• Cano: I’m Clean

Posted by on February 19th, 2013 · Comments (13)

Via George King -

Robinson Cano denies ever using performance enhancing drugs or visiting Biogenesis, the shuttered anti-aging clinic in Miami which close friends Alex Rodriguez and Melky Cabrera have been linked to.

Asked at the end of yesterday’s press conference at George M. Steinbrenner Field if he ever used PEDs or was in any way linked to Biogenesis, Cano skipped the first part and answered the second.

“The first time I heard [about Biogenesis] was when the thing came out,’’ Cano said of the Miami New Times story that reported Rodriguez and Cabrera were linked to the clinic MLB is investigating.

Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun have admitted visiting Biogenesis but say they didn’t purchase PEDs.

Since Cano didn’t directly answer the first part of the question three reporters waited outside the facility and followed him toward the players’ parking lot.

Asked if he ever used PEDs or if he ever visited Biogenesis, Cano answered “No’’ to each question.

Since Cano is close to Rodriguez and Cabrera, some believe he is guilty by association. And last summer a North Carolina television station incorrectly reported Cano had tested positive for PEDs. The reporter later apologized.

“It doesn’t matter who you are hanging out [with],’’ Cano said. “Everybody has their personal lives and they do what they want. Like I say, through the good and the bad times they are always going to be my friends.’’

Until Rodriguez speaks about the issue, Derek Jeter isn’t going to comment. Cano also declined to talk about Rodriguez and Cabrera and any relationship they had with Biogenesis.

“I don’t have any reaction and I will say that it is a personal matter and let them handle it,’’ Cano said.

I still wonder about Cano. He’s doing things at the major league level that he never did in the minors. I recall seeing him a couple/few years ago in a post-game interview on YES, at Yankee Stadium, where it was evident that Robby had bacne that would make Mike Piazza blush. And, of course, there’s the whole issue of Cano being A-Rod’s protégé.

I’m not saying that I know Cano is using PEDs. But, it would far from shock me if it was ever disclosed that he was taking something.

Comments on Cano: I’m Clean

1. Evan3457
      February 19th, 2013 | 9:03 am

He’s doing things at the major league level that he never did in the minors.

Evidence not strong enough. Here’s Ryne Sandberg’s minor league record: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=sandbe001ryn

and Bernie Williams’:

…to show just two examples of players we believe became stars without using PEDs.

2. February 19th, 2013 | 9:06 am

@ Evan3457:
      Ryno’s power could have been park assisted. And, I am not 100% Bernie was clean either. Bernie, IIRC, was a self-confessed creatine user back in the day. And, if he used that, well, maybe…

3. Garcia
      February 19th, 2013 | 9:51 am

@ Steve L.:
      This is where the whole PED thing frustrates me, the speculation. It’s one thing to say you won’t be surprised, but to start pointing to stuff like bacne a few years later after you first saw see it is kind of cheap.

4. February 19th, 2013 | 10:34 am

Garcia wrote:

This is where the whole PED thing frustrates me, the speculation.

Is it fair? Maybe not. But, it was the lack of speculation back in 1998, and thereabouts, where baseball, fans and the media, stuck their head in the sand as McGwire was hitting balls close to 600 feet and Sosa was jacking 60 homers a year like it was easy, that led to the widespread use of PEDs. So, maybe it’s better to speculate than it is to ignore? Just maybe…

5. MJ Recanati
      February 19th, 2013 | 10:55 am

Steve L. wrote:

, maybe it’s better to speculate than it is to ignore?

I’m fine with that approach. In fact, I take it to its logical conclusion: I simply assume that everyone in baseball is using PED’s because they’re accessible, the incentives to use are very tangible and MLB management is less concerned with stopping PED use than they are about the face-saving enforcement aspect once someone has been caught.

Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not. But that’s why I’m not surprised that Ryan Braun, Gio Gonzalez, Melky Cabrera, Nelson Cruz, A-Rod and others are users. Frankly, I think Jeter’s a user too.

Doesn’t bother me at all that people use PED’s. God bless them for trying their hardest to keep me entertained.

6. K-V-C
      February 19th, 2013 | 12:00 pm

Yet another reason to trade this guy away now.

Can organizations put a PED clause in their contracts that would void a contract if a player tests positive? (If the Yanks had this they could dump A-roid.)

7. MJ Recanati
      February 19th, 2013 | 12:48 pm

K-V-C wrote:

Teams can, but none will. The reason is because as long as players aren’t getting caught, teams are more than happy to be the beneficiary of any surplus value that may come with PED use.

8. Garcia
      February 19th, 2013 | 5:13 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

K-V-C wrote:

Teams can do that if they’d like, but the contract will never be signed because it’s an issue that’s collectively bargained. The player’s due process is defined by what has been collectively bargained. No single player’s contract will ever be different, with respect to PEDs, than the terms agreed upon by the player’s union and MLB owners.

February 19th, 2013 | 5:58 pm

Steve L. wrote:

No, Lenny Dykstra came out and said he was using *ahem* “vitamins.” A reporter found a bottle of Andro in McGwire’s locker. Remember Sosa doing a press conference holding a bottle of Flintstone vitamins?

Of course there was the fact that steroids have been around baseball in one form or another for 30-40 years. Maybe even longer.

February 19th, 2013 | 6:01 pm

Garcia wrote:

This is where the whole PED thing frustrates me, the speculation.

What gets me is the overfocus on HR’s and the “steroids always work except in cases when they don’t” angles. It’s like people pick and choose when they want to be outraged instead of looking at the big picture.

February 19th, 2013 | 6:04 pm

K-V-C wrote:

I’m sure they can. But why stop there? Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter while high on LSD. Who knows how many players played while on greenies. Or the number of players with cocaine or alcohol in their system.

12. Evan3457
      February 19th, 2013 | 6:31 pm

Raf wrote:

K-V-C wrote:

Guys like Babe Ruth, Jimmy Foxx and Hack Wilson used alcohol and played with it in their system at a time when “the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

13. BOHAN
      February 19th, 2013 | 7:29 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I’ve used creatine before and never used a PED… shouldnt assume like that… You know what the say when you assume.