• Top 12 All-Time Baseball Movies

Posted by on April 16th, 2013 · Comments (18)

Everyone seems to be sharing their “favs” list. So, here’s mine – with the disclaimer that I have not seen “42″ yet:

1. The Natural
    2. Eight Men Out
    3. Field Of Dreams
    4. Major League
    5. Cobb
    6. The Sandlot
    7. Bull Durham
    8. Fever Pitch
    9. A League Of Their Own
    10. Pride Of The Yankees
    11. Soul Of The Game
    12. For Love Of The Game

Honorable Mention: The Bad News Bears, Stealing Home, 61*, Sugar

That’s my list. What’s yours?

Comments on Top 12 All-Time Baseball Movies

1. G.I. Joey
      April 16th, 2013 | 5:09 pm

Fever Pitch over The Bad News Bears?!? The Bad News Bears is a classic!

2. OldYanksFan
      April 16th, 2013 | 5:26 pm

‘A League of their Own’ gets so little respect.
      Aside from being a true story, and at the end, showing 70+ year old women playing better then Yankees on Old Timers Game, it had the greatest non-fiction line ever in a sports move.

Are you crying?
      Are you CRYING?
      There’s no crying in Baseball…
      THERE’s NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!

Doris Murphy: Where’d you get that dress? It don’t fit you, Mae, it’s too tight.
      Mae Mordabito: I don’t plan on wearing it that long.
      Doris Murphy: Ohh! I don’t know why you get dressed at all.

Ernie Capadino: I’m Ernie Capadino. I’m a baseball scout. I saw you playing today. Not bad, not bad. You ever heard of Walter Harvey, makes Harvey bars — you know, the candy?
      Dottie Hinson: Yeah. We feed them to the cows when they’re constipated.

Jimmy Dugan (to the Ump): Did anyone ever tell you, you look like a penis with a little hat on?

Umpire: Listen that might have been a ball yesterday, it might have been a ball last week, but this is today and I’m calling it a strike.

Mae Mordabito: What if at a key moment in the game my, my uniform bursts open and, uh, oops., my bosoms come flying out? That, that might draw a crowd, right?
      Doris Murphy: You think there are men in this country who ain’t seen your bosoms?

And while it was a comedy, and really just to entertain, it touched on a lot of real issues.

3. BOHAN
      April 16th, 2013 | 5:29 pm

1. Field of Dreams
      2. Bull Durham
      3. Major Legaues (all 3)
      4. Eight Men Out
      5. The Sandlot
      6. The Bad News Bears (1st one)
      7. A League of their Own
      8. For the Love of the Game
      9. 61*
      10. Fever Pitch
      11. Pride of the Yankees
      12. The Natural

Never saw Cobb, Soul of the Game or Sugar… And I haven’t seen 42 either but from everything I’ve heard it’ll be moving into my top 5

4. #15
      April 16th, 2013 | 5:44 pm

@ BOHAN:
      I like your list better than Steve’s original, but I would move Pride of the Yankees up into the top 4 or 5, and Major Leagues and the BNB down. The Natural is overrated and over-dramatized.

I haven’t seen Fever Pitch or 42.

5. Scout
      April 16th, 2013 | 8:16 pm

Field of Dreams and Bull Durham are atop my list. I watch Field of Dreams every April at the start of the season to get in a baseball mood.

6. Evan3457
      April 16th, 2013 | 10:26 pm

My I humbly insert Bang the Drum Slowly into the discussion.
      It’s an idiosyncratic favorite of mine.

7. April 17th, 2013 | 8:55 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

Fever Pitch over The Bad News Bears?!? The Bad News Bears is a classic!

Agreed that Bears is a landmark film. But, as crazy as it sounds, because it’s the Red Sox and 2004, which is just poison to me, usually, Fever Pitch struck a chord with me: http://www.netshrine.com/feverpitch.html

8. April 17th, 2013 | 8:56 am

#15 wrote:

The Natural is overrated and over-dramatized.

But, it’s the Scooter’s favorite movie after North by Northwest! :-)

9. April 17th, 2013 | 8:58 am

OldYanksFan wrote:

‘A League of their Own’ gets so little respect.

I would LOVE this movie if it didn’t have Rosie O’Donnell and Madonna in it. Take them out and it’s knocking on the door of my Top Five. In any event, it is extremely well done.

10. April 17th, 2013 | 8:59 am

Evan3457 wrote:

My I humbly insert Bang the Drum Slowly into the discussion.

Would like this one more if the ball playing wasn’t so bad. It was sort of painful to watch them in uniform “playing.”

11. April 17th, 2013 | 9:01 am

Scout wrote:

I watch the Natural every winter when there’s a ton of snow outside to get me over my no baseball depression.

12. April 17th, 2013 | 9:02 am

BOHAN wrote:

Never saw Cobb, Soul of the Game or Sugar

I highly recommend all three – in the order you listed them.

13. MJ Recanati
      April 17th, 2013 | 9:18 am

@ Steve L.:
      I loved Sugar. Along those lines, I liked “Ballplayer: Pelotero” which is a documentary about two Dominican ballplayers (inluding Twins prospect Miguel Sano) trying to make it to the big leagues.

14. April 17th, 2013 | 9:58 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I liked “Ballplayer: Pelotero”

Thanks – gotta check that one out.

15. Mr. October
      April 17th, 2013 | 6:57 pm

As much as I love the game of baseball, I’ve never been a fan of “baseball movies” in general for some reason. But I’ve always loved Ueker and in a different sense Rene Russo when she was younger, so I would have to go with Major League, Field of Dreams, and Bull Durham in that order…

16. Evan3457
      April 18th, 2013 | 1:17 am

Steve L. wrote:

Scout wrote:

The Natural is a great movie for the Randy Newman score alone. And even if the you think the Main Theme is overdramatic, I suggest you go to YouTube and listen to the short piece “A Father Makes all the Difference”. “Iris and Roy”, even shorter, is also wonderful.

17. April 18th, 2013 | 7:19 am

Evan3457 wrote:

The Natural is a great movie for the Randy Newman score alone.

Agreed, 100%

18. April 21st, 2013 | 9:00 pm

[...] I had to rank “42″ in terms of my favorite all-time baseball movies, it probably wouldn’t crack my “Top 5,” but, for sure, it would be in my [...]