Via ESPN –
A message to the New York Yankees and their fans from Alex Rodriguez: I’m not going anywhere.
“Alex has no plans at all to retire,” one source with close, personal ties to the embattled third baseman told ESPNNewYork.com on Thursday.
Another source, authorized by Rodriguez to speak on his behalf, passed this along: “Alex says he’s working diligently on his rehabilitation and is looking forward to getting back on the field as soon as possible.”
Although neither of those statements mention Rodriguez returning to the Yankees, with whom he has been at odds since last October’s playoffs, he is under contract with the team through 2017 and is owed $114 million, plus a possible $30 million more in incentive bonuses based on reaching career home run milestones.
Since the disclosure this week of the presence of Rodriguez’s name in the records of Anthony Bosch, a “nutritionist” whose Miami-area anti-aging clinic is suspected of supplying human growth hormone and other performance-enhancing drugs to professional athletes, speculation has run rampant that perhaps Rodriguez never would play another game for the Yankees.
One report even went so far as to suggest that Rodriguez might retire from baseball, leaving behind the remaining money on his contract. But the word coming out of Miami, where Rodriguez has been rehabbing since undergoing hip surgery earlier this month, tells a different story.
Both sources paint a picture of a player who, although stung by what he believes is a campaign by the Yankees to rid themselves of his onerous contract, is working hard to return to action sometime after the All-Star break.
When informed of Rodriguez’s comments, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, who had avoided commenting publicly on Rodriguez’s latest incident, responded with one word: “Good.”
It will be very interesting to see the fans reaction the next time Alex steps up to bat at Yankee Stadium.