• David Price: Yanks Hair & Beard Poilcy Too “Old-School”

Posted by on February 20th, 2013 · Comments (13)

Via Jon Paul Morosi -

Taking note of his beard, I told [David] Price he’d have to shave if the Yankees traded for him.

“I wouldn’t stay there very long then,” he responded. “I wouldn’t sign a long-term deal there. Those rules, that’s old-school baseball. I was born in ’85. That’s not for me. That’s not something I want to be a part of.”

Is it time for the Yankees to do away with their policy on not allowing long hair and/or beards? Personally, I like it. But, maybe I am in the minority?

Comments on David Price: Yanks Hair & Beard Poilcy Too “Old-School”

February 20th, 2013 | 1:24 pm

The policy doesn’t bother me any, but it’s sobering to me to see Price was born in 1985

February 20th, 2013 | 1:27 pm

That said, if the Yanks came calling, offering CC money, I’m sure he’d come to an agreement about facial hair :P

3. Corey
      February 20th, 2013 | 1:35 pm

Raf wrote:

He’s still older than me :)

4. MJ Recanati
      February 20th, 2013 | 2:12 pm

Raf wrote:

Yep, which is why Price needs to think before he speaks. Not that the Yankees will be able to bid for his services but, if they could, he’d look like a shmuch for saying “I’d never go to the Yankees” and then taking the money.

As for the policy itself, while it doesn’t bother me — and I say this as someone that has had a full beard since 2002 and a goatee before that since 1996 — it is pretty dumb at this point. Being clean shaven is overrated.

5. February 20th, 2013 | 2:29 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I hear you. But, the thought of someone playing for the Yankees and having dreds down to his butt, like Manny when he was in Boston & LA, or, having a caveman look like Jason Werth, Johnny Damon or Josh Reddick have shown, bothers me.

There’s something to be said about having a professional appearance. And, since the Yankees are all about “brand,” I suspect they feel the same way.

6. MJ Recanati
      February 20th, 2013 | 2:40 pm

Steve L. wrote:

[T]he thought of someone playing for the Yankees and having dreds down to his butt, like Manny when he was in Boston & LA, or, having a caveman look like Jason Werth, Johnny Damon or Josh Reddick have shown, bothers me.

I can understand that. It’s a personal preference and I respect that some people don’t care for those types of looks.

Steve L. wrote:

There’s something to be said about having a professional appearance.

That being said, “professional” is as it relates to being a professional baseball player. I find nothing “unprofessional” about having long hair or a beard given that the same workplace environment accepts managers sneaking cigarettes in the tunnel leading out of the dugout (Jim Leyland), countless players chewing tobacco and spitting the juice all over the place, or everyone scratching their balls and adjusting their cups all the time. What may constitute “professional appearance” at a law firm or on Wall Street isn’t the same as it might be at the ballpark or in construction, etc. For that reason, I do find the policy (or the argument in favor of it) somewhat peculiar.

7. BOHAN
      February 20th, 2013 | 4:31 pm

I’ve had a beard/goatee at some point for the past 10 years and 95% of the time I was in college I had some kind of facial hair and now I’m clean shaven majority of the time but I like the Yankee facial hair policy…. And they can always grow mustache. Mustaches are hysterical.

8. MJ Recanati
      February 20th, 2013 | 5:11 pm

BOHAN wrote:

Mustaches are hysterical.

They really are quite funny, I agree.

9. Evan3457
      February 20th, 2013 | 5:37 pm

Not to mention earrings and tatooes and body piercings.

10. #15
      February 20th, 2013 | 6:24 pm

Steve L. wrote:

MJ Recanati wrote:

Hence the need to draw the line somewhere. I really would prefer if the Yankees never took on the look of the Botox Idiot Squad.

I think the bigger point is what it says about Price. It’s not something worthy of commentary. Thurman and Donnie had m-chops (no those are really funny), Wells had a goatee, Goose, Clemens always had heavy scruff, even A-Rod and Andy aren’t exactly clean shaven every day. That said, part of being part of a team is wearing the same uniform and following the org’s standards. I’d also suggest his facial hair isn’t worth 2 million a year to him if it gets to that.

11. KPOcala
      February 20th, 2013 | 7:48 pm

Hair was a “statement” and an issue 40-45 years ago. Let them grow what the hell they want. I mean, if anything could look sillier than Oscar Gambles ‘fro under his helmet, let me know….And I’m all about “old school”, but enough already.

12. 77yankees
      February 20th, 2013 | 10:53 pm

All about moderation. Don’t mind players with beards as long as he doesn’t show up like Brett Keisel (Google Image him if you don’t know). Don’t mind players wearing an earring stud or a necklace as long as they don’t show up like Angelina Jolie at the Academy Awards wearing $4M worth of jewelry. And so on and so on….

13. February 21st, 2013 | 6:43 am

77yankees wrote:

I can live with this approach.