• Brooklyn Cyclones Go Plastic

Posted by on May 7th, 2013 · Comments (7)

Via CBS NewYork

The Brooklyn Cyclones’ all-natural field is going, going, gone.

The Mets’ Single-A affiliate will play its home games on artificial turf starting this season after Superstorm Sandy spoiled the grass surface at Coney Island’s MCU Park.

The Cyclones have installed cutting-edge FieldTurf, which “has the look and feel of traditional sod, but is optimally designed for durability and severe weather,” according to the team’s official website.

“Our new field will be a great addition to MCU Park,” Cyclones general manager Steve Cohen said in a statement. “The added durability of the playing surface allows us to use the ballpark almost year-round. We can now host soccer, football, lacrosse, concerts, corporate outings and more in addition to the youth, high school and college baseball games that we typically schedule. Equally important is the fact that it is designed to withstand severe weather, which bodes well in the event that the recent trend of storms continues.”

The pitcher’s mound and batter’s boxes will remain a mixture of clay and dirt.

I’ve never been to a Cyclones game. If I recall correctly, they draw well. I wonder how the plastic grass will register with their faithful fans?

Comments on Brooklyn Cyclones Go Plastic

1. MJ Recanati
      May 7th, 2013 | 4:25 pm

I highly doubt that attendees at Cyclones games will notice or care that the ballpark will use FieldTurf instead of grass.

Cyclones games are fun because it’s right on the boardwalk so, on a nice summer day or night, you can be right on the beach. Coney Island isn’t the blighted area it was when I was growing up (although the new Luna Park is a far cry from the original feel that I remember as a kid).

In any case, it’s a great place to watch a ballgame and the surface of the field won’t matter at all.

2. G.I. Joey
      May 7th, 2013 | 4:49 pm

Makes for a good concert venue too.

3. MJ Recanati
      May 7th, 2013 | 5:01 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

Makes for a good concert venue too.

Very true. I’ve only been to one concert there (in 2004) but it’s a fun place to see a show.

May 7th, 2013 | 7:18 pm

I’ve been to a handful of Cyclones games, I doubt that the fans’ll care that they changed the playing surface. It’s nice that they’ll get more usage out of the field, and there won’t be a need for as much maintenance with wear and tear.

Lot of FieldTurf in NYC, isn’t there? A lot of fields that I’ve played on have been replaced with the stuff.

5. MJ Recanati
      May 8th, 2013 | 9:04 am

Raf wrote:

Definitely. DeWitt Clinton Park on 11th Avenue in the 50′s is FieldTurf, as is Asphalt Green on York Avenue in the 90′s. Played a lot of softball games at both. I think Riverbank State Park on Riverside Drive in the 140′s is also FieldTurf; played one or two games there a few years ago.

May 8th, 2013 | 12:41 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Good to know… I played @ DeWitt Clinton before they went to turf, that was a terrible playing field. Riverside was converted to turf, I remember seeing it driving on the Henry Hudson. Another field I used to play on before they converted. Bad, but wasn’t as bad as Clinton. Asphalt Green is pretty nice, played a few times there too. Back then, they had the regular green Astroturf, IIRC.

7. MJ Recanati
      May 8th, 2013 | 1:07 pm

Raf wrote:

Back then, they had the regular green Astroturf, IIRC.

Correct. And it wasn’t so much “green” as “blind your eyes radioactive green sludge colored.” Heh :-D