• Argh….

    Posted by on March 8th, 2013 · Comments (10)

    Put a stake in the ground. Right here and now.

    Look at the Pirates 40-man roster and the Yankees 40-man roster. Then, look at the Pirates best prospects and the Yankees best prospects.

    Who has the better team this season? Who will be the better team next season? How about five years from now, which team will be better?

    The Yankees have been great for the last 20 years. And, the Pirates have been terrible for the last 20 years.

    But, here and now, the Pirates have a lot more going for them, today and in the near future, than the Yankees do, no?

    Comments on Argh….

    1. Evan3457
      March 8th, 2013 | 5:32 pm

      Well, the Pirates best prospects were the #1 and #2 picks in two successive drafts. You can have that for the Yankees if you’re willing to have them finish with the worst record in baseball for two straight years. The Pirates lower ranked prospects don’t appear to be much, if any, more valuable than the Yankees’ best prospects.

      So, if he Cashman is really driving the team into the ground, then all is going according to what appears to be your master plan, is it not?

      As for the 40-man rosters…if everyone’s healthy, the Yankees’ team is better than the Pirates’ team. If the Yanks have all the injuries they have now, then the Pirates are better.

    2. MJ Recanati
      March 8th, 2013 | 5:37 pm

      @ Evan3457:
      Yep. Context is always helpful but not always provided around here…

    3. Greg H.
      March 8th, 2013 | 7:09 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      So, if he Cashman is really driving the team into the ground, then all is going according to what appears to be your master plan, is it not?

      Perfect.

    4. OldYanksFan
      March 8th, 2013 | 9:16 pm

      And your point is?
      TB had a terrible team for over a decade.
      Now they have a very good team and a very good farm.
      Sutprised?
      Is you point that bad teams over the last decade should be bad forever?
      Is you point that the Yankees, a PS team 15 of 16 years, should be a PS team 15 of 16 years, forever.
      Just what is your point Steve?

    5. March 9th, 2013 | 8:28 am

      OldYanksFan wrote:

      Just what is your point Steve?

      That: Who would have thought that the Pirates have more potential and promise today, and in the near future, than the Yankees, all things considered.

    6. Raf
      March 9th, 2013 | 8:45 am

      Steve L. wrote:

      That: Who would have thought that the Pirates have more potential and promise today, and in the near future, than the Yankees, all things considered.

      Let them have a winning season first before we start crowing.

    7. MJ Recanati
      March 9th, 2013 | 8:56 am

      Steve L. wrote:

      Who would have thought that the Pirates have more potential and promise today, and in the near future, than the Yankees, all things considered.

      Wouldn’t it be a rational conclusion to come to, that a team with all of those high draft picks would eventually find a good enough group of young players to finally stop sucking?

      And, even then, we have no idea if the Pirates will actually stop sucking. Cole and Taillon still need to come up to the majors and front the rotation.

      ********

      I’m getting the sense that your lament comes from a place of not knowing how to cope with the reality that baseball’s desire for parity is coming true and that you’re not accustomed to dealing with the fact that the Yankees’ advantages are shrinking due to systemic effects (but which you ascribe, no doubt, to Cashman’s incompetence).

      Your worry is fascinating to me, Steve. For the entirety of the time that the Yankees had those advantages, it offended you that we were outspending our competition and using our advantages to their maximum capacity. Now that those advantages are going away, you’re offended that others are catching up. You can’t have it both ways.

      Baseball is changing as a result of the new CBA and as a result of found money in markets that weren’t previously being compensated for selling their product. The YES Network/NESN deals aren’t even the best TV deals in baseball any longer. Texas, Anaheim and the Dodgers all have far more valuable media rights contracts (although they don’t own their own networks as we and the Red Sox do). The fact that more teams are flush with cash, when combined with the effects of the CBA (the punitive luxury tax rate, the cap on draft spending) means that all the money is being pumped back to teams’ major league rosters.

      All of this to say that just because the Pirates may finally have a future doesn’t mean that the Yankees do not. The Yankees can and will compete, it just may mean that 17 consecutive years of winning baseball is unsustainable for them and for their competitors.

    8. Greg H.
      March 9th, 2013 | 12:12 pm

      Actually the fact that the Pirates sucked for as long as they did and were never able to take advantage of the many early picks they’ve had is rather amazing. Tampa turned it around in much less time.
      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Texas, Anaheim and the Dodgers all have far more valuable media rights contracts

      And along with the Phillies they are busy proving that spending money does not a successful season make – as we’ve found out the hard way in the leaner Steinbrenner years. It just makes spoiled fans rant louder. Texas, and both LA teams spent a lot of money last year and had one post season game to show for it collectively. The Angels won the offseason and missed the postseason. This year it will be fascinating to watch these three – especially the Dodgers – do it again.

    9. Greg H.
      March 9th, 2013 | 12:13 pm

      Oh, and don’t let me forget the Blue Jays. I’ll believe it when I see them in the playoffs.

    10. MJ Recanati
      March 9th, 2013 | 1:45 pm

      Greg H. wrote:

      [S]pending money does not a successful season make…It just makes spoiled fans rant louder.

      Honestly, this is such an awesome quote. Completely true.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.