• The Centaur Is Now Ponyboy

Posted by on February 13th, 2013 · Comments (13)

Yes, he’s an outsider. Via Joel Sherman -

Alex Rodriguez has been called many bad words, particularly in the aftermath of the latest accusations involving use of illegal performance enhancers.

Cheater. Fraud. Scourge. And more.

But one of the worst labels yet was affixed in deed, not words, yesterday by the Yankees:

Kevin Brown.

As an injured player, A-Rod could have reported yesterday with pitchers and catchers. He could report next week with position players. He could do some of his rehab under the auspices of the team doctors and trainers at George M. Steinbrenner Field.

Instead, Joe Girardi announced Rodriguez would do his rehab in New York, and the initial signs are he will not spend a single day at this seven-week camp.

Both Rodriguez and the Yankees had agreed even before the latest PED furor out of Miami that he was best served doing rehab for his second hip surgery in New York under the care of his surgeon, Bryan Kelly, much as was done following the first hip surgery in 2009, when Rodriguez recovered under the care of surgeon Marc Phillipon in Vail, Colo.

But even one Yankees official agreed it was a beneficial “byproduct” to keep A-Rod away from this camp to avoid the circus and negativity that would swarm around him. It speaks to the growing tension that flows both ways in the Rodriguez-Yankees dynamic that the player prefers not to be here and the Yankees are hardly upset by his absence.

It is reminiscent of 2005 when the dour Brown went on the disabled list with a back problem in late July. Manager Joe Torre essentially implored the front office to remove Brown’s malignant personality from the premises. Brown didn’t want to stay where he felt like an outsider anyway. So the Yankees sent him home for good under the cover that Brown was receiving attention from his “personal doctors.”

Brown was at the end of his contract and career. Rodriguez still has five years left on the most expensive contract in history, and his spokesman, Terry Fahn, told me yesterday, “Alex continues to work diligently on his rehab,” which points to an attempt to try to play again.

However, A-Rod is currently just across the state in Miami working with Kelly’s rehab partner, Pete Draovitch. He is not due to go to New York to intensify workouts under Kelly until late this month or early March.

If the relationship were good between Rodriguez and the team, I strongly believe A-Rod would stop by just to be around the players, coaches and atmosphere. Whatever you think of Rodriguez, he loves the game and the camaraderie of the clubhouse.

But both sides have agreed it is best for Rodriguez to stay segregated from Yankees life. Thus, when it comes to the Yankees, A-Rod is experiencing a Brown-out.

Comments on The Centaur Is Now Ponyboy

1. Garcia
      February 13th, 2013 | 9:47 am

Makes sense to me. I don’t really see a point in having Rodriguez around and forcing teammates to answer questions about him. I think the farther he stays away the better, I guess it’s better to push-out the distraction all the way out to the point where he’s about to return — if he will ever return in 2013.

2. February 13th, 2013 | 9:55 am

Well, if someone want to talk to Alex, they could always send him a note:

3. Garcia
      February 13th, 2013 | 10:29 am

The thing that I find hilarious about the “Miami Balco” PED clinic is that Gio Gonzalez must have an even worse PR person than ARod. Now he’s throwing his father under the bus.

4. February 13th, 2013 | 10:35 am

Didn’t Pettitte do the same – saying that his father scored the PEDs, IIRC?

5. Garcia
      February 13th, 2013 | 10:46 am

Steve L. wrote:

Didn’t Pettitte do the same – saying that his father scored the PEDs, IIRC?

Well Pettitte said his father was the facilitator of PEDs, so he was getting PEDs for his son. I don’t think he was throwing his father under the bus in that instance, just describing how he got his hands on them.

Gio is saying that it was his father that was visiting the clinic — i also love that he says his father was a “legitimate patient”. I think both are saying different things. Gio is trying to obfuscate the truth, Andy was just coming clean.

6. MJ Recanati
      February 13th, 2013 | 11:04 am

Garcia wrote:

Andy was just coming clean.

I love Andy as much as anyone — at least as much as his mom and dad do — but that’s just nonsense. Andy didn’t come clean about his use of HGH any more than Rodriguez came clean. I’m supposed to believe that Pettitte only used it a few times in order to accelerate the healing process in 2003 or 2004 and then never revisited something that obviously worked well enough for him to have justified using it in the first place?

Andy gets a pass because the media finds him to be likeable but, once again, we see how the press (and baseball) deal with the same subject in different ways.

7. MJ Recanati
      February 13th, 2013 | 11:06 am

Garcia wrote:

Rodriguez’s teammates will have to answer questions about him whether he’s in Tampa or not. Haven’t you figured out yet that, for the media in New York, it’s A-Rod 24/7/365? Whether he’s here, there, or in Timbuktu, people are fixated on him because they know an A-Rod story is low-hanging fruit.

It’s why the media deserves no respect. They’re not smart or motivated enough to write about something interesting. Instead, they pick at the same scab over and over, always hoping to make it bleed anew.

8. Garcia
      February 13th, 2013 | 11:15 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

It’s why the media deserves no respect.

I don’t really share this thought. I love the media, and I break them down this way: some are good, some are bad, and some are mediocre. It’s the same breakdown in all walks of life.

ARod has brought this all on himself, Jeter is bigger than ARod in NYC but you don’t see anywhere near as much stuff written about him. He tries to stay out of the limelight as much as possible. Yes, you do see some stuff about him but he doesn’t put himself out there like ARod. So I have a real hard problem solely blaming the media. And I don’t think all are a bad either.

9. Evan3457
      February 13th, 2013 | 11:30 am

It’s just me, but I find this subject to be unimportant and uninteresting. Of course they’re going to keep Alex away from the media. It’s stupid to expect anything else.

So let’s pile on for no good reason?

Pfffffbbbbbtttt.

He’s a pariah? If/when he comes back in July/August, we’ll see if he’s still a pariah if he plays reasonably well.

10. MJ Recanati
      February 13th, 2013 | 1:11 pm

Garcia wrote:

I break them down this way: some are good, some are bad, and some are mediocre. It’s the same breakdown in all walks of life.I wouldn’t insult the types like Sweeney Murti who do a damn good job with their reporting by saying they deserve no respect.

That’s a fair statement. Not all of them are terrible. Most of them are, in my opinion. But you’re right that not all of them are.

The Post and Daily News employ malevolent simpletons and I’m comfortable painting them with my broad brush.

Garcia wrote:

You’re entitled to your opinion but this statement is in no way factual.

11. redbug
      February 13th, 2013 | 1:43 pm

@ MJ Recanati: ” Andy didn’t come clean about his use of HGH any more than Rodriguez came clean”

I believe Andy. What evidence do you have that he lied?

12. MJ Recanati
      February 13th, 2013 | 2:33 pm

redbug wrote:

I believe Andy. What evidence do you have that he lied?

You’re entitled to believe Andy if you like. I just think, at this point, a healthy dose of skepticism is necessary. It seems implausible to me that someone would use PED’s only once or twice. He admitted to exactly what limited information they had and wasn’t pushed to admit anything further, just like A-Rod and everyone else that’s been caught using.

February 13th, 2013 | 6:58 pm

Who knows what could be uncovered if other players had the same level of attention that Rodriguez has :)