• MLB Extra Innings

Posted by on April 3rd, 2013 · Comments (12)

I am digging the free preview this week.  But, is it worth getting?  What is it, like a dollar a day, if you get the full season?  Anyone have any experience with it?

Comments on MLB Extra Innings

1. MJ Recanati
      April 3rd, 2013 | 3:30 pm

I’ve had it when I lived out of NY and wanted to watch the Yanks on demand. Living in this area, however, I don’t see a real reason to buy the MLB package since we get all 162 NYY (and NYM) games which means we get to see every team if we want to.

2. April 3rd, 2013 | 3:35 pm

My issue is that I wonder if I would watch it much between:

1. The Yankees being on all the time.

2. The fact that I don’t get to watch much TV as it is, since I am usually busy and my kids usually want to watch their shows on the big TV.

3. Evenings are usually spent watching TV with my wife – since that’s the only time we have to ourselves. And, she’s not going to sit there and watch the Astros play the Royals with me, if it happens to be a day where the Yankees are off.

But, it would nice to have the option to watch any game…

Yet, we’re on a budget and I’m not sure if this then makes sense…

April 3rd, 2013 | 4:31 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Given that criteria, you’re probably better off not getting MLB Extra Innings, and settling for highlights on MLBN.

Or maybe springing for the web service, and having it on in the background? But I don’t see that going well during tv time with the Mrs either, and doesn’t serve you unless you’re puttering around the house. I’d imagine you’re around the computer enough during working hours as is.

4. April 3rd, 2013 | 7:30 pm

Raf wrote:

Or maybe springing for the web service, and having it on in the background?

I am so not Mr. Tech. Funny, I know, since I have been writing this blog since 2005. Also, I spend so much time on the PC for work, that I hate being on it during “my own time.”

5. 77yankees
      April 3rd, 2013 | 9:11 pm

I’ve had it going three years strong now. It’s nice to have a game on anytime it seems, especially when the Yanks are not on, rainouts, late evenings, etc. As a fantasy baseball player, it’s a big plus, and it sometimes pays for itself.

Usually, they play the home team’s feed, though in some instances they’ll play both broadcasts of home and away. Listening to some of the announcers is comical in itself. Some of them make Sterling sound good by comparison with their constant home team references as “we” and biased homerism.

And you do get 70 games of Vin Scully, though he will befuddle you when he starts a sentence with “We told you earlier…..” even though Vin does the games by himself. :-)

6. rsr
      April 3rd, 2013 | 9:34 pm

If you’re a fan of baseball in general and have the time it’s an amazing deal. Not sure what package 77yankees has, but I get both home and away, not only video, but radio. You get game recaps just a little while after the game is over in case you missed it. You can watch the entire game, or just every play where something happened (out, hit, etc).

You get to watch a growing library of older ‘classic’ games. You can also watch the games on your ipad or smart phone. And you get the 20 dollar mlb app for free, which brings the price down to about 100.00 for the season. If I had this when I was 11 I would have flunked out of grade school. Pretty amazing.

7. April 3rd, 2013 | 10:02 pm

I have it via the internet version (at least $50 cheaper than getting it through your cable company, I think.) By using a Roku box (very simple to set up), I can watch everything on HDTV on my television. I would recommend MLB Extra Innings for several reasons: with the internet version, you can refer back to every game of the season and rewatch key things, it is easy to find what you want to see on particular games (you can jump to a particular half-inning), and you can watch big events in baseball when you want to (I watched several no-hitters that way.) I am very happy with it.

8. April 3rd, 2013 | 10:59 pm

@ 77yankees:
      @ lisaswan:
      Thanks

9. April 3rd, 2013 | 11:04 pm

rsr wrote:

You get to watch a growing library of older ‘classic’ games.

I did not know that. Thanks

April 4th, 2013 | 1:56 pm

rsr wrote:

You get to watch a growing library of older ‘classic’ games.

I had totally forgotten about that. That would be awesome.

11. ez569x
      April 4th, 2013 | 9:25 pm

I was in the same position as you were with Extra Innings. The looks the Mrs. was giving me when I took over the television convinced me to go with MLB.TV, the basic version. You don’t get to choose which feed you want, though. I upgraded to the premium which does give you the choice as well as other features. It’s $150/year; less than EI and there’s lot’s of versatility by not being tied to the cable box. Also, you can access your account through MLB At-Bat on you IPhone.

12. April 4th, 2013 | 11:02 pm

ez569x wrote:

Also, you can access your account through MLB At-Bat on you IPhone.

LOL. But, I’m the last person in America who still doesn’t have a smart phone.