• The Bronx Is Burning?

Posted by on February 27th, 2013 · Comments (10)

It really is open season on the Yankees these days…

Via J.R. Gamble

The new, more fiscally responsible Yankee approach is sure to hit Yankee fans like the fire at Happy Land, when it sinks in on Opening Day and everyone’s scrambling to find information on the less-than-stellar names littering the Yankees lineup card.

The fans aren’t the only disgruntled party heading into this Yankee season. A source close to the Yankees told the Shadow League that the Yankees are tiring of Granderson’s feast-or-famine hitting and would trade him for the right deal. Also, if Robinson Cano is truly the Yankees’ future, the source says, then the Steinbrenners aren’t doing a good job with making him feel wanted. And unless the Yankees offer him some mega-deal before he hits free agency at season’s end, there is a possibility that Cano could bounce to a younger, fresher team like the Washington Nationals—a legit rumor confirmed by ESPN’s Buster Olney.

This year is critical for the Yankees and the future of the franchise. It’s been a great run for the old legendary gang of Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte (and Posada who retired before last season), but the changing face of baseball is turning towards new MLB ambassadors like Price.

You can’t stay fresh forever, but this much is clear: the old school, old-timer Yankees need to get their cool back.

The Granderson thing is interesting. Someone mentioned to me recently that the Yankees looked to move him just about everyday this off-season with no luck. Let’s see how he does on the free agent market after this season. He may be shocked to see he cannot get a deal like Swisher got from the Indians.

Comments on The Bronx Is Burning?

1. K-V-C
      February 27th, 2013 | 9:27 am

George has passed on, and Yankee fans have to deal with that. This isn’t his Yankees anymore. The Yanks need to get rid of the world series win or the year is a failure mentality.

The Steinbrenners have broken their policy on waiting until a player reaches Free Agency before talking to him. That tells me they want Cano (I’d trade him)

I like the idea of a more fiscally responsible Yankee organization. They need to stop the 5+ year contracts, and contracts with opt-outs and stop paying guys who are OLD.

2. MJ Recanati
      February 27th, 2013 | 12:58 pm

K-V-C wrote:

I don’t think the Yankees have that mentality. I’d posit that the media and a segment of the fans have hung onto that absurdity but that, as George Steinbrenner ceded day-to-day control of the team to others, this mentality went away because it was unrealistic from the very start.

K-V-C wrote:

That tells me they want Cano (I’d trade him)

I’d trade him too.

K-V-C wrote:

They need to stop the 5+ year contracts

There’s nothing wrong with contracts that last longer than five years. The issue is simply being more judicious about who they give those contracts out to.

3. February 27th, 2013 | 1:13 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Who should be more judicious? The GM?

February 27th, 2013 | 2:09 pm

Having lost family and almost my Dad in the Happy Land fire, I would hope not…

5. MJ Recanati
      February 27th, 2013 | 2:09 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Who should be more judicious? The GM?

Whoever is responsible should be more judicious. The worst long-term deal on our books is Hank Steinbrenner’s fault. The other two long-term deals on the books are performing at a satisfactory level and portend fewer long term risks than Rodriguez’s contract did at the time it was signed.

6. MJ Recanati
      February 27th, 2013 | 2:11 pm

Raf wrote:

Having lost family and almost my Dad in the Happy Land fire, I would hope not…

Whoa, I’m sorry to hear that.

February 27th, 2013 | 2:26 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Thanks. Still surreal after all these years. He was there that night, but left early.

8. MJ Recanati
      February 27th, 2013 | 2:58 pm

Raf wrote:

He was there that night, but left early.

Surreal. Lucky that he did.

9. Greg H.
      February 27th, 2013 | 5:38 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I’d trade him too.

I’d trade him as well – but it would need to be a pretty favorable situation to get the right return for him.

10. MJ Recanati
      February 28th, 2013 | 8:48 am

Greg H. wrote:

Yep. An 11 week rental of CC Sabathia by the Brewers got the Indians one singular (flawed) prospect in Matt LaPorta. It’s tough to compare a starter to a second baseman but I think the Yanks wouldn’t get much more than one MLB-ready prospect in return if they trade Cano in July.

And having said that, there is less than a 5% chance that the Yankees trade Cano even if they’re out of the playoff race heading into August. The Yankees aren’t sellers.