• Dan Duquette

    Posted by on February 26th, 2013 · Comments (8)

    Why was this guy out of baseball from 2003 to 2011?  Man, somebody missed the boat, didn’t they?

    Comments on Dan Duquette

    1. MJ Recanati
      February 26th, 2013 | 12:43 pm

      How do you figure someone missed the boat?

    2. February 26th, 2013 | 1:25 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      How do you figure someone missed the boat?

      All you have to do is read his Wiki page and see that he did a very good job with the Expos and Red Sox. And, we know what the O’s did last year. Clearly, he’s getting a raw deal for letting Clemens go in Boston. The guy has a solid baseball front office resume. Seems wrong that he was out of work for so long. That’s where someone missed to boat, not hiring him during all that time.

    3. Raf
      February 26th, 2013 | 1:39 pm

      According to his Wiki page, he had other interests that kept him busy.

    4. MJ Recanati
      February 26th, 2013 | 3:23 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      And, we know what the O’s did last year.

      Funny, when the Yankees won a then-record 114 regular season games, won the World Series, finished the 1998 season with a total of 125 wins (against only 50 losses), and consummated some notable trades along the way, it wasn’t Brian Cashman’s team but Bob Watson’s.

      But in 2012, when Duquette takes over the GM’s role for the Orioles and his team qualifies for the playoffs for the first time, it’s Dan Duquette.

      Once again, a great example of moving goalposts. Credit goes to the guy manning the GM’s job at the time or it doesn’t. Make up your mind.

    5. February 26th, 2013 | 4:03 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Funny, when the Yankees won a then-record 114 regular season games, won the World Series, finished the 1998 season with a total of 125 wins (against only 50 losses), and consummated some notable trades along the way, it wasn’t Brian Cashman’s team but Bob Watson’s.

      But in 2012, when Duquette takes over the GM’s role for the Orioles and his team qualifies for the playoffs for the first time, it’s Dan Duquette.

      Context, my friend, context.

      Cashman played the same hand that Watson and Stick dealt for him. Duquette brought in many of the players that had a good impact for the O’s last year.

    6. MJ Recanati
      February 26th, 2013 | 5:22 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Duquette brought in many of the players that had a good impact for the O’s last year.

      Such as? Every position player that registered at least one win above replacement was already on the roster in 2011.

      Their bullpen was a strength last year and we can give Duquette credit for that in 2012. Fact of the matter is, relievers are unpredictable from year to year so, when coupled with Baltimore’s unsustainable record in one run and extra inning games last year, will it be Duquette’s fault in 2013 if the Orioles finish in last?

    7. Raf
      February 26th, 2013 | 7:00 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Context, my friend, context.

      Oh, NOW, you want to use context… :D

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Such as? Every position player that registered at least one win above replacement was already on the roster in 2011.

      *deflecting wisecrack about payroll goes here*

      ;)

    8. March 18th, 2013 | 9:16 am

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.