• Jesus Montero Linked To Bosch

Posted by on February 6th, 2013 · Comments (23)

The story.

Alex Rodriguez, Gio Gonzalez, Bartolo Colon, Melky Cabrera, Nelson Cruz, Yasmani Grandal, Ryan Braun, Francisco Cervelli, Danny Valencia and now Jesus Montero.

Half of guys here once played for the Yankees. Doesn’t Brian Cashman and his team keep track of their players and what they are up to?

Comments on Jesus Montero Linked To Bosch

1. Evan3457
      February 6th, 2013 | 8:02 am

You mean, like assigning a private detective to watch what his players do all season long…all 150-200 players in the organization, each with his own “shadow”?

Be cereal.

2. Garcia
      February 6th, 2013 | 8:43 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Be cereal.

Word! I don’t see how any of this is on Cashman.

This is where you (Steve) lose me with the Cashman criticism. Do you know what your kid does in school every second throughout the day? No parent knows every little thing their kids do when they are not around, so how can you expect Cash to know the activities of a professional adult male? That’s just nuts.

3. MJ Recanati
      February 6th, 2013 | 8:46 am

Steve L. wrote:

As I’ve said countless times, management — and I use that term in the broadest sense possible in order to not only include Cashman but Steinbrenner and the other 29 MLB owners and GM’s — doesn’t care about PED use. The way the system is designed, any positive benefits derived from PED use are jointly banked by the player and the team in terms of good performance and any negative aspects of PED use are borne by the player alone. It’s absurd to think that Cashman should be paying attention to where his players are and what they’re doing in their spare time.

That’s why PED use doesn’t offend me. For as long as the player shares the upside but doesn’t share any of the downside, I am in favor of players using PED’s. They may as well try to get rich while they can.

4. MJ Recanati
      February 6th, 2013 | 8:47 am

Garcia wrote:

This is where you (Steve) lose me with the Cashman criticism.

Bingo.

5. February 6th, 2013 | 8:56 am

FWIW, it doesn’t matter. Sandy Alderson was never taken on the carpet for harboring or turning a blind eye to all his juicers in Oakland. Rather, MLB loved the guy and gave him a job. And, if it turns out that Cashman recruited and/or collected juicers, or that he ignored smoking guns that suggested his guys used, no one will hold his feet to the fire on it.

MJ is right. Baseball and the owners only care about this once the player is snagged. And, before that happens, they are willing to reap the benefits along with the player.

6. redbug
      February 6th, 2013 | 9:16 am

I don’t understand how PEDS doesn’t offend. Players using them have an unfair advantage to those who don’t.

The Arod signing was absurd any way you look at it, but Arod’s use of PED’s most likely contributed to his physical breakdowns. Think the Yanks were right to turn a blind eye?

7. February 6th, 2013 | 9:28 am

Hank really screwed up the A-Rod contract. They should have made him come crawling back and take a paycut. Really, where else was he going? But, the 2007 season with all those HRs scared the Yankees into thinking he was going to hit them for someone else.

It’s a damn shame that they didn’t call his bluff after he opted up.

Seems like Cashman wanted to…but, he didn’t have the stones to tell his boss that he was making a huge mistake. So much for Mr. Autonomy.

8. Garcia
      February 6th, 2013 | 9:49 am

redbug wrote:

How are the Yanks culpable here? It’s not like ARod was getting injected by his cousin right in front of Cash and the Stein brothers. So you’re saying that if they are skeptical, then they shouldn’t sign a player. Well, that will just ensure that the Yankees never field a competitive team ever.

PEDs doesn’t offend me at all, I won’t get all indignant about it and scream “what about the kids” because it’s not of any of these players’ responsibilities to worry about any kids that is not their own. I won’t be bothered by it because it’s a win at all costs mentality. And why is it a win at all costs mentality? Well, follow the money and start there.

I ask people this all the time, if it’s game 7 of the world series and some player named Ima Peduser just hit the homerun to win the world series for your team, in that instant that you are jumping in the air in jubilation time was stopped and someone came and told you: “that guy, Ima Peduser, in three months you’ll find out that the homerun he just hit was just aided by PEDs.” Would you stop celebrating? Would your celebration turn to outrage? Would the world series title be…dare i say it…tainted? Let’s say that was his only hit for all the games in the world series, do you weigh the homerun differently?

In the end, I’ve come to the conclusion that my outrage wouldn’t be there so I’ve come to the decision that I don’t care that much about PEDs because I want to win, I want my team to win, if they are a bunch of coke’d up PED user then it’s up to them to deal with their choices.

When you go to a live performance, not a sporting event, do you care that the person is only able to have THAT much energy because they are doing 10 lines of coke before they go out there?

I don’t worry about these silly things. If there’s testing in place to catch the PED users, then it’s not up to me to worry about any of this. Nor do I care. There’s a system in place to catch these guys.

I constantly go over the posted 55 MPH speed limit, too. But I haven’t had a speeding ticket in years. That’s probably because I go a over between 5 – 8 MPH, but I’m still breaking the law. However, some people are caught going over the limit all the time, but for some reason my insurance company thinks I’m a great driver. Though my gf hates getting in the car with me because she says I drive like an NFL running back, and she gets motion sickness.

The point I’m trying to make is, even with the ones that get caught there are still a bunch of others that are not getting caught. My outrage just is not there, they are not killing anyone, nor are they committing a crime. A user is not a criminal in this country. Otherwise, the DEA would be swarming college campuses across the U.S and arresting just about every college kid on campus.

Let them use, if they get caught they get caught. If they don’t, they get a heap of money thrown on them and hopefully they win the 7th game of the world series for my team. Because guess what, I will continue jumping for joy even after finding out the entire team was on PEDs.

9. MJ Recanati
      February 6th, 2013 | 9:55 am

redbug wrote:

Meh, not my problem. I’m a paying customer that wants to be entertained and wants to see the Yankees win.

10. MJ Recanati
      February 6th, 2013 | 10:01 am

Steve L. wrote:

I think I agree with this. Cashman was on record as being against negotiating against himself and told A-Rod that if he opted out, the Yankees wouldn’t play ball. Hank Steinbrenner was running the show that offseason and wanted A-Rod back. Cashman knew that it was a bad baseball decision but also figured that he wouldn’t be blamed for resigning Rodriguez since Hank made such a big deal about personally taking over the negotiation.

Great political decision by Cashman and one that you can’t fault him for because ultimately the decision to bring Rodriguez back was Steinbrenner’s alone.

11. MJ Recanati
      February 6th, 2013 | 10:07 am

Steve L. wrote:

MJ is right.

MJ Recanati wrote:

I think I agree with [Steve's comment]

You agree with me and I agree with you all in the same thread? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?

12. February 6th, 2013 | 11:05 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      That’s the beauty of baseball – anything is possible! :-)

13. Garcia
      February 6th, 2013 | 11:11 am

Steve L. wrote:

@ MJ Recanati:
      That’s the beauty of baseball – anything is possible!

Steve reaching out to his inner-Sterling.

14. February 6th, 2013 | 12:05 pm

@ Garcia:
      LOL

15. Scout
      February 6th, 2013 | 12:09 pm

Just two months to such Sterling pearls as “You never know, Suzyn.” I can hardly wait. (And, yes, I am being sarcastic.)

16. Evan3457
      February 6th, 2013 | 12:12 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Cashman was on record saying he wouldn’t take A-Rod back if he opted out.

He may have told Hank exactly what you think he should have. But Hank is more like George, and, after a while, and possibly a little debate, Hank may have told Cashman to shove it; that he, Hank, was personally taking charge of the “A-Rod situation”. And that contract is probably why Hal is now the ultimate decision maker.

In the Yankee organization, autonomy is never really very autonomous; certainly wasn’t when George was in charge; still isn’t with Hank and Hal on top of Trost and Levine on top of Cashman.

17. #15
      February 6th, 2013 | 12:20 pm

The players are big boys. They are responsible for their actions. I know for a fact the Yankees talk to, and warn, all of their players about the physical and professional harm of PED’s. But, people do stupid things every day.

It would appear that Balco East was functioning in Miami. If the facts support the smoke, the players involved ought to be delt with harshly, like in a “best interests of baseball” type move, and the players union ought to be shut up and agree to expand the testing plan and deepen the penalties. Baseball should have put the PED issue to bed by now. The main obstacle to that are the players and the union.

18. MJ Recanati
      February 6th, 2013 | 12:22 pm

@ Evan3457:
      Not sure I completely agree with your analysis. Although I do agree that autonomy in the Yankee organization is an ever-changing thing, I also believe that Cashman took a public stand but probably didn’t try to talk Steinbrenner out of the Rodriguez contract because (1) the team was clearly better with Rodriguez in the near-term years of the contract and (2) because, after making a public display of his taking control of the negotiation, Steinbrenner was always going to be the fall guy for the stupid contract they gave Rodriguez.

19. MJ Recanati
      February 6th, 2013 | 12:39 pm

#15 wrote:

Absolutely no precedent for this and it would be perfectly within the union’s rights to protest this as unjustly punitive.

February 6th, 2013 | 6:36 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Because it wasn’t an issue then. Remember, Canseco was on the team at the time.

February 6th, 2013 | 6:44 pm

redbug wrote:

I don’t understand how PEDS doesn’t offend.

They’ve been around in some shape or form for 50-60 years.

February 6th, 2013 | 6:47 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

As evidenced by the Soriano signing.

February 6th, 2013 | 6:48 pm

#15 wrote:

It would be in the best interest of baseball to turn a blind eye to PED use and count their money… Like they were doing before.