• Former NCAA Division I QBs Aim To Be “Next Knuckler”

Posted by on February 10th, 2013 · Comments (6)

Via the Times-Picayune -

Former LSU quarterbacks never die, they just end up in reality shows. Actually, two of them have as Ryan Perrilloux and Josh Booty will compete with three other former Division I quarterbacks in “The Next Knuckler”.

David Greene of Georgia, Doug Flutie of Boston College and Booty’s brother, John David, who played at USC, will vie to see who can learn and throw the best knuckleball and win an invitation to the Arizona Diamondbacks’ spring training camp. The show will premier on MLB Network Feb. 13 at 8 p.m. CT.

The show is the first-ever reality series produced by Major league Baseball and will be hosted by baseball analyst Kevin Millar and former All-Star knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, who pitched for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Boston Red Sox.

Booty played minor league baseball in the Florida Marlins organization straight out of high school before giving it up to play at LSU in 1999-2000. Perrilloux played high school baseball at East St. John.

Hey, it beats outsourcing for the next Dinesh Patel or Rinku Singh. And, yes, I am kidding…

Comments on Former NCAA Division I QBs Aim To Be “Next Knuckler”

February 15th, 2013 | 6:30 pm

Has anyone caught this? I saw part of the first episode. Interesting to see guys struggle with the different mechanics of throwing a baseball much less a knuckleball. Kinda refreshing to see a “reality program” without the manufactured drama.

I doubt any of these guys will stick around after they win the competition, it’s one thing to learn and throw it, an entirely different thing to throw it successfully in game situations, but it’s a nice distraction.

2. Corey
      February 16th, 2013 | 12:32 am

I saw one episode and Doug Flutie got robbed (and voted off the show). He has a freakin nasty knuckleball.

February 16th, 2013 | 11:38 am

Flutie got voted off? I was hoping either he or David Greene (lefty) would make it.

February 16th, 2013 | 11:54 am
    5. Corey
      February 16th, 2013 | 3:36 pm

Raf wrote:

Yep. It was a stupid elimination game. Basically there was a frame with 9 pieces of glass, simulating the strike zone. Each hurler had to break as many panes of glass as they could within 15 pitches. The one with the least amount of broken panes of glass out of the 9 is off the show. Flutie kept throwing the knuckler through the same pane of glass over and over and that caused him to lose as he only had 2 or 3 panes broken.

I honestly wonder what could have been with him had he started throwing it right after his NFL career was over. His knuckler got that nasty.

6. February 16th, 2013 | 5:27 pm

Flutie is 50. No way they were going to let him win this thing. Betcha Ryan Perrilloux ends up winning this thing. Has there ever been an African American knuckleball pitcher in big league history?