• Michael Kay Signs Multi-Year Extension With YES

Posted by on January 28th, 2013 · Comments (12)

The story.

Shoot me now.

Comments on Michael Kay Signs Multi-Year Extension With YES

1. Corey
      January 28th, 2013 | 5:10 pm

Barring a PED admission, Michael Kay will be there for a long, long time. Contract or not.

He’s the voice of the team..has been for a while now.

2. January 28th, 2013 | 5:35 pm

Yeah, I am torn on Kay.

By every account I have ever seen or heard, when you meet him in person, he’s incredibly nice. That’s a plus.

And, I have forty tons of respect for him in terms of how he has crafted his career path. It’s a true American success story. How many people end up with their dream? He’s done it – and it’s not a very attainable dream at all.

I just wish he wouldn’t bang the same drum and beat the same horse so often when he does his broadcast. It’s like seeing the same stand-up guy do the same routine 162 times over a six month period. And, too often, IMHO, he’s got something scripted in his back pocket because he’s looking for that ever-lasting clip to be his version of “The Giants win the pennant!”

That said, when he’s doing it on the fly, he can be good. “Getcha tokens ready!” was perfect. But, that soliloquy he went into when Jeter broke Gehrig’s hit record…well…ugh!

I do think he’s the perfect foil for O’Neill. I enjoy it when they are doing the game together.

I suppose it could be worse. But, I also suppose it could be better. In any event, he’s here for a while…and will probably be around as long as he doesn’t get into trouble.

3. 77yankees
      January 28th, 2013 | 6:35 pm

@ Steve L.:

Wait, Steve, you mean you don’t enjoy hearing 1930s colloquial terms like “flotsam and jetsam” and “little girl with a curl” recycled over and over?

4. K-V-C
      January 28th, 2013 | 6:39 pm

So how long is the extension and how long is his current contract? Horrible reporting by YES Network.

5. January 28th, 2013 | 8:14 pm

77yankees wrote:

LOL. No, I don’t :-)

6. January 28th, 2013 | 8:15 pm

@ K-V-C:
      That was interesting – no mention of the years. Maybe it’s a lifetime deal? OMG.

January 28th, 2013 | 9:21 pm

@ Steve L.:
      I kinda feel similar to you in that I can appreciate all that he has done, putting his time in, but I wish he could be a little bit better on the mic. Personally, I think the “tokens” bit was contrived as well. I have a hard time believing that Kay has any spontaneity in him.

All in all, it could be worse; it could be Sterling. :)

8. January 28th, 2013 | 11:18 pm

Maybe, someday, they can get a Josh Lewin or Ken Levine type – someone who can speak to baseball history and who also is funny and entertaining.

9. KPOcala
      January 29th, 2013 | 12:58 am

@ Raf:Raf, watch that. They’ll now put the two together ;)

10. MJ Recanati
      January 29th, 2013 | 11:37 am

Steve L. wrote:

He IS incredibly nice. I met him once and definitely got the friendly vibe from him. He’s even nice to his callers on his ESPN Radio show.

Steve L. wrote:

Absolutely agree.

Steve L. wrote:

11. redbug
      January 29th, 2013 | 12:01 pm

@ MJ Recanati: As much as I loved O’Neill the ballplayer, I really dislike O’Neill the broadcaster. And if you think he recycles his jokes/comments overall, I’m surprised you haven’t tired of the Kay-O’Neill dynamic which only involves what O’Neill is eating (and all of the things Kay won’t eat).

Agreed. I don’t like O’Neill in the booth at all. The back and forth between him and Kay is a total bore. 2 major egos who think they are so cute. Ugh.

12. January 29th, 2013 | 12:13 pm

The thing I like about O’Neill is that he reminds me of The Scooter. He’ll talk about anything up there. But, yet, at times, every once in a while, he’ll give you some insight that only a former winning player could impart.