• Will Age, Ankle & A-Rod Situation Be The Push To Move Jeter To Third In 2013?

Posted by on March 25th, 2013 · Comments (8)

Anyone else wondering if the Yankees are considering the notion of asking Derek Jeter to play third base this season?

Comments on Will Age, Ankle & A-Rod Situation Be The Push To Move Jeter To Third In 2013?

1. March 25th, 2013 | 2:02 pm

The Jeter situation is a developing story. Meredith Marakovits reported yesterday that Jeter wasn’t close to 100%. We have seen no evidence to suggest he will be ready by April 6 or for that matter May 6. I think at this point the best direction to head in is to assume he will play short when he returns.

2. March 25th, 2013 | 2:44 pm

Jeter has said, more than once, that the ankle is now 100% healed, bone-wise, and this issue now is soreness around it. I assume it was made worse when he played in BTB games for the first time. This could be VERY lingering. And, if so, why not play him at a position (3B) where he doesn’t have to move as much as a SS?

3. G.I. Joey
      March 25th, 2013 | 2:53 pm

No one in the organization wants to be the person to tell Jeter that it’s time to move over to 3B, so therefore it probably will never happen.

4. March 25th, 2013 | 3:01 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

You are probably correct. But, someone needs to sack up at some point and say it.

5. redbug
      March 25th, 2013 | 6:35 pm

I think Jeter will be the 1st to say/do whatever is best for the team.

6. Ricketson
      March 25th, 2013 | 6:42 pm

Jeter will be a short as long as he plays the infield for this team; I don’t think you’ll ever see 3b as an everyday position for him.

7. Mr. October
      March 25th, 2013 | 6:51 pm

Ricketson wrote:

I don’t think you’ll ever see 3b as an everyday position for him.

Agreed.

8. 77yankees
      March 25th, 2013 | 10:32 pm

Not happening. Look at what happened in Baltimore when Davey Johnson tried to bump Ripken over to 3rd to play Manny Alexander at SS in ’96.