• ’13 Yankees, Third In The East & Sixth Overall In The A.L.

Posted by on April 25th, 2013 · Comments (8)

That’s where the Yankees sit, today, on April 25th.

Why do I have a feeling that’s where they’re also going to be at the end of the year?

Comments on ’13 Yankees, Third In The East & Sixth Overall In The A.L.

1. G.I. Joey
      April 25th, 2013 | 11:01 am

I think you might have that feeling b/c it fits into the doom & gloom narrative you put forth, which seems to stem from your distaste for Brian Cashman as GM and almost every player that does not fit the mold of the Yankees you remember in the late 70′s or the Core Four as of recent years.

Being in third right now isn’t terribly alarming when you are a half a game behind second and two and half games behind first.

2. Garcia
      April 25th, 2013 | 11:36 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

What he said!

3. Evan3457
      April 25th, 2013 | 12:16 pm

You have this feeling because…that’s who you are.

Your feeling may been pessimistic…or optimistic. Anything can happen this year.

================================
      off-off-off topic…

Prospect Mason Williams arrested for DUI, so as per Ricketson (or is it Macmillan?; I can never tell them apart…) he’s finished as a player. Because no player in any sport ever has ever come back from a DUI arrest.

4. Ricketson
      April 25th, 2013 | 1:54 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Prospect Mason Williams arrested for DUI, so as per Ricketson… he’s finished as a player.

Not an indicator of a finished player, just a red flag. I would like to feel more optimistic about how a trade I was against based on information that was publicly available “at the time” will play out in the years that follow, and with each DUI arrest that optimism can only be diminished. The possibility of a Cashman trade of young talent succeeding is almost non-existent to begin with.

5. Evan3457
      April 25th, 2013 | 7:38 pm

Ricketson wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

Well, we’ll see. I just hope Pineda can stay healthy. Then we’ll see if his stuff is diminished. If it isn’t, he’ll be OK, and maybe better than OK.

6. KPOcala
      April 25th, 2013 | 11:16 pm

By the numbers, the Yankees IMHO, are damned lucky to have hung this close. And if Youk is out for an extended period……. It’s easy to put the blame on Cashman with regards to a farm system that really hasn’t done a hell of a lot. And it’s easy to say, “well, they never get to pick high”. But, at some point, it’s Cashman’s JOB to figure out which scouting and development people need to be tossed. Because it’s almost impossible, with all the above slot picks, and the international signings, that in the last, let’s make it 13 years that only two “impact” players, to this point have been developed. Cano and Jackson. Please correct me if I missed someone…

7. Greg H.
      April 25th, 2013 | 11:27 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

LOL. Every once in a while, we have the privilege to welcome back an old friend with a pristine quote like this one. Welcome back G.I. Joey.

KPOcala wrote:

By the numbers, the Yankees IMHO, are damned lucky to have hung this close.

Either lucky, OR, they scouted Vernon Wells and Travis Hafner accurately, and made two excellent free agent signings in Pettite and Kuroda, and appraised the catching situation better than expected.

Guess it just depends on the perspective.

8. MJ Recanati
      April 26th, 2013 | 9:29 am

KPOcala wrote:

Chien-Ming Wang, Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain?