the playoffs and not be good enough to win a World Series, which is ridiculous.
      There have been, and will be, teams that will qualify for the playoffs that are not good enough to win a World Series – the 2012 Yankees are an example of such a team – although few come with a $223 million payroll. And it should have come as a surprise to no one that the team performed as poorly as it did against Detroit last year.